快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Pics From Natural Chimneys

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Ok, I know nobody asked for em but here they are. The following is from the brochure;^]

Introducing The Chimneys
~We are seven ranging in height from 65 to 120 feet. We are made of layers of limestone formed from sediment under an ancient sea that once covered the valley. Our age? A mere 500 million years. Our birthday dates from the Paleozoic era, Cambrian period.

Why we remain standing
~Powerful natural forces pushed our rock layers up to mountain height and left us in a level position which is quite rare. Thus we have been better able to resist erosion through the centuries.

Our rock is very hard as it contains iron and magnesium. Our tops are chert, which owes its hardness to silicon lift at this spot by the growth of sponges when we were under the sea.

Our Unique Features
~Our tunnels are entirely natural. They were once part of a cavern, cut out centuries ago by an underground stream.

The tower on the left leans 13.5 feet, approximately the same as the Tower Of Pisa in Italy. Six feeet up from the ground each tower has a 12 inch band of lava that squeezed in between our layers from a volcanic disturbance about ten miles north of here.

Through the centuries we have defied the ravages of time. The wind, as it blows about the trees that grow from our tops, tells of passing time and events- but ever we reamain.

发表时间 Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 11:28 pm
Nice - where are these located? - I'd never heard of them before

发表时间 Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 11:31 pm
They're in Mt. Solen VA, about 20 miles of harrisonburg. They're having a music festival there sept. 28 - 30 called Spaghettifest. I just missed the jousting tournament by a few days. It's really nice there, the freshest air I've tasted around here;^]

发表时间 Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 11:37 pm
Should have added in the US. Sorry, I didn't realise you were in Edmonton;^]

发表时间 Wed 22 Aug 07 @ 11:57 pm

Pretty amazing shapes.. wow..

God is an artist after all ;)

发表时间 Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 12:00 am
dj-in-norway wrote :

Pretty amazing shapes.. wow..

God is an artist after all ;)

He is that indeed. I just wish I had've gotten pictures of the caves and tunnels, they seemed like they went on forever.

Heh, next trip is to Natural Bridge and their drive through Safari Park;^]

发表时间 Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 12:09 am
Timmyg1978 wrote :
Should have added in the US. Sorry, I didn't realise you were in Edmonton;^]

No worries.

i caught on after you put VA.

发表时间 Thu 23 Aug 07 @ 12:14 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)