快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Audio Crossover help please

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Pat_DJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hello,

I'm renting two subs this weekend for a big gig, although, I'm not two sure how to use the Crossover to get everything up and running smoothly.

At the moment I've got two Mackie SRM450, and I'm adding two 18" Sub.

Could anyone please help me out how to plug everything together?

Do I need to plug my two SRM in the crossover and also the AMP of the Subs?

Also, I'm planning of playing MONO.

Please help. If you got any questions please ask and I'll try to help out also.

Kind Regards,
Pat

发表时间 Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 3:01 pm
So your two 18" subs are connected to an amp (rather than being powered like the mackies?

Assuming they are...

Your two outputs from the mixer should go to the two inputs on the crossover.

Then your two mackie srm450 speakers will plug into the "high" outputs of the crossover.

Finally the the inputs to the sub woofer amplifier should be connected to the "low" outputs of the crossover. (and of course the subs connected to the output of the amplifier in the usual way.)

Unfortunately, that's the easy part! the hard part is adjusting the crossover to make it sound good.

There should be a dial to set the crossover frequency, a "gain" knob for both high and low outputs, along with a few other ones like input gain, etc.

The crossover point really depends on the subwoofers, each are different. If the subs are really powerful, you could set the crossover frequency quite high (200Hz maybe), so the mackies have less work to do (making the system louder overall). But some subs are designed just to do the lowest end of the bass (for those deep rumbles), for that kind of thing, a lower crossover frequency would be better, say 100Hz.

Just imagine like your sharing the sound up, if you give the subs to much work (by setting a high crossover point), then they won't be able to go very loud.

But if you give them hardly any sound (with a low crossover point like 80Hz), then they'll go very loud, but the mackies will have a lot more to do, so they won't be as loud and it will sound very bass heavy overall.

Best thing to do is leave LOADS of time to play with the setup, so you can adjust the crossover, go out to the front, have a listen, then alter the gain or crossover point, and try again.

Very important point, you want both speaker set clipping at about the same output level, otherwise you'll be wasting some speaker power. (for example, if your subs are clipping when your mackies are only at half power, then your not fully utilising the mackie's power because you won't be able to turn the system up any more due to the subs clipping.) Thats where setting the right point comes in for maximum loudness, (but also decent sound quality- so you might have to compromise a bit.)

oh, and best of all, try and download a copy of the crossover's user manual, hopefully that will have step by step instructions, and will make it a lot easier.

发表时间 Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 3:30 pm
andytaylor125, don't know what else could I say but THANKS YOU VERY MUCH.

The hardest part for me was knowing how to plug in everything.

Also, you've got it right, there's passive subs not actives like the SRM

But Thanks a lot for all your help!

发表时间 Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 3:42 pm
No problems.

Good luck getting everything set up.

Just a quick thought though, some crossovers have a "3 way" mode as well as a 2-way (which is what you're doing), so if something doesn't sound right, maybe you've accidentally got this third part being made which doesn't go to any speakers.

You sound quite confident about getting it going once you've plugged it in, so I'm sure you'll be fine.

Have a good gig.

发表时间 Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 3:48 pm
Hi Andy,

Although, isn't that just a button option? You press it becomes 3way and unpress is 2way?

Also, do you know what "low sum" meants?

I'm base on a DBX: have a look:

http://www.dbxpro.com/234/234.php

Kind Regards,
Pat

发表时间 Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 3:58 pm
If it's just a button like you say, it should be easy- i just thought I'd mention it because they're all different.

And low sum means that the "low" outputs will "summed" together to give mono on the subwoofers.

It's a common arrangement to have both subs working in mono (for maximum bass, and because you wouldn't be able to hear any stereo effects in the sub woofers), and the tops working in stereo (so you get all the nice effects). Kind of a "best of both" option, power on the bass, but detail in the highs.

So personally I'd have the low sum option turned ON. But if you're working completely in mono anyway, it won't make any difference either way

发表时间 Fri 03 Aug 07 @ 5:57 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)