快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: External USB hard disks not visible - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I have just purchased mac bk pro and very pleased overall. I have been a pc user and have a couple of questions about the mac version.

1 I store all my mp3s on a usb hard disk. I have tried 2 different external hard drives and they do not appear in the mac version of virtual dj. They do appear in the pc version! what's happening here please? Is there a way of adding them if they do not appear? ps My usb pen drive does appear! but it is not big enough for all my mp3s

2 I can drag and drop from Finder but doing it this way, I can only order my files by name (instead of title and artist - in windows version). Is there a way of viewing tag properties in mac version so I can see both artist and file name?

I can't wait to get it working with my dac3 I hear it is in the next release.

Thanks

发表时间 Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 1:34 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
how is the drive formated ?

发表时间 Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 2:29 am
windows nt

发表时间 Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 4:12 am
k_onePRO InfinityMember since 2006
there is your answer right there.
Your drive need to be HFS+ or FAT to be read by your MAC....

发表时间 Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 5:59 am
however, there are a couple of software utilities to make NTFS read -and writable on OSX.
Just do a search on google and you'll find what you need...

发表时间 Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 6:00 am
I have duplicate pairs of hard drives, one pair is formatted for winxp and the other for mac. I can read both on my MBP.

发表时间 Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 5:43 pm
I would guess that your WinXP one is formatted FAT and not NTFS then...

发表时间 Sun 29 Jul 07 @ 6:14 pm
k_one wrote :
I would guess that your WinXP one is formatted FAT and not NTFS then...

Its NTSF. I can read it on my MBP. I have used it to copy to a FAT formated HD for use with VDJ. But your right...It does not show up in VDJ folders. I did not try that untill just now. Thats weird that I can read it on the MBP but not VDJ.

发表时间 Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 11:56 am
Hm, I never tried this exactly myself.
But this might have to do with the fact the NTFS drives are "Read Only" on MAC.
Even though you are able to read a NTFS drive on your MAC, I would really recommend you to use FAT or HFS+.

发表时间 Mon 30 Jul 07 @ 12:40 pm
k_one wrote :
Hm, I never tried this exactly myself.
But this might have to do with the fact the NTFS drives are "Read Only" on MAC.
Even though you are able to read a NTFS drive on your MAC, I would really recommend you to use FAT or HFS+.

It seem if it is read only, I should be able to read it with VDJ. Maybe I am missing something in my thinking about this. Doesn't read only mean I just cannot write to the drive? (Read Only: Capable of being displayed, but not modified or deleted. All operating systems allow you to protect objects (disks, files, directories) with a read-only attribute that prevents other users from modifying the object.) I use FAT for my mac and NTSF for my Windows. I keep copies on both formats for various reasons, one being it is easy to use it as backup in case of HD failure. It would be nice to be able to read NTSF with VDJ for emergency purposes. I never needed it for this before, but it would be a great feeling to know I could.

发表时间 Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 11:58 am
Hm, I guess you're right...at least it sounds logical.
But I can't verify since I do not have a NTFS formatted drive at the moment.
Can anyone else verify this? ConQuest maybe?

发表时间 Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 1:08 pm
Your comments are much appreciated. Having taken this advice I bought a new hard drive and have formatted it using my MBP. I had to use mac to format it as my windows pc OS is vista and in disk management there is no longer the option to select FAT32! Previously in window XP there were option to select which format you want. Now no option in vista. Anyway it is formatted so it can be read in VDJ on my mac. Great!

Of course my windows pc cannot read this drive I formatted on the mac, so I can't transfer files to or from it on my windows pc. However I can see both drives on the MBP, allowing me to transfer from my windows NT external hard drive (mp3s) to my new MBP external hard drive.

I have been interested in using time coded vinyl for a while. So I picked up a maya44 sound card (I used gigaport up till now) and 2 technics turntables and a couple of time coded vinyl. And to my horror VDJ does not support maya44 hence it doesn't work!! It looks like I'm off to bootcamp until the next release, especially since my dac3 is not supported in the mac version yet!!

I have it all working on an old windows laptop but took a lot of fiddling about to get one of the turntables to respond in the time coded configuration. To start with it was on 0% and after I adjusted the weight mechanisms on the turntable it works well on both. I can assume that the problem was caused by not enough pressure on the needle of the vinyl. Although there is a high pitched drone noise coming from the time coded vinyl (more on one deck than the other) is this normal?

Thanks for the advice earlier.

发表时间 Tue 31 Jul 07 @ 6:41 pm
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I do hope that the new release will support the external hd in watever the disk is formatted:) I do have the above problem too rite now with one of my ext hd n i do not have time to reformat it:(

Well guys, i back to mac again... anxiously waiting again.hehe

Cheers

发表时间 Thu 20 Sep 07 @ 9:45 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
mac cant support ntfs , spinna so what hope does vdj have..

发表时间 Thu 20 Sep 07 @ 10:29 pm
its ok.. i koe..hehe but "if" ...only :P

Cheers:)

发表时间 Fri 21 Sep 07 @ 9:43 am
Most of the threads posts in this thread have INCORRECT information. Mac can do:

RW: FAT
RW: FAT32
RW: HFS (Obviously)
R: NTFS

So yes, Macs can READ NTFS volumes just fine. The Mac version of VDJ however will not show an NTFS volume, period. This was pointed out to the dev team during the beta tests. Not sure why the Mac can see the volume and VDJ can not.

发表时间 Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 1:17 am
For the love of gawd ... are there seriously people still posting that Macs can't read NTFS?!!!

This is a SERIOUS issue that definitely needs to be resolved with the release of VDJ/VV 5.0 Mac!

- VT ConQuest
(Visual Turntablist)

发表时间 Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 9:17 am
I second that.

发表时间 Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 11:33 am
+ 3

发表时间 Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 5:28 pm
+4.hehe

发表时间 Wed 26 Sep 07 @ 9:09 pm
87%