快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: How can I break into the club scene.

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi

I need some advice really. I really would like to break in to the club scene and I would like to know how some of you pro's have made it, whether by skill, knowing the right people, being lucky or just hard work and determenation.

I have been mixing and spinning vinyl for about 10 years or so and I have been using VDJ for about 4 months now, been playing in pubs and partys. I think I have the ability but need a little break.

I was thinking of making a mixed CD of what I can do and sending it to clubs in my city. Is this a good idea??

I would be intreseted in your views.

Many Thank's

Jimmy b

发表时间 Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 3:53 pm

- Make a CV/Resume about you, your style, your music prefferences, etc
- Make a demo CD
- Go visit the club owners

They are always looking for new talents;)

And get to know other working gig djs.. They often let you have a go ;)

发表时间 Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 4:08 pm
From my experience, it's all about who you know. Start to get to know all the DJs and promoters in your area. Sometimes a person with no skill can get a job just because they know the right person. Sad to say, but that's how it is.

发表时间 Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 5:57 pm
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
D-Twizzle wrote :
From my experience, it's all about who you know. Start to get to know all the DJs and promoters in your area. Sometimes a person with no skill can get a job just because they know the right person. Sad to say, but that's how it is.

So true ;)

发表时间 Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 8:15 pm
When I had to do this, I also made it personal to that club, and left my custom drops on it. This may sound like a lot, but it has always worked for me. This is how I do it. I mix a cd, and put some of my drops in. Some are with my voice, so they know how I sound on the mic, and some are drops I had made. These drops are done by a professional (the guy you hear on the radio), with effects. This way if they use my mix live at the club, they hear who I am. This also keeps someone from selling my mix as their own. I then start another cd with a "Welcome to (the name of the club)" with my voice and effects, and then the mixed cd. This way they think I made it just for them. Do this for as many clubs as you want, it works.

发表时间 Tue 17 Jul 07 @ 8:53 pm
either get very lucky or be very skilled and known.

having a demo is always a good idea, but sometimes not a requirement. look for a club that is on the edge of having trouble and sell yourself to the owner/manager. offer to start part-time or, if you have a really large pair, flat out tell the owner that you can do better than his resident (and you BETTER be able to back it up!) but before you do that - DO YOUR RESEARCH!
find out what the customers like and don't like. find out why that club needs a different or a second dj. be ready to offer really good ideas to owner/management to help turn club around, and be ready for them to be a complete ass about wanting to do things their way. and yeah, you're gonna have to kiss a certain amount of ass but thats' par for the course.

the only other advice i can give about getting into the club scene is: DON'T! what are you tryin to do steal out jobs?

just kidding. good luck looking.

发表时间 Wed 18 Jul 07 @ 3:18 am
Quote :
This way they think I made it just for them

Thats genius.

发表时间 Wed 18 Jul 07 @ 4:48 pm
In a crowd of a thousand, the guy with the yellow suit gets noticed. Anybody can make a mixed CD, and a club owner can get hundreds. I personally can\'t stand Cd\'s that have been labeled with a magic marker, so all of my Cd\'s are labeled with the club name, my name and graphics. The case has the same thing, plus title and artist and looks like it was bought in a store. With all the labeling software out there, it takes no time. At the end of the night, when he\'s looking through the Cd\'s, guess which one gets picked first?

If you do get an audition, be prepared. You need to know how to use whatever equipment is in the booth. Go to the local DJ store, and familiarize yourself with equipment, so there are no surprises. It\'s not enough to have all the hottest music, you need to be able to program it to that crowd. Anybody can audition with the 20 hit tracks, that takes no skill. Be able to rock the house with tracks that are not on the top 50 chart. Bring you own mic, and have all the info for announcements written down. You don\'t ask for this info, you are prepared because you were there all week, taking notes. You heard what the other DJ was saying, you noticed any signs that were up, and any fliers that are out for special promotions. Don\'t get carried away, you just want to mention the important ones, and let them hear how you sound. By the way, in case you don\'t know, never make announcements over vocals, wait for a instrumental break.

Going the extra mile will always put you in front. The market is full of mediocre DJs. My motto is \"Never promise more then you can deliver, but always deliver more then you promised\".

Please make all checks payable to A Man and His Music, after you get the gig.

发表时间 Wed 18 Jul 07 @ 10:00 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)