快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: VDJ vs Serato

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I'm not sure if this topic already exists, but I wanted to make a post because I was once in this boat. Once upon a time, I wasn't sure wether to invest in a Virtual DJ setup or just to spring for Serato. After owning both and using both extensively, I've concluded the following.
As a mixing/audio editing software, Virtual DJ is excellent. It has all the features you would need to make a dynamite mix or remixes of your favorite songs, which I still do all the time. But like many others, I wanted to be able to incorporate my turntables into my mixing. I myself am a hip hop turntablist DJ. Scratching is a big part of my performance, so I looked into getting the timecoded vinyls. After much research on the forum trying to figure out what I needed to make this work, I was able to get a pretty good idea of what my setup should look like. Then, I had to go hunting on the internet for an affordable ASIO sound card for my laptop with 4 in & outs. No easy task by the way, at least in the US if you don't want to spend more on the card than you did on your laptop. I ended up getting the Maya 44usb, which is the cheapest alternative, but extremely hard to find seeing it's discontinued.
Soon after I had gotten my TCVs setup and had been using them for a while, I decided to try out SSL, because frankly the response for scratching on VDJ was just not cutting it. When it comes to their performace as vinyl simulation programs, SSL blows VDJ out of the water. There's not even a slight level of competition. The time code is dead on with SSL; virtually no latency. With VDJ, I could barely get the track to move with the my record movements. It was having a hard time picking up the time code with any movement other than normal.
Another key difference is the authenticity of the sound. SSL sounds like actual vinyl, where VDJ still sounded digital, not really the sound you wanna go for if your scratching. Perhaps VDJ will adjust this in one of their later versions.
One thing that VDJ does have over SSL is the interface. Of course it depends on which skin your running, but most of them have almost all the same keys and features present, such as the loop button, jog wheel, and even master tempo, that SSL does not have.
Here's a breakdown of what it costs to get up and running if your looking to start spinning the TCVs.

VDJ Pro - $129 (if you get the internet discount)
2 TCVs - $60 shipped (US)
ASIO soundcard - $120-$250

SSL - $500 (best internet price)

Let's say you find a pretty good deal on a soundcard for about $150. That bring your total to about $350. My suggestion to you turntablist our there looking to go digital, is to spend the extra $150 and get the real thing. I wish I would've done that from the beginning, because $350 is a lot to spend as it is for a program that you can't even scratch on, which is the reason I got it to begin with.

发表时间 Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 8:38 am
P.S. I've got my own purchased copy of VDJ pro but never updated my account. Just fyi.

Mod: Sure thing....why do you use a cracked version of 3.01?

发表时间 Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 8:40 am
So just update it now :)

发表时间 Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 9:28 am
ok......

发表时间 Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 9:41 am
what version do U own? for 129 it has to be 3.2 or earlier ...i purchased vdj 3.4 for 149 during the dj show presentation and i watched the forum for @ least a couple of mths b4 i purchased it ....why would u buy a program and not wanna update it ? cause we all know everything gets better with time...technics mk1...2....3;pio cdj mk1..2..3;vdj 3.4...4.0....4.1/ru.; even denon has upgraded(they just make u wait for an update and change firmware version).

even serato ;they have update versions 1.1...1.2....1.6...1.6.1...etc .; So u dont register thier product either?

i am a scratcher my self i do tt tricks as well i also use maya44 usb and even though 4.0 is a good inprovement over 3.4 .... i was scratching my ass off with no problems check the mixes they speak for themselve: http://www.myspace.com/dj_t_boogie
how can u come into someones crib and start critisizing with no proof? u bout as bad as the president ;starting a war hell it still aint over and im still waiting for a piece of nuclear something of proof that they were supposed to been making!

well my serial says pro.edition user and my mixes r hot is what everyone tells me;you need to show u arent a crack user before u start talkin down our crib we are here everyday 24/7 helping each other out and even helping out ppl that r intersted in joining us as well;even though some of em r crack users too.lol(a crack user on this forum refers to ones who r too cheap to purchase so they decide to alter the expiration date of a demo so it wont expire )..

!!!!! Holla!!!!!!!

发表时间 Fri 03 Nov 06 @ 2:11 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)