快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Opinions on this price quote for gigging computer

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

djdawgHome userMember since 2005
I'm looking to go digital and was entertaining the thought of building a computer myself but time is a factor and there would probably be quite a learning curve. I know it's great for everyone to build their own computer at one time or another but just for giggles, I got a price quote from a local company for the project. I'll be running Virtual DJ and will not be doing anything else with it...for the most part. No internet or anything like that.

The quote does not include monitor, keyboard, mouse, or case. I have to bring them the case for it which will be a rack mounted case that will fit in my skb mixer case. Do you think the prices are reasonable? Do you think I should use different pieces than what I have listed? Will this system run VDJ well? I'm doing audio only...no video or karaoke or time coded vinyl and I'm not looking to do overkill either...Maybe there are other pieces that will run it just as good and cost less. (?) Looks like they're only charging me $50 to put the whole thing together.

Processor
AMD Sempron 2500+ PGA754 1.5ghz $65.99

Ram
ME-512/32 ddr - 512 MB PC3200 ddr $59.00

Sound card (already had suggestions to use different card)
Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Creative $189.00

Hard drive
300 Gig Sea 7200 SATA 8 mb $179.00
OS

Windows Xp Home license $89.00

CD/DVD
NEC ND3520A/GNB - SW $59.00

Video Card
ASUS AX300SE 128mb Pcie DVI $79.00

Labor
Custom Build $49.00

Motherboard
ASUS K8N nF3 SATA 800 FSB $79.00

Total $848.98
Sales Tx $74.71
Grand total $923.69

发表时间 Sat 15 Oct 05 @ 8:30 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
If you like AMD is better to get an Athlon XP 64 man... I don't think the sempron is a good option. For the Sound Card get a Creative X-Fi Platinum, works better than Audigy 2 and will work with TCVs or TCCDs also (In case you need it in the future).

Check these:

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/41590/Hardware_Technical_Support/Complete_Hardware_Checklist__.html

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/14111/Hardware_Technical_Support/PC_Setup_for_VJ_ing_--_How_about_this_.html

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/13999/Hardware_Technical_Support/HELP__BUILDING_PC_FOR_VDJ___.html

http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/13726/Hardware_Technical_Support/Buying_a_new_pc__CoNfUsEd_.html

Good Luck!

发表时间 Sat 15 Oct 05 @ 9:27 pm
Thanks acw...now that you mention it, I remember telling the guy I wanted the 64...not sure why he didn't have that in the list. Hmmm...Would you consider that sound card a "pro" sound card?

发表时间 Sat 15 Oct 05 @ 9:40 pm
Those threads are pretty good acw but they all are pertaining to builds for systems to run either tcv or video. I'm not doing either...

I wish the higher ups at VDJ (attn Cyder! LOL) would put current recommendations or better yet, some brand names and model numbers for each type of system: those wanting to do audio only, then additional features you should have for tcv, and then video, etc. I know there are differering opinions out there but you could put "Pentium 4 or AMD 64" stuff like that so those of us that don't know a video card from our sphincter would know what to buy...I'm trying to learn though.

发表时间 Sat 15 Oct 05 @ 9:53 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
If you build a new PC if going to be for use a year at least... Is cheaper to have a PC that let you use another functions with out a problem. I highly recommend you to use Athlon or Pentium 4 instead of Semptron or Celeron.

I only want you to have the best for your money... X-Fi Platinum is better than Audigy2 ZS Platinum and isn't to much the price difference.

发表时间 Sat 15 Oct 05 @ 10:36 pm
I would really recommend not building your own PC. I have always bought Dell computers for cheaper than I can build my own. My most recent Dell systems are DUAL 3.0Ghz Xeon (64bit) with 1GB ram, and I paid $999 for them. I believe you can configure a Dell comparable to your system above for cheaper.

发表时间 Sun 16 Oct 05 @ 12:11 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Dawg,
Here's some better advice.
For what you are doing there are some killer laptop (even dual) set ups with raised shelves I like.
If you are just doing music, keep it simple, your back will last longer also.
Browse some blogs here and check out what guys are doing with 2 step piano stands and coffins.

The only reason I built the system I did was because of video needs, my 4 year old 2.4 512 sony still works perfect with controller and externals in a Odyssey box.
Look at what Colorado is doing also, they definately cater to digital guys with their equipment.

If you want to build for the future, think about rack.
BTW its easy to get all messed up with the cheapest components, that is the last place for an amature working through mail order. Those problems have messed the best, so remember that when ordering.

BTW, I posted the hardware specs for the machines that were built for the AC show on chat a while back. They are tower chassis, but easy to build the other way. There were 5 built by professionals and if I remember, a couple of them had issues that slowed the process considerably with troubleshooting.
You don't want to be there, it can be pretty helpless at times.

Now as far as a laptop goes, spec one out, order it and have the company install an oem os, no bloatware in other words.
PC Connection has techs that will build pretty much anything you want to spec.
http://www.pcconnection.com/home
They are very helpfull on the phone.

In my blog you will see my small back up. Nothing ever gets disconnected from that machine. That is one of the hidden long term problems with so many connections in and out over and over.
I just close the lid and the laptop is locked in place.
So you have options galore, good luck.

Hope this helps Dawg, I know you have been on the fence waiting for a while.
But if you aren't doing video or karaoke it will only look better as a rack which is personal choice imo.
A rack is more commanding and impressive, but not always worth the weight.

发表时间 Sun 16 Oct 05 @ 12:51 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)