快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Question on purchasing hardware

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

skillaPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi.
I used to DJ on turntables from about 89 till around 97 or so. It was more of a part time / hobby job. I've been out of it since then. Sold and gave away most of my music and equipment. However, I do like music and DJing and around that time I had a demo of a program called Virtual Turntables (don't know if anyone heard of it). It was a nice program at the time and I bought it and I've used it occassionally since then. It's OK but I miss the "hands on" feel of a turntable.
I recently purchased a Hercules Console (about a week ago). to get back that feel. Although I think the Herc is a nice controller for beginners, it's really not for me. I'm planning on giving it away to a friend of mine. Anyway, i want to invest in something else. I was looking at the XP10 but because it doesn't "spin" like the turntables I really won't enjoy the DJing. In short what I need is something that will do everything like a turntable, but instead of playing actual vinyls, it will play MP3s off my computer. In addition to that something that my turntables could never do was auto-start from a cue point. I like that feature. The hercules also doesn't do it. You can set a cue point but then you have to press play to start and cue to go back to the cue point then play to start again. What I want is to press one button that will automatically start from the cue point. I think it's called a Stutter. Don't know. I played on a friend's Numark CDN90 recently and that button did it. I saw a Numark Battle Pak turntable package and wondered if it will do the trick for me. I saw it bundled with Mixbives on a site (the package was called Mixvibes DVS battle pak) . This is the site.

http://www.bpmdigitaldjgear.com/product_info.php/cPath/42_67/products_id/135

However, I don't want the mixvibes software. I do still have an old 4 channel mixer that I can use. So my question, If I buy the numark battle pak (not the mixvibes but just the battle pak)

http://www.samash.com/catalog/showitem.asp?ItemID=21471&TempID=4&sourcetype=homepageitem

what else would I need to get back that 'vinyl' feel, but with MP3s and a 'stutter' button?
Also I don't like using keyboards to DJ or the mouse. I'll only use that to find the music. But I do like the VDJ community (based on the forum as compared to others) soI will buy the VDJ for that.
I'm really sorry for the long post and for linking other people's products, but I don't want to make the same mistake again. And you all have a lot more experience than me.
I'm not going back professionally, it will be only for my house and for friends parties, etc. I already have a few weddings and parties to play for in the next 2 months or so. Would like to get everything before that.
I do want vinyl to do some serious scratching at home (I wont scratch at parties because not all people appreciate it - but I think scratching is fun and it helps with your rhythm and keeps the fingers nimble). Even if there's a non-tuntable product that can do what I want, and you guys think it's good, I'll look into it. Don't want to spend too much money though. About US 600.00 is my budget.
Thanks

发表时间 Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 5:02 am
If you decide to purchase TT's along with Virtual DJ I would also recommend TimeCoded Vinyls, for a vinyl hands-on touch of your mp3s. Like mixing vinyls but they are MP3s in VDJ. It also requires the Audiotrak Maya USB soundcard. Really nice actually!
http://www.virtualdj.com/products/hardware.html

When it comes to the instant start function, I'm sorry to disappoint you. There isn't in VDJ.
There is a (half) instant start function however. When pressing first PLAY, then using the goto_cue buttons you can get the stutter effect. I'm an old Numark user aswell and I also miss that function. It has been requested, but wasn't accepted by dev team at that point.
I think though that it is a great feature, but nevertheless, all other advantages are well over other software products, in my perspective.
There are also a couple of hardware controllers supported by VDJ. Check the hardware page to see those who are.

发表时间 Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 9:23 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
skilla,

You have to go for VDJ and TCVs with the maya 44 USB or the delta 44. That's the solution you are looking for. You already have the TTs mixing skills, you don't need anything else.

Come on, be a member of this great community!

发表时间 Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 10:58 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
skilla: Maybe I misunderstand your "instant start" dilemna, but if I do understand it correctly, then that functionality is present in VDJ. You can access the cue points immediately, using and the key for the cue point number. That can be pressed repeatedly for a stutter effect, etc.
Of course you probably don't want to depend on the computer's keyboard for that so you can do what I did and get a MIDI controller and map some of its buttons to the shortcuts for each cue point.
As for the vinyl feel, TCV is the way to go. You mention that you had been impressed with a firend's CD decks, so be aware that you can also burn your own Time Coded CD's as well and then get all the benefits of whichever deck you choose, including instant start. Some even have rotating decks for a more realistic vinyl feel (at least if you have ever scratched with 45's)

Good Luck finding your ideal solution and let us know when you do ;)

发表时间 Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 4:07 pm
Thanks for all the response.

So tell me if this is what I'll need:

Numark Battle PAK - $400.00
2 TCV (Lets say 20 each) - $ 40.00
Maya 44 USB $ 120.00
Virtual DJ $ 129.00

TOTAL $ 689.00

OK This is a little over what I wanted to pay. It's not a problem too much for me but what it means is that I'll have to wait a little longer before giving away my Herc. I'll prob. look at closer to the end of the year in that case. Would I need anything else for the vinyl feel?
I'm curious about the MIDI controller. Is there a TT with some asssignable MIDI buttons? So I can use the TT with start pause and 'stutter', and not have a TT and a separate MIDI controller.

@Frd :
"You can access the cue points immediately, using and the key for the cue point number."
Would the one key access the cue Point AND start playing from that point automatically? If so then this is the Stutter effect.

Thanks

--
Moderated by Lady Cameron
Sorry skilla no email address is allowed from a demo user

发表时间 Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 8:14 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I think you will go by steps. First buy VDJ fro $129, second buy the maya (is only $109 in the USA). Third go for your TCVs and then the Numark battle pak.

If you do this you will have money before the end of the year my friend.

发表时间 Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 9:20 pm
you'll need better cardridges as the default ones coming with the battle pack if you plan on using no preamps (unless the TTS in the pack have line out)

Also the 1625s are not very good for anything but startup bedroom Djing IMO.. the ScratchpackII on the same page has better turntables (stanton str8-60) at least the stantons come with better cards. But both sets are not road proof if you ask me...

发表时间 Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 9:57 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Skilla: You have plenty of good advice here to get you started. I was out of it for years as well and you won't believe how incredible time coded vinyls are. I haven't heard great things about the Numark 1650's but I haven't tried them either. I did try The Numark TT200 which are their "pro" entry level direct drive. Numark has come a long way since the 90's. I have a relatively affordable setup. TCV's, Maya 44 usb, basic laptop but with 1 gig ram, had a Numark mixer but killed it quickly, now have a Denon x-300 ($299) and a pair of Numark 500's ($299 each) and Stanton 500 AL cartridges that I really like. It's above a beginner setup but not all out expensive. I think it's as good as what I used in clubs 10 years ago for sure. A little over your budget but a mixer without an adjustable crossfader and non-direct drive or cheap turntables will certainly kill your thoughts of scratching for fun.(or at least sounding good doing so :) I'd go in steps. You can still play and mix music with just VDJ quite well so you can buy the program for your weddings coming up. After that you can use the money you earn for the rest of the TCV setup. Good luck and hope to see you as a member soon.

发表时间 Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 10:05 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
@skilla: Yes, I use that shortcut for a stutter effect quite often.

发表时间 Wed 03 Aug 05 @ 10:54 pm
Thanks a lot for the info guys. The suggestions here alone are more than worth the 129 for VDJ.

OK I'll take it in phases.
I have a few goods suggestions regarding what to buy first etc. So over the weekend I'll contemplate all my options, check out prices, etc. and if I can juggle around a few bucks here and there you'll see me with some different icons on my name soon.
Will let you know how it turns out
Thanks

发表时间 Thu 04 Aug 05 @ 1:35 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)