快速登录:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

话题: Knob Sensitivity

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Hey all. Is there a way to adjust how sensitive the "dials and knobs" are on a controller. How can I make it less sensitive ? Thank you

发表时间 Fri 16 Apr 21 @ 1:12 pm
Hi there, i have asked this question not so long ago for the only endless encoder on both my Akai APC20 and APC40 (both mk1's) and the answer was that it is not possible in the software. These encoders are turning way too fast in VDJ, wherever they are mapped to other than eq or volume. I wanted to use them for scrolling through the samples. I asked because in Traktor you can change the resolution of encoders, faders and knobs in settings to adjust their movement. You can find my post here in the forum with the topic "TOPIC: MAPPING: ENCODER MOVES TOO FAST (AKAI APC20) FOR SCROLLING PROPERLY". DJ Dad here on the forum explained that the software just follows the midi-datastream coming from the controller. I have searched on the www to see if i could find more about why these knobs are turning that quick and i found that it is firmware of the controller related. Well, this is not an answer you was looking for specificly, but this is what i found out.... :-)

发表时间 Mon 19 Apr 21 @ 6:04 pm
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
there is perhaps a possibility by multiplying the passed/received value
i.e. param_multiply 0.33 & level
this may work with encoders, a litle more work needed for knobs if param is not relative
param and sliders/knobs/encoders is not as simple as it seems at first

发表时间 Mon 19 Apr 21 @ 6:27 pm
Hi Nicotux, thanks for your idea to use param_multiply 0.33. I just tested it on my APC's and it works flawless for the (clickless) encoders to control a volume or eq knob (or fader). E.g. I tested param_multiply 0.01 & sampler_volume which made fairly normal amount of travel of the encoder possible to adjust the sampler volume, so it might work for all volume or eq settings. However, i tried my idea to scroll with that encoder through the samples and mapped param_multiply 0.33 & sampler_select, but whatever value I used e.g. 0.33, 0.1 or 0.01, the result was a stuttering movement in the list (up and down) which was not workable. Anyway, for sure your idea using param_multiply 0.xx & 'xxxxxxx' is something to keep in mind when running into these issues with too cheerful travelling knobs and faders ;-)
Good chance it might work for GR8WHTJAAK, who asked for it initially...

Thanks Nicotux ;-)

发表时间 Mon 19 Apr 21 @ 7:56 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
yeah scaling down won't work with actions that step.
There is a way but it's a bit of a long walk for a short picnic. [lot of work with limited scope]

something like this, should drop the sensitivity to 20% for stepped actions

param_bigger 0 ? var '$CW' 1 ? cycle '$mScroll' 5 & var '$mScroll' 0 ? browser_scroll +1 : : set '$CW' 1 & set '$CCW' 0 & set '$mScroll' 0 & cycle '$mScroll' 5 : var '$CCW' 1 ? cycle '$mScroll' -5 & var '$mScroll' 0 ? browser_scroll -1 : : set '$CW' 0 & set '$CCW' 1 & set '$mScroll' 0 & cycle '$mScroll' -5 :

发表时间 Mon 19 Apr 21 @ 8:35 pm
Hello Locodog, the APC's have stepless (clickless?) encoders, not sure if your script is ment for those. T.b.h. these kind of complex scripts are a bit beyond my knowledge of scripting, but have an idea of what it does. It is time for me to hit the pillow now, but i'll test it tomorrow for sure ;-)

Thanks for your time to see if there is a way to get those encoders working...

Cheers :-)

发表时间 Mon 19 Apr 21 @ 8:57 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
encoders are always stepped machines [components] I could bore you explaining how they work, I'll do it quick,
a slider reads the slider position between; bottom/closed/minimum [0.0] to top/open/full [1.0]
an encoder is a dial that presses 2 buttons as it turns, start from no buttons pressed[both off/zero] and turn clockwise, first thing it presses button 1, it knows no button was pressed before
turn anticlockwise, first thing it presses button 2, it knows no button was pressed before
so you've gone from 0,0 to CW 1,0 or CCW 0,1
from this state turn again in the same direction and it presses the other button, and it knows where it was before
both = 1,1
turn again in the same direction and the first button gets turned to false/zero

tl:dr encoders are mechanically always 2 buttons, but the software interprets as clockwise or anticlockwise [-1 or +1]

发表时间 Mon 19 Apr 21 @ 9:41 pm
Wow !
This is another reason I luv Virtual DJ :D
This is the kinda support that is needed.
It is a bit above my pay-grade, but I'll give it a go, and let ya know.
Many thanks

发表时间 Tue 20 Apr 21 @ 9:32 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
browser_scroll is already compatible with fractions to scroll, so
param_multiply 0.1 & browser_scroll should already work to slow down scrolling.
In the current Early Access build 6417 this is also fixed for sampler_select, so param_multiply 0.1 & sampler_select should also work fine.

发表时间 Tue 20 Apr 21 @ 9:55 am
Locodog, thank you very much for explaning how the physics of an encoder work. You can never bore me with technical stuff, so it is much appreciated ;-)

Anyway, Adion just wrote about an hour ago that the simple commands with param_multiply 0.1 & xxx should work fine in the latest early-access update 6417, so forgive me that i not tested your script-string, as I first jumped into the simple command param_multiply 0.1 & sampler_select and yes: it works flawless now. The travel of the encoder-knob has been slowed down indeed. Finally I am using param_multiply 0.005 & sampler_select to fine-tune the movement, but that's just a detail ;-)

For me it is solved, I am sure GR8WHTJAAK will get his knobs going too with this info ;-)

Thank you very much guys,
Harry

发表时间 Tue 20 Apr 21 @ 11:37 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)