快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: VDJ 2021 - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

It's time to add a lock analysis option. The new stems function analyzes the same track everytime you load it.
But like always I don't know what I'm talking about and my suggestion makes no sense.

发表时间 Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 9:29 pm
What do you mean by analysis lock?

You can disable the stem system all together in settings (mathEngine) if that's what you mean. It then won't analyse the tracks for stems upon loading.
But then you won't be able to manipulate the stems.

If you want to be able to use the stems feature in 2021. Then it will analyse the track each time it loads.

发表时间 Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 9:40 pm
Lock the analysis to the track, doesn't analyse everytime you load it. It just doesn't make sense to keep analyzing the same track everytime it's loaded.
The track doesn't change. It only needs to be analyzed once.
And make it an option per track.
Is this understandable.

发表时间 Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 9:54 pm
People keep suggesting this, but don't realise that the data has to go somewhere. It's not like calculating a BPM and storing a few digits in the database.

You've seen how long it takes VDJ to do the calculations. That's a lot of data that has to be stored somewhere - for every track.

How much free hard drive space do you have? If you have say 50,000 tracks, then another 50,000 extra files would have to be created on your drive.

发表时间 Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 9:59 pm
I do understand but that's isn't going to work.

As has been mentioned in other posts. Stems work by breaking the track down into 5 component parts 'on the fly'.
If it was to remember those, the only effective way to do it would be to save each individual track seperately.
That would then take up 5x the amount of drive space that the single file would.

Besides it only take a couple of seconds longer (on a standard track length) to load the stem section anyway. So not really a huge issue.

发表时间 Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 10:02 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
groovindj wrote :
How much free hard drive space do you have? If you have say 50,000 tracks, then another 50,000 extra files ...

5 times out, it would be 1/4Mill extra tracks

发表时间 Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 10:15 pm
Dan (djtouchdan) wrote :
I do understand but that's isn't going to work.

As has been mentioned in other posts. Stems work by breaking the track down into 5 component parts 'on the fly'.
If it was to remember those, the only effective way to do it would be to save each individual track seperately.
That would then take up 5x the amount of drive space that the single file would.

Besides it only take a couple of seconds longer (on a standard track length) to load the stem section anyway. So not really a huge issue.

When analyzing, depending on laptop, it eats up resources. So when live gigging either you can't use it or deal with crackles and audio dropouts. I know some will say but a better laptop, but it's cheaper to buy more storage. You in a live situation got 4 decks open, using effects, with a video playing, hitting a sound effect and gotta do a deck load maybe on 2 decks and they gotta analyze.... CPU gonna spike, I don't care what laptop you have, spike and crackle might get an audio dropout. I rather have a large file than the crowd looking at me crazy. This is not extreme thinking this is reality thinking.
At least give us the option to lock it or not.

Edit: I might be wrong any laptop spiking. Because it doesn't audio dropout my desktop, but my desktop is water cooled and basically blown out...

发表时间 Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 10:40 pm
I don't think a lock option is going to come (but I'm not the developer). If it was it would be here already.

If you have a good graphics card in your machine then this will be doing the work for you and it won't touch the CPU.

Have you experienced audio drop outs or is this hypothetical?

发表时间 Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 10:42 pm
Dan (djtouchdan) wrote :
I don't think a lock option is going to come (but I'm not the developer). If it was it would be here already.

If you have a good graphics card in your machine then this will be doing the work for you and it won't touch the CPU.

Have you experienced audio drop outs or is this hypothetical?

Yes I have, on my laptop but not on my desktop.
Seems like your using free memory resources from the video card?

发表时间 Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 10:46 pm
If the system has a dedicated GPU then this is used 1st to process the stems.
If there is no GPU or an unsupported GPU then it will use the CPU.

If it is using the CPU and it does peak for a couple of seconds but quickly drops back down to normal.
Remember that audio is loaded already into the RAM so you won't get any audio glitches due to the CPU load.

发表时间 Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 10:57 pm
Yep like I said.... I don't know what I'm talking about. This is just like having to beat into people head that a bar counter starts at 1.1 and not 0.1.
You had djs acting like I was speaking a foreign language.
Like it should be an option to even stem a track. Every track you play doesn't have to have a stem analysis.

发表时间 Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 11:34 pm
I didn't say that. I was just pointing out the reasons why it probably won't happen.

Like I say I'm no developer. I don't know the ins and outs of what is actually going on. But IF it was possible to be done without the need to scan every time, then I am certain it would have been implemented that way.

I'm also unsure of the practicality in telling the software which tracks to scan and which not.

If you have a relatively up to date machine (about 5 years) ideally with a dedicated GPU then it really isn't an issue.

发表时间 Sat 20 Jun 20 @ 11:41 pm
It is possible. Already has been done. Stems aren't new.

发表时间 Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 1:17 am
locodog wrote :
groovindj wrote :
How much free hard drive space do you have? If you have say 50,000 tracks, then another 50,000 extra files ...

5 times out, it would be 1/4Mill extra tracks

Your not gonna stem every track in your library.
And to save would be an option.
The stem file would be a container so it will be one file...
I've been using Xtrax stems and the file is no larger than a music video file.

发表时间 Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 1:24 am
Just because Atomix have used the word "stems" to describe the new feature does not mean it's the equivalent of Native Instruments stems.

It's not the same.

Native Instruments uses files that are supplied to them by the original artist, using separate audio recordings of bass, vocal etc. from their studio multitrack.

VDJ just uses the audio directly from the stereo track to extract the musical information live.

At the end of the day you don't have to use this new feature. If you don't like the way it works, simply turn it off.

发表时间 Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 9:04 am
Traktor has a stem creator.

发表时间 Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 10:29 am
Yes you could create your own Traktor stem file (whiic is not compatible with VDJ) - but you would need the original studio recordings of the four separate parts (e.g. bass, vocal, drums, lead) to import to the file.

Unless you produce your own music, or have access to the multitrack recordings of any artist, creating Traktor stems yourself is useless.

The average DJ does not have access to the individual multitrack parts of everyone's songs.

发表时间 Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 10:50 am
Might come a feature for this ;-)
exporting to a "stems" format (file with "multitracks") as well as using such

发表时间 Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 11:33 am
That would useful. I just downloaded a free pack of 65 stem files from NI :-)

发表时间 Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 11:57 am
I have been using xtrax stems for a while to create acapella's. They're not perfect, similar to what VDJ is doing, the same or similar process. So saving the parameters of eq that produces VDJs stems, if it's an eq process... It should easily be saveable.

发表时间 Sun 21 Jun 20 @ 1:20 pm
71%