快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: The biggest problem for Virtual DJ is..... - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

But because their name make it sound like the computer is mixing for you (and probably because they are the first having the sync function), they have this "fake dj" reputation.
I'm using Traktor, been on Torq before, work a lot with Rekordbox DJ and sometime Serato, but the more I see VDJ, the more I'm tempted to switch.
The DVS part is the main reason I still didn't have done it (if someone here using it with vinyl, I'll be glad to have some feedback), but one of the hidden reason I still didn't make the switch is probably also because of that "reputation" and that I never see good DJ using it, and it make me feel that I would lose some credibility using it. I know it's stupid, because it's a great tool like other software, and I should'nt care about that, but it's more like a subconscious thing I think...

发表时间 Wed 20 Jun 18 @ 2:59 am
you may now search this forum for how many times this exact thing has been brought up year after year after year. then you can search it on facebook and google. and probably even on Myspace

it's one of those ' no point in arguing about it' things.

发表时间 Wed 20 Jun 18 @ 3:28 am
Your title was waaaaaaay too long, so I edited it. Next time, put your ideas in the post, not the title. As for your subconscious, I can't help you with that. I can only speak for myself. As you stated, it shouldn't matter, and to the vast majority of us, it doesn't. I also respect the owner that put in his time, effort and money to create this software, and think it is incredibly (insert your own word) to ask someone to change the name that they chose for their product. That's just me.

发表时间 Wed 20 Jun 18 @ 6:34 am
Not this old subject again

Do you actually sell your services by the software product you use ?

Probably not

I would pick the tools of your trade on how it works for you, does the software offer you all the innovative features you need, does it allow you perform at your best , or is it holding you back?

It's your choice.....

It won't pick music for you , build your playlist, or speak for you.

music choice, audience interaction, professionalism, and the ability to read the crowd and react, these are the thing that make you a DJ

Don't get me wrong, when I hear a great mix, I notice it and applaud its skill. But the average member of the public is going to remember how good a night they had overall , and not the transition between two tracks.

发表时间 Wed 20 Jun 18 @ 7:01 am
sureview wrote :
But the average member of the public is going to remember how good a night they had overall , and not the transition between two tracks.

Not so fast. I do a lot of public gigs, department stores, malls, and a gym. The most frequent compliment I get is "where can I buy that Mix". When I inform them that it was just done live, they find it hard to believe. Of course it was me, the selections, and my mixing skills. They never asked about the software.

发表时间 Wed 20 Jun 18 @ 7:18 am
VDJ will always have that rep as being an amateur program because of its name but it can do so much more that many of the other titles can't do it. It comes down to, do you want to impress other DJ's who use XYZ product or do you want to impress all of the people on the dance floor? VDJ, Serato, RB, Apple, PC's, Controllers, CDJ's, Turntables, iPads and tablets are only tools. You use the best tool that you're comfortable with to get the job done. Just like how an artist uses a paint brush on a canvas.

It does not matter what you use as long as you have a full dance floor and the people who came to hear you play, are happy. I've seen people use Serato completely and totally destroy the energy, vibe and dance floor who couldn't mix to save their lives. I've seen people use VDJ and totally blow the roof off with a massive waiting line to get inside the club, and vice versa. Having a certain DJ software name on your screen doesn't make you a good DJ. Knowing what to do with that software name, does.

I will say this though....I do wish VDJ was a little better when it comes to DVS. It has gotten a million times better with each release and will get the job done for the average time code user, but to be on the same level as Serato or Traktor when it comes to DVS and turntablism...it does need a little more of a boost. Other than that being my only gripe, it's a fantastic piece of software.

发表时间 Wed 20 Jun 18 @ 12:10 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003

It comes up every week and rightly so, Virtual DJ is underselling its self in the performance DJ space, the name isn't the end of the world, but the official interface isn't very nice on the eye or professional (in my opinion), the pro version would be better served with a cleaner, darker skin, although I see no reason why we couldn't have a skin where the color scheme could be adjusted with the click of a button.

The lack of sponsorship is also a problem, competitors have successfully taken their re-skinned versions of Virtual DJ, and thrown enough money at marketing, sponsorship and hiring elite DJs as ambassadors for their product, they've managed to convince people that they're a top tier product, and by contrast it makes Virtual DJ look entry level, and they're the words we hear associated with Virtual DJ "entry level, bedroom DJ, playlist DJ" etc.

It comes down to design, company image and lack of a famous front man, the moment you have a highly skilled/famous DJ educating/demonstrating the product to DJs on social media, the tide will begin to shift, because the detractors are mainly middle aged club DJs who haven't exactly set the world on fire.

发表时间 Wed 20 Jun 18 @ 1:58 pm
The "sync" issue just needs to be laid to rest. A lot of digital DJs rely on whatever the guys over at Serato are doing and saying. I had to download Serato DJ in preparation for my gig this weekend because I was having a screen flickering issue with VDJ (resolved, thank goodness), and ALL the "tutorial videos on the site, at some point or another, have the DJ saying "...and we click the sync button to get it all lined up."

Regardless of your opinion on syncing, we are all DJs or KJs, we are out there every weekend to do a job and if you do it well, NO ONE will question, "did you sync that mix?"

Just get out there and kick ass!

M.R.

Oh and here is a link to the post on the flickering, in case it happens to anyone else.

https://www.virtualdj.com/forums/224084/VirtualDJ_8_2_Technical_Support/Flickering_skin__.html

发表时间 Wed 20 Jun 18 @ 2:31 pm
It's not a problem for VDJ at all. It's a blessing. They'd never be able to cope with all the how this how that if everybody knew it was the best.

发表时间 Wed 20 Jun 18 @ 4:18 pm
bagpuss wrote :

cleaner, darker skin, although I see no reason why we couldn't have a skin where the color scheme could be adjusted with the click of a button.

Darker versions based on the default skin already exist. Skins with colour scheme options also exist.

发表时间 Wed 20 Jun 18 @ 4:51 pm
groovindj wrote :
bagpuss wrote :

cleaner, darker skin, although I see no reason why we couldn't have a skin where the color scheme could be adjusted with the click of a button.

Darker versions based on the default skin already exist. Skins with colour scheme options also exist.

I'm talking about improvements to the official skin, the interface people see when they see VDJ advertised or download the demo.

发表时间 Wed 20 Jun 18 @ 6:33 pm
AsTheDJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I feel like Dj’s look at the skin and said WOW buttons on top of button ( VDJ7 skin ) some were just learning how to use digital SW ( it was a change for me knowing how to dj with vinyl ) and DIDn’t wanna get up there Equipment for a $ 500- controller so now the market is saturated with controllers new one’s with more # after it, but it come down to YOU and what you can create when your Dj’ing so others is good get what work for you.

发表时间 Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 12:29 am
sw is just a tool helping you to get your job done.

Who cares about, what you use, if you create perfect shows/mixes? But in another direction:
If your skills aren't good enough, the sw for it's own can't solve this. Make any sw you a better DJ?

2 TT and a mixer are instruments without any sw...

Use what works for you.

发表时间 Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 5:09 am
I found that using the equipment that works best for me, works best for me. I don't care what car you drive, clothes you wear, or software that you use. I actually own copies of Serato, and don't like the way it looks, but I would never ask the owner to change it. The real reason I don't use it is it did not work for me.

发表时间 Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 8:22 am
The DJ world is full of luvvies who play 128bpm EDM and have bought Apple, Pioneer & Serato with mummy & daddy's money.

I don't work like that. Lenovo & GPD laptops, Denon & Numark controllers and VirtualDJ.

Call me a maverick but after 33 years I'm still working 3 nights a week.

Nobody really gives a $hit what gear you use ..... unless it's another DJ who thinks they are better than you.

发表时间 Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 8:28 am
I've heard people say "why would you use a top of the line nexus set-up with Virtual DJ, that's like having a Ferrari and putting a Skoda engine in it"

I get the analogy but the logic is wrong, VDJ may look like the equivalent of a Skoda but the engine and stability is solid.

We're just waiting on the face-lift model lol.

发表时间 Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 11:11 am
If I get the "It's called Virtual DJ it isn't serious" I ask "what music do you play", they usually respond with some form of House or EDM, "Yeah virtually all of that music is made using virtual instruments mate, you should think about playing music with real instruments".

"What software do you use?" Serato? Ok so you're using Virtual decks and having a go at me for doing the same, case closed.

发表时间 Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 11:16 am
Just for fun:
If you think "Virtual" is not a serious name, then click HERE :P

As I said, just for fun!

发表时间 Thu 21 Jun 18 @ 11:26 am
All the softwares have stupid names. At least our software isn't named after farm equipment! And what actually is a "Serato" anyway?

发表时间 Fri 22 Jun 18 @ 6:36 pm
You said that in a very nice, professional, eloquent, Unicorn jumping over a rainbow of flowers way. I remember asking what the puck is a Serato, years ago, when this same subject came up. That's because I like Hockey (no I don't). Next question Alec.

发表时间 Fri 22 Jun 18 @ 6:44 pm
74%