快速登录:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

话题: Database protection

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Please add "Auto Database back" up to VDJ. I have been asking for this, in person at the DJ shows, for years now. I manually back it up but am disappointment each time VDJ crashes (Like an hour ago) and wipes out my data base file. The last time I backed it up MANUALLY was over a month ago. All my info for my show in 3 hours is gone. Serato backs up their data base. My XML file for a 1TB drive is only 65 mb. If VDJ did a backup on VDJ close or once every few days , that would be great. I am not a programmer, but am told its not a lot of script. The fact that I have to add it as a plug in seems interesting. Beside the music files, the database and all the related info is the most important thing on my drive. All the cue point, loops, scripts etc take hundreds of hour of work. Then when I want to make a copy for my backup laptop the work multiplies. Why does it have to be so hard?

I am sure I am not the only person who loses their database, when there seems to be an easy fix. Thank you for your help. I have had VDJ since the start and really do appreciate all that it does do. I regularly argue its merits to Traktor and Serato users. I do believe it is the best program out there, hands down and I understand you can not include every function in the world, but this would seem to be a basic requirement. Without the music it is nothing, but after that, without the cue points etc it is 1/2 the program it can be. Please consider adding the auto backup of database in your next update.

Thank You

Stephen Jade - Tech Services Manager - Professional Entertainment Group

发表时间 Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 7:11 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
What exactly happened to your database file?
Even with a crash you should not have lost more than a single entry that vdj was writing to during the crash.

Did you get a warning on startup that the database was broken? If so, what was lost exactly after saying yes to repair it?
If you have a broken database in the VirtualDJ\Backup folder, would it be possible to send it to me so I can investigate further what went wrong with the database?

发表时间 Fri 31 Mar 17 @ 8:17 pm
When you call something a database, it usually implies there is some security for it. I have had it go south on me before and had no idea why.

This is a pretty easy fix for it until they decide to make it more secure.

For windows you can do this in a bat file. Something similar can be done for mac. This will make a backup of the all the xml files located in C:\Users\%username%\Documents\VirtualDJ and then run VDJ. The backups will be placed in C:\Users\%username%\Documents\VirtualDJ\Backups by default in a folder with the current date and time to the second.

for example: C:\Users\Don\Documents\VirtualDJ\Backups\2017-03-29_18-46-46 will contain the settings.xml and database.xml and v6.xml if it exist.

Here is a link to the zipped bat file.

http://www.tellyvisuals.com/vdj.zip

once you have that file unzip and place vdj.bat somewhere maybe in c:\ then drag the vdj.bat file to your desktop. You can now double click it to backup the xml files and run vdj. Once you have it on your desktop, you can change the icon of it to match that of vdj. Right click on vdj.bat from desktop and select properties. There will be a selection to change the icon. Browse for virtualdj8.exe and select that and hit ok. Now every time you run VDJ with this bat file it will make a date and time stamped backup. A dos window will appear briefly but that can be negated by setting the dos window to run minimized. That option in is same dialog as the change icon selection.

The contents of vdj,bat

@echo off

REM you can change the backupFolder to whatever you want
REM just be sure it is well structured with back slash etc.

set "backupFolder=C:\Users\%username%\Documents\VirtualDJ\Backups\"

for /f "tokens=2 delims==" %%a in ('wmic OS Get localdatetime /value') do set "dt=%%a"
set "YY=%dt:~2,2%" & set "YYYY=%dt:~0,4%" & set "MM=%dt:~4,2%" & set "DD=%dt:~6,2%"
set "HH=%dt:~8,2%" & set "Min=%dt:~10,2%" & set "Sec=%dt:~12,2%"

set "datetime=%YYYY%-%MM%-%DD%_%HH%-%Min%-%Sec%"

set "folder=%backupFolder%%datetime%"

md "%folder%"

xcopy "C:\Users\%username%\Documents\VirtualDJ\*.xml" "%folder%"

start /d "C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDJ" virtualdj8.exe

发表时间 Sat 01 Apr 17 @ 6:59 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)