快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: using external hard drive still necessary?

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I've been a VDJ Pro for a couple of years with a MacBook Pro, now with NS6 controller. When I first started using VDJ, I read a lot of posts and dialogue from VDJ suggesting that your music be stored on an external drive. I don't see people doing this very often - the people who I know that use VDJ as well as people using other software. I guess my question is - is this considered as important as it was before, or has the stability of the software/hardware/computer improved to where it isn't necessary?

发表时间 Wed 07 Nov 12 @ 10:50 am
Depends on how much space you need for music & videos. I have never ever used an external drive.

I used to have two separate partitions on the same drive for OS/Programs & music but even that's not an issue now.

Keith

发表时间 Wed 07 Nov 12 @ 2:22 pm
nottsdjPRO InfinityMember since 2012
ive been DJing with laptops since 20gb 2.5" drives were the standard, i've always used an external music drive, and just kept enough on my laptop drive to get me through a night or two in case the main drive ever died.

big external drives are much cheaper still, and they give you more flexibility - i can use the drive on any of my three DJ laptops (all of which have a backup drive of their own as well), and if i really needed to, i could just plug my external hdd into my console (mixdeck quad) and play tracks from it directly should the laptop ever die on me.

the extra resiliency it provides far outweighs the bad (having to carry an extra box in your bag/use another power socket)

with the prices of 256gb SSDs dropping rapidly, the need for them is declining a tad, but i will still probably keep using an external drive, just for peace of mind.

发表时间 Mon 12 Nov 12 @ 8:32 am
I've got;

80gb 2.5" USB powered - still used for accounts backup
160gb 3.5" 720 spin speed, mains powered - just used for program backup storage
160gb 2.5" USB powered - empty
500gb 2.5" USB powered - currently carried to gigs with a full copy of my video database (formatted for PC & Mac)
1tb 2.5" USB powered - current gig drive containing 22,000 mp3, 22,000 karaoke and 5,300 videos

These drives have all been used as the main database drives for DJing at some point in time, so yeh, always used external drives for my databases.

发表时间 Mon 12 Nov 12 @ 3:33 pm
cnymikePRO InfinityMember since 2011
I use external USB drives as well. 500GB drives. One is my primary drive, the second is a backup drive that was cloned using SuperDuper. Every time I add new music to my primary drive, I simply use SuperDuper to copy the changes to the backup drive. Only takes a minute or two.

It's really comforting to know that I've always got a backup drive with me (and a backup laptop.)

One thing you have to watch out for is using your backup drive by mistake and then making playlists. If you then go back to using your primary drive, you will get errors when attempting to load tunes from your playlists as the path to the music files will be to your backup drive not the primary drive (unless you name your backup drive the exact same name as your primary drive... not a great idea since it could get confusing.) I discovered this the hard way when at a gig. I could not understand what the heck was going on and it caused me a great deal of frustration. Fortunately I figured it out and was actually able to use BBEdit and do a global search and replace to change the paths to the correct path in my playlist files. A real life saver!

发表时间 Tue 13 Nov 12 @ 11:50 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)