快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Beginning and need advice-Old school DJ here.... - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Ok, I used to DJ back in the day (20yrs ago) using the basics, 2 tables, mixer and receiver with amp and huge speakers. I already purchased the VDJPro and Im looking now to get at minimum 1 table and anything else I need to get going as a beginner with todays technology. Im more interested in Scratching as it was my thing back then. I can beatmatch and trans and just need to know from you Pro's what the best gear is with little cost if at all possible?

If you can give some advice I would be eternally grateful!!

-DJ Cheese

**Dont ask why I picked that name originally, I was 17 hehehehehe!!**

发表时间 Tue 05 May 09 @ 8:42 pm
I am a scratch dj as well and i am using two Technics 1200s that i bought used on Craigslist.com You can get a pair from 400 to 500 dollars. Good needles to use for the turntables would be Sure M44-7 or Ortofon OM scratch. The reason why picked these is because they are very good and not that expensive. They also have a great output for your time signal. The Time code signal is very important when you are using turntables. A good sound card would be the M Audio connectiv. I had this before and it works really good. The Sound Is clean and has great output. It sells for 200 bucks. I wouldn't recomend a Maya 44 sound card. Its wack. You can use any mixer or buy a Midi mixer to trigger the effects off of the mixer by the touch of Button. By the way, you can use any regular mixer thats not midi and trigger the effects by using key board short cuts from your laptop too.

This is My setup. 2 technics 1200 m3d's with 2 ortfon Om scratch needles. 1 vestax 10 inch mixer and my soundcard is the Serato SL 1 box. (I had The M Audio connectiv and sold it But its very good )

发表时间 Wed 06 May 09 @ 12:50 am
What’z good DJ Cheese? I'm an old school DJ myself. I got into it in 1984 when I was 17 and I faded off into my career about a little over 12 years ago. I just came back to the game a few months ago. So I'm guessing that I'm a little older than you? No worries, not much has changed, maybe some of the toys have but the technique and ideals are pretty much unchanged. When I left the scene in early 1997 I had already long forgone turntables in favor of CD’s since 1992. I enjoy scratching and I’m good at it and that was one of the things I missed when I went to CD’s so long ago. None of the players that I used back then were any good for scratching but I was able to pull off some slick moves that sounded pretty good considering what I had to work with back then.

Today we have rack mounted CD players/mp3 controllers that have very good scratch capability and some of them can interface with a computer to use Virtual DJ etc. The CD platter players such as the Pioneer CDJ-800 MK II & CDJ-1000 MK III are unsurpassed in turntable like quality but lack the ability to interface with a computer and they also lack USB ports for media. They can however interface with a computer much like a regular turntable can using Serato, which costs a minimum of about $450 to buy the lowest model (SL 1) to about $600 (SL 3). The CDJ-800 & CDJ-1000 range in price from about $1000 to $1700 each! Then you will still need a mixer!

Enter the Pioneer CDJ-400, this is a CD player/MP3 controller/software controller and can use USB media! They aren’t as big as the other CDJ platter players I mentioned but they are a lot bigger than rack mounted controllers. Some guys transitioning from regular turntables prefer the bigger CDJ’s because the jog wheel is replicated to match a turntable (almost) but I was able to get past that because of all of the features the 400’s offer plus the jog wheel really isn’t that small, a little smaller than the size of a 45 RPM record, exactly the size of a CD. These can be had for about $600 each, a turntablist can eventually get used to their diminutive size, I did. These work excellent with Virtual DJ and Serato both. I have an SL 3 (Serato box) but I prefer to use VDJ for the user interface, effects, samples and the waveform plus video, karaoke and so much more. Couple the 2 CDJ-400’s with a DJM-400 2 channel mixer and you’ve got yourself a killer set-up, or you can go to the bigger 4 channel mixer like a DJM-700 or the effects laden DJM-800 and then you could add a couple of timecodes into the mix if you still want that old feeling. I’m using 2 CDJ-400’s and a DJM-800 mixer with VDJ and I couldn’t be more pleased.

Don’t get me wrong, Caliente told you of an easier less financially restrictive way to jump back into the game, plus the timecodes will have that familiar feel, but if you want to jump into the future that’s already here, try my recommendations, you’ll get the hang of it and you won’t believe what you can do with this hot gear!

This is one hell of a set-up for someone just getting into the game, especially someone with prior experience like yourself. This mixer is the 2 channel DJM-400 with 2 CDJ-400's. This combo pack is selling online for about $1700 US

These are a few pix of my CDJ-400's & DJM-800 with my laptop featuring Virtual DJ (yes I'm proud of it!) lol. My old skills came right back once I got used to this new gear, you will too.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you.

DJ RuDeDoGG from SoCaLi!!

发表时间 Wed 06 May 09 @ 3:06 am
damyxzPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I will go with a technics 1200/1210 , then use m-44-7 carts, a good mixer, I like the ranes and the vestax (tried the pioneer, good mixer but it is not made for a performance scratch DJ style-too much plastic) The media format will always change, but for some reason, clubs and big name DJ's still use TT's(several decades now), The CDJ systems normally are used as a necessity in case you made a track and you want to play it that night(for most DJ's). I have a dubcutter from vinylium which I used for a while. I tried the CDJ systems, I never got used to the sound of vinyl emulation VS actual vinyl. (you can compare). I think staying with TT's is in a way future proof because CD's can be phased out for more convenient form of media, but with TCV's, you can control any form of audio format as long as the program you are using is up to date and configured accordingly. Not to bash anybody here but I have been around and back with DJing and I have my own preferences with equipments, you do not have to have the latest and the greatest equipment to be good. Technology to me is just making things easier, it does not contribute real skill or talent. It's all about the show.

发表时间 Sat 09 May 09 @ 9:55 am
I remember around 1992 or 1993(can't remember) I was at the world DMC championships in London, DMC discovered these 2 guys who loved DJing so much that they found a way to mix and scratch and back spin using 2 reel to reel tape recorder and a makeshift mixer. During that time I think TT's cost a fortune in Russia and vinyls are hard to come by. They just recorded snippets and music on the reel to reels to do their DJing. They performed impressively despite the lack of equipment and they received a standing ovation and I think they were inducted into DMC ranks then and there. To me that was pure desire, talent and creativity that came out unhindered by the lack of technology. I wish all of you can get a video of this and appreciate what these 2 guys did.

发表时间 Sat 09 May 09 @ 10:07 am
Well if you haven't already figured it out, there is an on-going debate about the use of vinyl over digital. This is not new however, in the 90's I caught a lot of flak for jumping to CD's. I did the whole vinyl scene back in the 80's (I started in 84’) and was happy to move forward. Yes, I was good, good enough to play some of the biggest clubs in L.A. and be asked back multiple times and that didn't change in the 90's when I went to CD's. There are going to be purists in any sport, hobby or industry. While I agree with some of what Damyxz has to say, his argument is echoed by many but it is conjecture. The opposite argument is the same. I will say this however but not in defense of digital, many companies aren't pressing vinyl anymore and it is becoming more and more difficult to find stuff. I wouldn't say that the using of TT's is “future proofing”, but just the opposite. I know, I know, this has been said for a long, long time now, to the point of cliché, but...eventually vinyl will be out, gone, ixnay and amscray.

DJ RuDeDoGG

发表时间 Sat 09 May 09 @ 2:50 pm
BTW, my Pioneer does NOT in any way shape or form feel plastic. This mixer is one of the best built I have ever used or owned and I have used and owned many. I do scratch still, I can scratch very nicely to break beats on my CDJ's using this mixer. There are more IDEAL mixers for scratching however. I am more of an electronic/trance/techno DJ which works well with this mixer and maybe even what it was best designed to do, nevertheless it can and will stand up to the abuse of the best scratch/turntablist DJ's and perform well.

And I also agree with Damyxz' statement regarding not having to have the best equipment to be a good DJ. This is very true. It's also true however that you don't have to be rich to be happy, you don’t have to have the nicest car to win over the ladies, you don't have to have an iPhone to call your mommy, etc. etc. This is stuff we all know. But it doesn't hurt either.....

DJ RuDe

发表时间 Sat 09 May 09 @ 3:03 pm
The Pioneers are kinda pricey but nice units.... I just couldn't justify the cost.

My personal favorite is the Denon DNS-1200's and DNX120 can be had for $300-400 less than the Pioneer Combo.

I cheaped out and got the RMX, which is good, but not the best for scratching. I would have spend more and gotten something else.

But if you want to go the tactile route, you can't beat CD Turntables with MIDI control....

发表时间 Sun 10 May 09 @ 11:31 pm
One thing to think about is how hardcore of an old school DJ are you because with the CDJ's I doubt this can be done without faking it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laivfpJkdbc. I think with further improvement to TC's this is attainable, At present it can be done but not as good as actual vinyls.

发表时间 Mon 11 May 09 @ 11:00 am
Well, let’s see, I'm 43 this year and have been doing this since 1984, that's 25 years...Pretty old school no? I don't label myself really, I would like to think that I am more of a techie than an old school DJ. The way I look, act and dress is more representative of today rather than yesterday. In fact most people think that my 20 & 21 year old sons and I are brothers. I mentioned that I am more of a Trance/Techno/House DJ than a Hip Hop or scratch DJ though I can, and do it. Anyway, this thread isn't about me or you, it's about an old school DJ that wanted advice. BTW, where the hell did he go? This is his thread!

CDJ's are great for what I do and I agree that scratching is best done on vinyl, I'm just saying that it can be done and is done well. My opinion about vinyl: Even though it's been around a long time, and I should know, it's popularity and support is waning and will eventually come to an end. I like to look back and reminisce but the past is just that, the past. Back when the automobile came out people screamed to the driver of this new-fangled contraption, “get a horse!” But now look! People always end up embracing new technology even if at first they don’t want to, and then never go back. It hasn’t happened yet with vinyl, but it will and it’s decline has began. I have so many colleagues that have a common complaint, it’s getting harder and harder to find certain content on vinyl, many of them have shifted to digital because of this, even some of my hardcore vinyl fanatic DJ buddies.

Bottom line, I don’t care what’s better, or even who is using what, I just believe that sometimes you have to know when to roll with the times. I’m just not old enough yet to get stuck in the past even though I know guys younger than me that are. Who knows, maybe I never will…

DJ RuDeDoGG

发表时间 Mon 11 May 09 @ 4:19 pm
What I'm trying to convey is that the technology he needs to choose needs to be related to what he will do with it. I don't think vinyls will be of the way of the dinosaurs very soon. The ability to manipulate digital audio/video files with time code gave vinyls a new life. Yes it's getting hard to get stuff on vinyls but getting different forms of digital files that can be manipulated with vinyls is not. Also you still can get music from companies like megamixx, ultimix, DMC,..etc... I still see latest release on vinyls whenever I go to virgin records store. Then there's the neighborhood DJ store where I can get whitelabels and of course, the internet. At this time, using TT's and CDJ systems is a matter of preference because computer programs like VV makes it possible for both format to be used on existing audio files.
Wherever the starter of this thread is right now, views on both formats are presented tohim and I think the ball is on his court.

发表时间 Mon 11 May 09 @ 10:38 pm
Turntables will be around for a long time. Imagine how many people from the 70s and until now own turtables. Were talking Millions. The reason why software was designed.......to be able to hook it up to your existing tables and cd players. Midi is a new feature. Staying behind is actually a person that still uses vinyl or music cds. Moving forward is hooking up your tables or cd players to your favorite DJ software. Midi is for those that like to use controllers. If you dont want a midi player, for those using Turntables... Your midi is actually your keyboard short cuts. You trigger everything from the keyes.

This what im using right now. I have 2 technics 1200s M3d turntables with ortofon OM scratch needles and a vestax Mixer. I also have 2 pioneer CDJ 1000 mk3 tables and the Pioneer DJM 500 mixer. This kicks some serious but big time.

发表时间 Mon 11 May 09 @ 11:44 pm
Yup, Caliente, I agree that TT's aren't going anywhere fast, but eventually they probably will as digital improves and as less and less companies are pressing vinyl and making new equipment. This could still take a decade or two. So as you said Damyxz, the ball in in the original poster's court, wherever the hell he may be. Maybe he's a "one poster, ghoster".

DJ RuDe

发表时间 Tue 12 May 09 @ 2:00 am
Ok everyone, thanks for all the info!!! My mother had died so I have been out of the scene for awhile but I just got back and seriously want to thank everyone for their help!! Awsome!!!

Thank you!!!

发表时间 Wed 17 Jun 09 @ 8:36 pm
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Hi all

It would not suprise me if Technics Vestax or some similar company came up with a 12" turntable with an encoder, no tone arm and a blank Vinyl disc that was purely intended for DJing. Dennon and the like have been producing CD units with motor driven platters to try and replicate the Vinyl feel for some years now. How long will it take them to come up with a turntable unit that just provides the timecode function, I wonder.

Daz

发表时间 Wed 17 Jun 09 @ 10:45 pm
Joacheel wrote :
Ok everyone, thanks for all the info!!! My mother had died so I have been out of the scene for awhile but I just got back and seriously want to thank everyone for their help!! Awsome!!!

Thank you!!!

Well, it's good to see you back, under the circumstances. My condolances to you and your family.

We're here for you, that is if you are still considering being part of the DJ world. As you saw by reading through this thread that you started we are pretty passionate about what we do and regardless of which direction you take, whether it be digital or vinyl, this forum is a wealth of knowledge because of our members combined experience.

Anyway, we hope to see you around again soon!

DJ RuDe

发表时间 Thu 18 Jun 09 @ 1:37 am
Ah, the vinyl good ole days....Yeah, I really miss actually purchasing 2 copies of each 12" vinyl song at $5 a disc to do loops and effects, the scratched records, the static sound from the worn out grooves in about a month on the hot songs, the needles skipping, the stack of quarters on the tonearms to prevent said skipping, the bass feedback from the tonearms because of course every bar owner though it was cool to put the bass cabinet right under the dj counter.

Here in Phoenix at nearly $3 a gallon for gas I really miss having to keep the car running and the AC at full blast so my records didn't warp when I went into Circle K to get a sixer of mountain dew on the way to a gig to get me through it.

I bless vinyl everyday my my two herniated disks act up that I got from carrying the 12 to 20 crates of records up three flights of stairs to play the "big room" at the club not to mention lugging around the carpet covered plywood coffin with 2 tt's and a mixer in it 5 nights a week, yes I am reminded of those good days with every bottle of Hydrocodone I suck down daily for my disks.

Old School is best left for the museums!

发表时间 Thu 18 Jun 09 @ 6:48 am
DJRudeDoGG wrote :

This is one hell of a set-up for someone just getting into the game, especially someone with prior experience like yourself. This mixer is the 2 channel DJM-400 with 2 CDJ-400's. This combo pack is selling online for about $1700 US

Is this mixer....midi????
I have been looking into the CDJ-400 players for a while.. just needed to find a good midi mixer within budget

发表时间 Thu 18 Jun 09 @ 9:18 am
Sorry to hear about your mother, Joacheel.

Glad you're gettin' back in the game, have fun.

发表时间 Thu 18 Jun 09 @ 10:16 am
@ Electric. If it wasnt for the turntables, programs like virtual dj, final scratch, serato, torq wouldnt be around. Turntables will be around for many more years and time codes will still sell by the tons

发表时间 Thu 18 Jun 09 @ 4:17 pm
83%