快速登录:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

话题: auto preview track

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

automatically preview track option [enable/disable]

with built in jump to [numeric value] of song through format of [time or percent]

ex: 00:30.00
ex: 10%

as as song is selected, the "preview" automatically loads and plays the song.
this feature is particularly useful when 10 results show up for the same song but of different versions.

now, auto preview will allow us to quickly distinguish the difference via headphone.

-kz

发表时间 Thu 26 Feb 09 @ 10:20 pm
not sure what the difference is to the standard preview option at the moment.

Apart from the numeric input - but why when you have the timeline slider.

发表时间 Fri 27 Feb 09 @ 8:33 am
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I would like to see the option to build a button in a skin for preview. With touchscreen it's not always possible to rightclick.
Even the pop-up list would do it to.

Best regards,
John

发表时间 Fri 06 Nov 09 @ 3:19 am
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004
djjb wrote :
I would like to see the option to build a button in a skin for preview. With touchscreen it's not always possible to rightclick.

Added in 6.0.3 ;)

发表时间 Thu 12 Nov 09 @ 2:24 am
hi,

how do i activate auto preview?

发表时间 Thu 12 Nov 09 @ 6:33 pm
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
cioce wrote :
djjb wrote :

Added in 6.0.3 ;)

It is action="preview"

cool, thanks for the add

发表时间 Fri 13 Nov 09 @ 12:22 am
that doesn't cause the file to be previewed AUTOMATICALLY .

发表时间 Sat 14 Nov 09 @ 1:37 pm
what do you mean automatically?? what are you trying to achieve??

发表时间 Sat 14 Nov 09 @ 1:38 pm
the auto preview idea is to launch preview player of selected file AUTOMATICALLY.

settings / options

launch preview player of selected file automatically [] <-- check box

发表时间 Sun 15 Nov 09 @ 11:20 am
so what you want is everytime you select a file in the browser it automatically previews??

Can i ask why?? surely you know what most of your songs are, and would only need to preview one or two??

maybe thats just me.

发表时间 Sun 15 Nov 09 @ 12:03 pm
djtouchdan wrote :
so what you want is everytime you select a file in the browser it automatically previews??

Can i ask why?? surely you know what most of your songs are, and would only need to preview one or two??

maybe thats just me.

I was wondering the same thing. I've never even used preview, I find it easier just to load the track on the non-playing deck and preview it that way.

发表时间 Sun 15 Nov 09 @ 12:24 pm
thats how i preview tracks - by using the non playing deck.

发表时间 Sun 15 Nov 09 @ 1:19 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
djtouchdan wrote :

To my way of thinking/doing things this would be a bit of a huge waste. I scroll through songs at a pretty good clip. If the browser automatically tried to preview every song it would cause a lot of PCs to have sound issues (stuttering and skipping and such).

发表时间 Sun 15 Nov 09 @ 2:39 pm
JoeyKJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I preview a song only if i'm not sure it will fit with what i'm spining at the time, then I sync it if it's good or move on with the next.

Joey....

发表时间 Mon 16 Nov 09 @ 11:24 am
djkz wrote :
that doesn't cause the file to be previewed AUTOMATICALLY .

This doesn't help people, like myself, who use an external mixer. In this mode the preview player asks you to select what channel you want the preview to come over first.

Selecting the wrong channel would mean your whole audience would hear your preview...

Roy

发表时间 Tue 17 Nov 09 @ 8:07 am
hey,

my wish of the auto preview player to be an option means that users who want it enabled, may use it. and those who do not want it, don't use. it's the same as the samples. some use it. some don't.

to cover this in full detail.. why have an auto preview player? what are the advantages? .. and obviously what are the disadvantages?

since the only replies i've seen so far are the "nay' response, let's start with that first.
let's face fact. not all of us are going to use the auto preview for several reasons.

1. each song selected will be loaded to memory and when you browse many songs very fast, you may cause your computer to hault. .. even crash. and since we don't want the computer to crash. that's a -1
2. if a track were to be previewd automatically and the dj is not careful as to where the auto preview will play the music, a music piece may start playing and the dj would flip right in the middle not knowing what just happened. that's another -1
3. did i miss any other reason?

the total reasons i can think of not to have it count to 2. that's it. just 2. 1. memory and 2. wrong output.

really now. memory usage is all about programing logic. when you used to use winamp and pressed the next button 'B' to move through 12 tracks becasue you did not want to double click the file from the playlist, did it cause your computer to hault? no. winamp would just play the song with out preloading it. problem solved.

the second reason: wrong output. that too is a programing logic issue. if deck 1 is playing, then output to deck 2. if deck 2 is playing then output to deck 1. if deck 1 is playing and deck 2 is playing then launch preview player but don't play.. something like that. i'm sure the dev team can do a much better programing logic than i can.

now that we've covered all the "nay" let's talk about the advantages of having an auto preview player

since why at all and what are the advantages are the same, we'll evaluate it as if it were one.

first and biggest reason to have the "auto" function is because none of us enjoy doing a right click. it just feels wrong. and then you need to click on preview and then wait until it loads and select the output and then.. only then.. press play to preview the track. wouldn't it be easier to simply load the track to an empty deck and press play? pheh, now you have full control. jump forward, set cue, all of that. in essence, the current method of using a preview player is not fast. and the entire purpose of a preview player is for speed. agree or disagree?

second.. since we just finished talking about speed. if the preview player were to launch automatically, wouldn't that increase speed? woudln't that make the process of previewing files faster? thus bringing the preview player to it's peak usage? yes or no?

what if you have 10 songs with the same artist and title? and you don't know which version to play? with auto preview, you can easily preview 10 tracks.. FAST.

logically, the only 1 advantage of having an automatic preview player is speed.. just 1. and since majority rules. 2 to 1. this feature is more likely to die. so, now the question is.. can we work around the issues and add in another +1 feature to virtual dj?

what if the dev team were to add in another panel in the browser for the auto preview? like "auto play [1]" which loads and plays tracks in deck 1 or at least through the sound port of deck one?

thank you all for commenting. i await anexiously to hear from you again.

dj shahar aka dj kz
DJ Shahar

发表时间 Tue 17 Nov 09 @ 6:17 pm
In response to your reasons FOR:

1. Now the function has been added to the verb list it means a button can now be added to the skin for QUICK previewing. I have implemented this in my skin i am working on now.

2. i agree with your points here - but why would you NEED to preview every track at every gig (fair enough the function "could" be turned of)

3. agreed, but with a button on the skin - problem solved.

Like i said in point 1. I am currently working on a new skin "MX1" (might not be the release name). In that skin i have put a "PREVIEW" button just above the browser - next to the "BROWSER...SAMPLE....EFFECT" options. When this is clicked the track highlighted within the browser is automatically previewed through the headphone output (assuming your sound settings are set correctly) - nothing can be quicker than that, and it doesnt need the DEV team to do anymore - it is already there.

发表时间 Tue 17 Nov 09 @ 6:27 pm
Hey,

I'm surprised to see only 1 response. and no more "Nay" responses either.

In response to your quote dj touch dan

1. Quick is faster than normal and will be faster if it were done automatically.

2. If the dj is familiar with the tracks, then right click, or skin click will be enough.

3. glad to hear you agree with me. a button on the skin is a step higher. now let's take it up a notch and make it fully automatic.

I have taken a real interest in your 2nd point. Why NEED?

Answer:

It is a feature. Not mandatory to use. Similar to the fx, the looping, the cpu meter, the rhythm, beat grid, and song position with treble and base. it's not mandatory. it just makes dj'ing easier. and most importantly it is FASTER. and can be done WITH OUT THE MOUSE. all pro pc users work around the keyboard to use the mouse as less as possible. ctrl + , alt + , shift + , funciton keys, combo function and ctrl operators. ideally, we want to dj with out using the mouse. as it stands, we must use the mouse to preview a track.

发表时间 Thu 19 Nov 09 @ 11:05 am
alright, i've just tesed out vdj. and it is possible to assign the command "preview" to the keyboard letter q. which means it is possible to preview a song with out the mouse.

still though, auto preview would be faster and an option for preivew position like 20% or 1:00 would be nice.

subject done. thank G-D

发表时间 Thu 19 Nov 09 @ 11:07 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)