Firmware & DriversFirmware
: At the time this manual was written there are no firmware updates available for Pioneer DDJ-FLX6. However always check Pioneer Dj
website for any firmware updates.Drivers: No drivers are required
for the Pioneer DDJ-FLX6 to operate. The device is a USB class compliant and your Operating System will auto-install the necessary drivers when connected with a USB cable.
VirtualDJ 2021 SetupDownload and install VirtualDJ 2021 from our Downloads Page
(in case you have not done already)
Once VirtualDJ 2021 is launched, a Login Window will appear. Please login with your preferred method from the ones provided.
A Pro Infinity, a Pro Subscription or a DDJ-FLX6 Plus License is required to fully use the Pioneer DDJ-FLX6.
Without any of the above Licenses, the controller will operate for 10 minutes each time you restart VirtualDJ.
Buy a license A detection window will appear next verifying proper connection with the DDJ-FLX6.
Click on the "DDJ-FLX6" button for VirtualDJ to apply the predefined audio setup with the built-in sound card of the Pioneer DDJ-FLX6. You can still change that from Settings->AUDIO tab.
Click to OK.
The unit is now ready to operate. MIDI Operation
The unit should be visible in the CONTROLLERS tab of Config and the “factory default” should be available/selected from the Mappings drop-down list. The factory default Mapping offers the functions described in this Manual, however those can be adjusted to your needs via VDJ Script actions.
Find more details at VDJ Pedia
The unit has a pre-defined Audio setup and a special button in the AUDIO tab of Config to provide that. Alternative Audio setups can be applied in the same window.
For further software settings please refer to the Manuals
of VirtualDJ 2021
LAYOUT S SHIFT:
Hold this button down to access secondary functions of Pioneer DDJ-FLX6 (mainly in black lettering inside a gray box, or gray lettering inside a black box)
The functionality of each button, knob and slider per section (as shown in the image above) will be explained in detail in the next chapters
- PLAY/PAUSE. Plays / Pauses the track. Press and hold SHIFT and then press this button to "stutter-play" the track from the last set Cue Point.
- CUE. When the Deck is paused, you can set a temporary Cue Point by moving the Platter to place the Audio Pointer at the desired location and then pressing the Cue Button. During playback, you can press the Cue Button to return the track to this Cue Point. (If you did not set a Cue Point, then it will return to the beginning of the track.). If the Deck is paused, you can press and hold the Cue Button to play the track from the Temporary Cue Point. Releasing the Cue Button will return the track to the temporary Cue Point and pause it. To continue playback without returning to the Temporary Cue Point, press and hold the Cue Button, then press and hold the Play Button, and then release both buttons.
Hold down SHIFT and then press this button to return to the beginning of the track.
S SHIFT: Press and hold this button to access secondary functions (black lettering in gray box) of other controls on the DDJ-FLX6.
- DECK SELECT. Switch Left decks (1 and 3) and Right Decks (2 and 4).
- LOOP IN. Use this button to set a Loop In point (for manual looping).
If a loop is active press and hold SHIFT and then press this button once in order to use the jog for fine-tuning the loop-in point (loop in adjust). While the jog is in fine-tuning mode press this button once again (or exit the loop) for the jog to return to it's normal operation.
Hold this button for approximately one second in order to activate a 4 beats automatic loop.
- LOOP OUT. Use this button to set a Loop Out point (for manual looping).
If a loop is active press and hold SHIFT and then press this button once in order to use the jog for fine-tuning the loop-out point (loop out adjust). While the jog is in fine-tuning mode press this button once again (or exit the loop) for the jog to return to it's normal operation.
- RELOOP/EXIT. Use this button to exit a loop or reactivate the last used loop.
- CUE CALL: Use these buttons to navigate between the saved hotcues of the track. If a loop is active, use these button to halve or double the loop size.
- MEMORY: Use this button to set the temporary cue to the current location of the track.
- JOG CUTTER: Press this button once to set the jog (32) on "Jog Cutter" mode.
In this mode the jog is divided in 6 different areas according to the image on the right.
Holding the jog and moving the red needle marker within each area will produce one predefined scratch pattern.
The scratch sound produced will not match your movements on the jog. As long as you keep moving the red needle marker, the scratch pattern will repeat itself. Depending on the "jogCutterJumpToCue" option, the track may or may not jump back to the last cue-point set every time the scratch pattern repeats itself.
Holding the jog still, will not stop the sound. Once you hold the jog still the scratch pattern will finish playing and normal playback will resume.
Press this button once again to exit "Jog Cutter" mode.
Press and hold SHIFT and then press this button to toggle the jog between Scratch and Bend Jogwheel modes.
- JOGWHEEL. Touch sensitive platter for scratching (Vinyl Mode) or bending (CD Mode).
Press and hold SHIFT and then turn the jog to seek fast inside the track (jog search)
- SYNC. Press this button to automatically match the corresponding Deck's tempo with the opposite Deck's (or the Master Deck’s if using a 4 decks Skin) tempo and phase.
Hold down SHIFT and press this button to reset playback speed back to original tempo (pitch reset)
- MASTER. Press this button once to set this deck as the master deck. All other decks and sampler will then sync their beat-aware functions with this deck.
Hold down this button down for more than 1 second to reset automatic master deck assignment (VirtualDJ will automatically determine each time which one of the decks is the master deck based on a set of pre-defined rules)
Hold down SHIFT and press this button to cycle through the available tempo ranges (8%, 10%, 16% and 50%) for the tempo slider (35)
- TEMPO. Controls the track's playback tempo.
- PAD MODE. Switch the pads of the unit to various modes (see PADS)
- PADS. Offer various operations, depending on the PADs Mode (see PADS)
- MERGE FX SELECT. No function assigned here (coming soon)
- MERGE FX CONTROL. No function assigned here (coming soon)
SHIFT (SECONDARY) ACTION36 PAD MODES8 different modes can be selected for the Pads. When a Pad mode is selected the same VirtualDJ Pad page will be loaded on VirtualDJ GUI.
HOT CUE : Hotcues page
PAD FX : Pad FX page*
BEAT JUMP : BeatJump page
SAMPLER : Sampler page
*PAD FX page is available only when DDJ-FLX6 is connected
For more information about this page please see below
Choose a secondary Pad mode
HOT CUE : KeyCue page
PAD FX : Stems page
BEAT JUMP : Loop page
SAMPLER : Scratchbank page37 PADSPads operate different function depending on the selected Pad modeDifferent function depending on the selected Pad modePAD FX Page:
Each one of the 8 pads triggers a pre-defined Effect
as per the following table:
+SHIFT1Echo with half beat lengthLoop Roll with 1/4th of the beat length2Echo with one beat lengthLoop Roll with half beat length3Echo with two beats lengthLoop Roll with onebeat length4PhaserReverb5Cut with 1/4th of the beat lengthBeatgrid pattern 16Cut with half beat lengthBeatgrid pattern 47Cut with one beat lengthBeatgrid pattern 58FlangerBrake Start
For more information about Pads and how to replace
the controller default pages with other ones, please see PADS Chapter
on VirtualDJ manual.