快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: laptop USB port capable of supplying only 100mA

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

arfurHome userMember since 2007
Adding the optional 7-9Vdc power supply does not make the MK2 self powered - thus enumeration still fails.

What was the the point of adding optional power port if the MK2 can never enumerate on a USB port incapable of supplying 500mA anyway?
Does anyone use OPTIONAL POWER port, and why?

Thanks

发表时间 Thu 06 Nov 08 @ 9:30 am
Hello arfur,

"Arfur" wrote :
Adding the optional 7-9Vdc power supply does not make the MK2 self powered - thus enumeration still fails.
What was the the point of adding optional power port if the MK2 can never enumerate on a USB port incapable of supplying 500mA anyway?
Does anyone use OPTIONAL POWER port, and why?

You need a REGULATED DC adapter: if the power supply bear no REGULATED mention, it is not regulated, and it is of no use on the Mk2.

发表时间 Thu 06 Nov 08 @ 10:50 am
Hi MiB,

My PSU is a fully isolated medical grade regulated 9V psu, but enumeration still fails on a 100mA USB port.

Current drawn from 9V supply is around 430mA. I'll report back tomorrow as to exactly what the USB descriptors contain - not self-powered I suspect.

发表时间 Thu 06 Nov 08 @ 5:23 pm
Hello Arfur,

"Arfur" wrote :

Hi MiB,
My PSU is a fully isolated medical grade regulated 9V psu, but enumeration still fails on a 100mA USB port.
Current drawn from 9V supply is around 430mA. I'll report back tomorrow as to exactly what the USB descriptors contain - not self-powered I suspect.

Check your adaptor is fully compliant with the followng standard:
"Hercules FAQ" wrote :
5. What are the requirements of the optional electric power supply?
The optional power adapter must be a 7 to 9 Volt DC REGULATED adapter, with an output of at least 350mA.
Voltage outside of this range will result in power being drawn exclusively from your computer via USB. The power adapter must be regulated, thereby ensuring that its output voltage is stable. A regulated power supply is clearly identified by the indicator “Regulated”.
Successfully tested power adapters include:
-Uniross AC/DC Regulated from 1.5 to 12V 700mA Universal Main Adaptor (UNI700RSF)
-Uniross AC/DC Regulated from 3 to 12V 1000mA Universal Adaptor (AD101705)
DJ Console Mk2 features a male connector, which means that you will need a power adapter with a female connector to attach to it. The inner pin in the male connector measures 2.0mm in diameter, while the maximum outer diameter for the connector is 6.5mm. This type of jack is referred to as a center positive polarity jack. Thus, when shopping for a power adapter, an adapter with the following specifications would be ideal: 9V DC/500mA; 2.1mm x 5.5mm plug; center positive polarity.

So if the power drops below 350 mA (which happens if the regulation is not good) on your adapter, the adaptor is not adapted.

发表时间 Fri 07 Nov 08 @ 5:51 am
Hi MiB,

My PSU is perfectly fine, and definitely does not drop out of regulation. It's rated at 2A and I've tested it at that, it's still bang-on 9V.

I did some further investigation and looked at the USB descriptors being returned from MK2 to PC without PSU and with PSU.
The problem is as follows:

During enumeration, in the Configuration Descriptor, bmAtrributes value is 0xC0 and MaxPower is set to 0xC8.
Thus in bmAttributes:

Bit7 = 1 (signifies MK2 is bus powered according to USB1.0, but has to be set to 1 according to USB1.1 specification)
Bit6 = 1 (signifies unit is SELF POWERED)

This is all correct. In USB a device cannot describe itself as purely self powered, the options are BUS POWERED or SELF AND BUS POWERED.

The problem is in the MaxPower attributes. This value signifies half of the current in mA units that the device requires from the usb bus to operate.

In the case of Hercules MK2, whether external power supply is plugged in or not, 0xC8 is returned.This is a design error.

This means that if the USB power/hub that the MK2 is plugged into is not capable of supplying 400mA, it will not be enumerated and it makes no difference whether external PSU is plugged in or not. If an external PSU is plugged in, the MK2 has enough power to operate, but enumeration will still be denied (or in certain cases continue with a "Power Surge on USB Port" error message), as the PC is STILL being asked to supply 400mA even though it does not need to.

This eliminates any advantage whatsoever of actually providing for an external PSU!

What needs to be done, is during enumeration,MK2 should detect whether an external PSU is plugged in or not. if it is, it needs to send 0x31 or less in the MaxPower attribute in the Configuration Descriptor. If an external PSU is not connected, send 0xC8 as it currently does.

This will ensure that the MK2 works on any USB port under the sun if an external PSU is plugged in, without any error messages or issues.

Hopefully hercules will fix this in another firmware release...

发表时间 Fri 07 Nov 08 @ 6:06 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)