快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: How big should your D: Drive be?

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I just bought a Dell laptop...

The D: drive was about half full when I got it. After tweaking Vista and what not, I'm at 15% available on my D: drive.
What can I do to free up some space?
Do I even need to?
If I do need to free up some space, how can I make the D: drive larger?

发表时间 Thu 25 Sep 08 @ 8:34 pm
is that your hard drive? and it semes it is is it split into more than 1 partition? do you have a c: as well? also how big is the drive (right click ->propities) it might be that the operating system is on a seperate partition for some reason and the default drive letter is C: so something should be the c:? all seames a bit weird! give a bit more detail n well figure it out!

发表时间 Sat 27 Sep 08 @ 4:17 am
froma computer consultant...

Bottom line make a 50gb drive c... All your data on drive d what ever is left as long as its 100GB or bigger...

THis way whenever you pc crashes, just wipe c, all data is on D....

I should charge you 400 for this...

发表时间 Sat 27 Sep 08 @ 4:43 am
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Yeah, don't you mean your C Drive, (internal H/Drive)

My C drive in my gig laptop is 250 gig. It only has my OS (Vista home premium), VirtualDJ and a folder containing all my unscanned music files in. Once these files are scanned then they get moved across to my External drive.

My External H/Drive (E drive) which contain all my music files is 500gig.

*edit* If you mean partitions, then I don't mess around with them, External H/drive are cheap as anything nowadays. Partitions are a waste of time and energy IMO, unless you won't to put another OS on it.

发表时间 Sat 27 Sep 08 @ 4:44 am
Pleased that folk don't charge for the advice on here, its pricless. 400 bucks ? changing my job LOL

发表时间 Sat 27 Sep 08 @ 6:19 am
carlrose wrote :
do you have a c: as well?

Yes, the OS is on that 1st partition.

jimmy b wrote :
Yeah, don't you mean your C Drive, (internal H/Drive){/quote]
No, brother.

jimmy b wrote :
My External H/Drive (E drive) which contain all my music files is 500gig.

Jim, I haven't bought my USB external Harddrive, yet. I'm still ripping all my music for now to the C: Drive. When I get my external USB harddrive, I'll do like you and transfer all my MP3s.

jimmy b wrote :
*edit* If you mean partitions, then I don't mess around with them, External H/drive are cheap as anything nowadays. Partitions are a waste of time and energy IMO, unless you won't to put another OS on it.

My new Dell laptop came partitioned like that from Dell.

C: Drive is labeled OS and is about 250GB, D: Drive is about 75GB and is labeled Restore or Back up, I think.

But it's almost full now after all my Vista tweaking.

[quote=mroman73]froma computer consultant...

Bottom line make a 50gb drive c...

How, bro? Step by step, please... Does the OS stay on the C: Drive?

If my PC shits the bed use the restore/back up info from the D: Drive?

发表时间 Sat 27 Sep 08 @ 7:58 am
You are correct the D: Drive is the restore partition that if used will return your C: to the factory settings with all the programs and crap that came with the computer. You arent able to change this .

You can also go out and buy urself a copy of Vista and completely wipe out that restore partition if u want as well.

发表时间 Sat 27 Sep 08 @ 12:03 pm
discobrian24 wrote :
You are correct the D: Drive is the restore partition that if used will return your C: to the factory settings with all the programs and crap that came with the computer. You arent able to change this .

You can also go out and buy urself a copy of Vista and completely wipe out that restore partition if u want as well.

I mispoke earlier, it's labeled "Recovery (D:)". Thank you for the info Brian.

And I screwed up the sizes of the drives:

OS (C:) 153 GB free 288 GB and RECOVERY (D:) 564 MB free of 9.76 GB.

发表时间 Sat 27 Sep 08 @ 4:14 pm
hiiiii hola

发表时间 Sat 27 Sep 08 @ 5:11 pm
bascially that partition contains a recovery image with all the drivers, operating system and settings when you got the laptop new and would be used with the factory restore disk that came with it.
DO NOT MODIFY THE RESTORY FILES doing so might make it imposiable to re-install you operating system (unless you have the actuall OS disk and not a restore disk). this is normall my laptop has 3 partitions 1st for the main OS 2nd for whatever i want and 3rd for the factory restore.
nearly all PC's/laptops have this its so small only because its only job is to store the restore files and nothing else.
so do u need it? yes! can i put anything else on it? if you really have to but dont modify the restore files. can you free up some space? i really wouldnt recomend it! i hope this answers your question ;)

发表时间 Sun 28 Sep 08 @ 4:27 pm
Carlrose,
The only reason I asked if I should make it bigger was because when I did a Vista performance check it said that the (D:) was too small.

发表时间 Sun 28 Sep 08 @ 4:50 pm
yeah it wont increase or decrease porformance in any way as all the data that you will use will be on the C: so i wouldnt worry mate ;)

发表时间 Mon 29 Sep 08 @ 7:36 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)