快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: icdx Vs. Hercules MK2

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

vdj.com describes icdx as the perfect tabletop controller for vdj. I am about to upgrade from laptop only user of VDJ to using controllers. I also want to have regular cd players as backup.

I would like to buy pioneer cdj 800 x 2 cd players.

question 1/ is can Hercules Mk2 do same, more or less functions to control VDJ than icdx ?
question 2/ can cdj 800 x 2 connect to hercules mk2 to act as standalone cd player AND scratch pad for hercules / vdj

发表时间 Wed 19 Mar 08 @ 8:00 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hercules does not like working as a stand-alone mixer. It needs to be hooked to a PC for the most part.

Let's cut to the chase -- if you are willing to spend the money on the CDJ-800 --- then buy the CDJ-400s.
Here is why...

1. Each unit can function as it's own soundcard to interface with VDJ
2. Right now it can only be mapped using the MIDI interface, but it is NEW on the street and future support should happen because of it's functionality.
3. And lastly they are CD/external drive players stand-alone

So, seriously look into the CDJ-400s

发表时间 Wed 19 Mar 08 @ 9:35 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I own a CDJ-400 and its a nice player,,I also own two iCDX....if right now I did not want to wait..I would go for two more iCDX and a DXM01usb mixer.....but I hear in the future native mapping for the CDJ-400 will be available....with it there is no need for either a sound card, or a USB mixer, like there is with the iCDX since it works as a soundcard...so you can pick out your mixer....I hope that helps with your decision....PM me with any questions....T

发表时间 Wed 19 Mar 08 @ 9:48 pm
questions
1/ what about the DMC2.........how does that interact with the CDj400 ie can the 2 x cdj 400 act as scratch pads with tccd via the DMC2 to drive VDJ ?
2/ I have a denon x1500 mixer, how does the cdj400's, DMC2 and mixer connect. do the 2 cdj400 go into dmc2 and then dmc2 to denon I assume ?
3/ does all the above controll the video mix aswell, ie vob file on vdj but controll from cdj400 tccd via DMC2

hope not stupid questions but new to controllers and cd players

发表时间 Wed 19 Mar 08 @ 10:12 pm
well where to start ---

DMC2 would connect to the PC via USB
CDJ-400 would connect to the PC via USB
VDJ would be setup to use the 2 CDJ-400s as the soundcards
CDJ-400s OUTPUTs would be hooked up to the x1500 inputs
CDJ-400s and DMC2 could be setup to control VDJ

CDJ-400 and DMC2 do not talk to each other - only talk to the software

发表时间 Wed 19 Mar 08 @ 10:31 pm
No, not stupid..with the CDJ-400s there is no need for TCCDs.....it is a midi controller....if you want to do video..the iCDX is already to rock out of the box....never played with the DMC2..sorry but..once native is available..the CDJ-400s will be great..and no extra sound card needed....so they should work with your existing mixer....and the scratch platter on them is outstanding..not that I am a huge scratcher..but that is one thing it is way better than the iCDX at....

发表时间 Wed 19 Mar 08 @ 10:32 pm
cstoll wrote :
well where to start ---

thanks......more Q's
1/ would a vob file on vdj then play through the cd400 soundcard
2/ do the scratch pads on the 2 x cdj controll scratch on vob and mp3 files stored on vdj ?
3/ where do I hardware controll the crossfade from deck 1 to deck 2 on vdj ( apart from vdj screen with mouse or keyboard)

发表时间 Wed 19 Mar 08 @ 10:43 pm
The controller doesn't care what the sound source is...(mp.3, vob,wma,wmf..the controller doesn't care what is what) remember it is only controlling the PC/file/VDJ..VDJ is doing all of the work, along with your PC....not the soundcard. The crossfader on the skin does not have to move...only the sound crossfader (like the DXM01usb..I have my crossfader disabled on the skin) so no need to worry about that....most usb mixers are not midi (like the DXM01 or the 2000 from Numark) so they do not need to control the skin/VDJ...just the sound output...

发表时间 Wed 19 Mar 08 @ 10:48 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
if you want to do video..the iCDX is already to rock out of the box.... ..

does icdx play dvd ( from numark Supported Disc Type: Redbook CD, CDR, CDRW, MP3 CD, MP3 DVD ) does that mean mp3 files stored on a dvd ? ie not video on dvd

apart from the pioneer $2.5k dvd cd player are there other options to play actual DVD's

发表时间 Wed 19 Mar 08 @ 11:22 pm
It does have a video/rca output on the unit..but I have never tried to run video through it, sorry. VDJ with the right PC runs video very well, and the iCDX can handle manipulation of the video files from your PC just fine. I have seen this done on demo's at some pro shops.

发表时间 Thu 20 Mar 08 @ 8:13 am
from skyfxl blog on controllers [The NUO4 mixer from Ecler is a professional mixer that can control VirtualDJ directly, thanks to its MIDI commands. It is of great interest to DJs who mix video, since its crossfader will also control VirtualDJ's video crossfader.” ]

if a regular controller replaces mouse and keyboard for VDJ then surely a regular controller will 'mix' video by meerly controlling the VDJ crosfader which mixes video from deck 1 to 2. what am I missing here ?

发表时间 Thu 20 Mar 08 @ 9:30 pm
Your thinking that the controller manipulates the video..it doesn't. The software manipulates the video..and the midi manipulates the software..and you control the midi. I know its a new way of thinking..and this is a different way of thinking, and doing things. Unlearn your old ways of thinking.......strong with the force you will become.....

发表时间 Thu 20 Mar 08 @ 10:05 pm
davefromlondon wrote :
cstoll wrote :
well where to start ---

thanks......more Q's
1/ would a vob file on vdj then play through the cd400 soundcard
2/ do the scratch pads on the 2 x cdj controll scratch on vob and mp3 files stored on vdj ?
3/ where do I hardware controll the crossfade from deck 1 to deck 2 on vdj ( apart from vdj screen with mouse or keyboard)

[The controller doesn't care what the sound source is...(mp.3, vob,wma,wmf..the controller doesn't care what is what) remember it is only controlling the PC/file/VDJ..VDJ is doing all of the work, along with your PC...]

I understand that the controller doesnt care about file on vdj, (its essentially acting as a mouse and keyborad is it ?) but I still dont understand question 2/ do the scratch pads on the 2 x cdj 400 controll scratch on vob and mp3 files stored on vdj ? in other words, is the cd player acting as a scratch controllerin addition to the main controller acting as a controller for the other functions ? where is the manual crossfade done.......on the controller i assume ?

发表时间 Thu 20 Mar 08 @ 10:48 pm
davefromlondon wrote :
in other words, is the cd player acting as a scratch controllerin addition to the main controller acting as a controller for the other functions ? where is the manual crossfade done.......on the controller i assume ?

Yes to the first part, but not just scratching..example. with the iCDX it scrolls your music library, controls effects and loop points and works the crossfader on the skin if you choose to go that route...you are to the second part....depending on your choice of mixer, the fader on the skin will either move or not, depending on whether the mixer you choose is midi or not.

发表时间 Thu 20 Mar 08 @ 10:57 pm
TearEmUp wrote :
davefromlondon wrote :
in other words, is the cd player acting as a scratch controllerin addition to the main controller acting as a controller for the other functions ? where is the manual crossfade done.......on the controller i assume ?

Yes to the first part, but not just scratching..example. with the iCDX it scrolls your music library, controls effects and loop points and works the crossfader on the skin if you choose to go that route...you are to the second part....depending on your choice of mixer, the fader on the skin will either move or not, depending on whether the mixer you choose is midi or not.

forgive my double checking here, its complex and I dont want to waste money.

A/ you wrote[Yes to the first part, but not just scratching..example. with the iCDX it scrolls your music library, controls effects and loop points and works the crossfader on the skin if you choose to go that route] Q1: with respect to controlling VDJ does te icdx do everything ? ie what does a controller do extra ? what does a midi mixer do extra ?

I'm having trouble understanding the demarcation between z) icdx cd player/ controller y) vdj controller x) midi mixer

发表时间 Fri 21 Mar 08 @ 2:30 pm
Both are midi controllers, one does more than just crossfade.

发表时间 Fri 21 Mar 08 @ 2:53 pm
Dave,

There are 2 fundamental types of software controlling devices out there -
1 - devices that use the MIDI standard
2 - devices that are Human Interface Devices (HID)

There are several devices that use these 2 methods - mixers, table-top CD players, rack mount interfaces, table-top interfaces

With the MIDI standard the controller can connect the PC and then be configured in VirtualDJ using the MIDI Controller setup under the Remote Control tab.

With the HID devices - software code is written in order for the device to work.

Can you have a combination of these devices that work together - Yes.
Can you have duplicate functionality across multiple devices - Yes.
Can you select what part of the device controls what function in VirtualDJ - Yes, this varies based on using MIDI or a HID device
Do the devices only work with the software - No, Mixers can take other traditional inputs. Table-top CD Players can play CDs or from other media as well.

So, as I responded to your eService ticket... you can see there are a lot of elements out there and it can make it very difficult to simply pick the right 1 item for you. And when it comes to controllers you either know exactly what you want and you buy the exact item, or you think you know what you want and you might have to buy a few items to find the right 1.

Buy the DMC2 and start there. You know you want a rack mount controller. This will get you started in understanding how it all fits together.

Chris

发表时间 Fri 21 Mar 08 @ 3:41 pm
aurjaHome userMember since 2004
i have two cdj400, ive got the plug in, but its only to play the virtual dj on the cdj400, can i control the music playing on virtual dj from my cdj 400. please give me tips for that

发表时间 Sat 31 Jan 09 @ 7:23 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)