快速登录:  

Forum: Music discussion

话题: Article : proforming to an empty room

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
At some point or another, almost every DJ will have to perform in front of an empty room. Whether you call it "putting-in your dues," or something else, this Quarter's tip will show that performing for an empty room is often as valuable as playing to a packed house.Granted, most DJ's don't want to be associated with slow nights. DJ's generally fear that their reputation (as a draw) will be tarnished by a low turnout.However, you should put a positive spin on the opportunity to play to an empty room. Most venues have as many -- or more -- slow nights than busy nights. This means that someone must DJ those off nights. If you make your living as a DJ -- and you're not a superstar generating thousands of dollars a night -- then you shouldn't refuse the opportunity to earn additional money by picking-up a slow night. At the same time -- if you're a new DJ -- the slow night(s) may be the only opportunity to get your foot in the door at a DJ oriented venue.Besides the additional money, there are several benefits that comes from performing to an empty room:

1) It's an opportunity to practice your techniques -- particularly beat mixing. You should always be careful not to alienate the few customers that are in the room. Hence, practice DJ techniques in a manner that patronizes the existing customer base.

2) It's an opportunity to construct DJ sets. A slow night is your chance to "dig in the crates" to find tracks that you could perform on a busier night. A slow night is also a chance to test the audio (and perhaps video) quality of your tracks on the club's system.

3) It's an opportunity to meet the staff and customers. It's often difficult to get to know the club's employees as well as customers when it's busy and you're focused on your performance. A slow night gives you a chance to meet others and get customer/employee feedback.

4) Why is it slow? A slow night gives you a chance to learn about the business-end of our profession.

5) You have a chance to exhibit your ability to show the crowd a good time. If you can make the crowd dance on a slow night -- it demonstrates your talent to "read a crowd." If you're a new DJ, it also sends a message to the management that you're ready for a busier night. You will stand-out as a DJ.Finally, always perform as if the club is packed. Smile and have a good time. Don't look frustrated because it's slow -- you never know who may be in the audience.

want more info :)

check
http://www.discjockey101.com/tipofthemonth.html

发表时间 Wed 03 Jan 07 @ 12:47 pm
...such words of wisdom. and he's not even 18 yet?

brilliant article Sky. working in the same place for the last 8 years, i've seen so much happen that shouldn't have, and have tried to push for many things that should to effect some kind of change for those slow nights. we've recently had a MAJOR shake-up in mngmt., and now can do so much more that we were just strait-jacketed over. new manager, better contests and music have helped increase business 300% from what it was a month ago and its still increasing, taking off the leash from around the dj's neck?.. well a happy dj = party mood and party music. sure its a country bar (most of the night anyway) but that means you have to work that much harder to cater to a crowd that wants their kind of music and their particular style of dancing. its a good thing i dont like country music - keeps the bias factor down - my definition of a good country song is anything that puts people on the floor.

that one slow night of the week is also the one that can really get a resident dj down. the trick is to hold the customers that have come out and keep them distracted until last call. and try not to get too depressed about it. that face you put on to show your customers affects them more than most people would think. i've had nights where i've played to 50 people in a bar designed to hold a thousand, and had a better time than when it was packed.

and if there's any owners or managers reading this - PAY ATTENTION DAMMIT! treat your dj like the guy who is making it possible for you to earn that salary!... because he is. save your complaints for the end of the night. not in the middle of night when you want him/her in a good party mood. (i am SOO glad that jackass is gone! can you tell?)

thus concludes my "i've been awake since friday and its now sunday at 9:15am" ramble.

发表时间 Sun 07 Jan 07 @ 4:15 pm
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
thanks for sharing your views:)

im 18 in march

i agree some owners/contractors dont make the link to the fact it is thanks to you they are making the money , prehaps one day i will walk out on one of them , to make the point =)

发表时间 Sun 07 Jan 07 @ 4:25 pm
skyfxl wrote :
thanks for sharing your views:)

prehaps one day i will walk out on one of them , to make the point =)

That would be a MAJOR LEAGUE BAD IDEA.

Walking out on a gig can only be condoned in 2 circumstances

1) Non payment - no pay, no play
2) Too violent a workplace - If it's a room that has 7-10 fights a night and you feel threatened - get the F**K out

Other than that - Any problems can be worked out at the end of your shift/performance set. Usually by a conversation with the manager with various four letter words thrown in for punctuation. Besides all that will happen if you walk out is somebody else will step into the dj booth, and finish your night. You will have a bad rep ,cause it'll get around INSTANTLY, and you might have a hard time getting a better/new gig.

Be carefull what you do - some things have worse consequences than being a little peeved for a couple of hours.

Remember - Money talks, Bullshit walks.

Make the club money, They'll suck your cock to get you to stay, even if you're an asshole.
Cause the club to lose money, They'll kick your ass to the curb and get someone that can make em money.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

5 years as resident DJ - and counting

发表时间 Sun 07 Jan 07 @ 7:59 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)