快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: Need Help with settings for "Country Music"

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

edsalPRO InfinityMember since 2006
To Anyone who mixes or just plays Country Music on a regular basis:
I've gotten VDJ 4.0 to do everything I want it to do flawlessly and it works like a charm BUTTTTT, and this is a BIG But---I can't get it to play country music properly!!!! I can play hip hop, pop, and rock perfectly, but when it comes to country music, it craps out!!! I've exhausted every setting in the performances tab, so now I have to ask for help from anybody who does play country, or from the Dev Team even (please don't delete my post, maybe someone has found a solution). I play country about 90 percent of the time (play country bars), and because I absolutely love the new features in 4.0, I wanna get it up and running properly. It's never crashed on me, I don't get any skips or crackles, but the bass, especially bass with lots of key changes will get distorted and very audible, and also on slow paced songs. Don't know if it's the sound engine that can't handle this type of music, or maybe i'm just doing something wrong, but I NEED SOME HELP HERE!!!

Sorry for the long post, but are there "Any Takers"???

Thanks in advance,

ED

发表时间 Sun 24 Sep 06 @ 3:27 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have seen your posts before, and it really puzzles me. You claim that it doesn't play country correctly? Well it has nothing to do with the genre of music. VDJ processes digital files, it what you are claiming is like saying a CD player doesn't like your Country CDs because they contain country music. It's ridiculous.

There obviously is something different about your country files than the other music files you have. So a couple of questions -

1.) Where or How do you get your Country music?
2.) If you are the one ripping them, are you also ripping the other music types (hip hop, etc) as well?
3.) If you are ripping them, then what is the difference in settings? Do you try to rip the Country different because you play it more often and want a better quality?
4.) What is the file format of the Country tracks? MP3, WMA, etc.

Let's start there, because trust me VDJ is not genre bias. A music file is a music file and VDJ only cares about the file not the music it's self.

cstoll

发表时间 Sun 24 Sep 06 @ 4:13 am
Hey CSToll,
I know how hosed up it sounds that only my country tracks are hosing up. What's worse about it, is if a song distorts, i'll come back and play it again and it will play fine. I'm pretty positive it's a setting i have wrong, but i'm not too computer saavy to investigate any further into the system for fear of really messing something up---that's why i'm asking for help from the big guns!!!

And yes, I rip all my cd's. When I first starting ripping, i was ripping at 128cbr, but that was several years ago, now all i do is 320. I do have some napster tracks that I lease, but I have no problem playing them, so I know it's not that.

As incredulous as the insinuation I may be making it out to be may sound, I do not want to become convinced that VDJ 4.0 is prejudiced, and I know it isn't (VDJ 3.0 plays perfect), against country music, but my situation appears to be taking me down that dark road. I am using a laptop, but i'm hoping that has nothing to do with it!!

Other than that, All's Well!!!

ED

发表时间 Mon 25 Sep 06 @ 12:05 am
OK, you have a mixture of rip formats when you rip at 320 is it still CBR or are you using VBR now? Also, could you provide a run down on what your settings are for the following two tabs in CONFIG - Options and Performances -.

I found your prior post and I am curious on the rip factor. Also, just to set your mind at ease - the oddity of your situation is the most country music is MID-HIGH which may be a range that the new sound engine doesn't like. I have my own suspicious thoughts on that - my only draw back to voicing it is that true DANCE (House, Techno) are also heavy in the MID-HIGH region and I don't hear to much from the rest of the community. However, it is still a possibility.

Please provide the CONFIG settings and some background on your PC. I am sure it's a setting.

cstoll

发表时间 Mon 25 Sep 06 @ 4:07 am
Hey CSTOLL,
Sorry it took me a while to get back on this, but this is what my settings are at:

For Country Music:
Preset: Fastest
Soundcard Latency: 1024 (23ms) (have tried 512 with same results)
No Safe Mode or Overclock checked (but have used both with same results)
Basic interpolation
Scratch optimized for quality, simple algorithm
Master Tempo - Fast

For all other types of music:

Presets: Have gone as high as best quality with latency at 128 (2ms) with no problems
all other settings the same

autoupdate: enabled
charts: enabled
Tooltip: enabled
MSN: disabled
Maxload: always
Read IdTag: title plus comment
write vdj tad: enabled
security: ask
scrolling: Normal
Disc: 45 rpm (don't know what this is for)
pitch range: - 34% - +34%
Bpm engine: any music
Auto Bpm: enabled
Auto Gain: always 0 db (have also tried always match as well)
Auto Pitch reset: disabled
Auto EQ Reset: enabled (don't know what it's for--i eq on the mixer and equalizer)

autocue: enabled
auto headphones: disabled
Disengage beatlock: manual
Force Fade - disabled
fade length: default setting
cross fader: smooth

My laptop is a Compaq Amd Athlon-M 3000+, 756 MB ram, 60 gig internal hd, 250 external hd. And i'm still using 320 CBR rips.

Other programs that I run simultaneously are Visitrax and SaxnDotties. Background program is Speedswith. Speedswitch tells me that my cpu is running anywhere from 03 to 14, except when loading a song, then it jumps up to 100 percent for a couple of seconds (except napster files, these take as long as 10 seconds to load, then drops back down to normal-but i'm slowly working on replacing those napster files).

I know there are a bunch of other "things" running in the background(ctrl,alt,del), but they don't seem to affect anything that I'm aware of, plus I don't know if they are critical or not. I also disable antivirus software and turn off the wireless connection (the wireless connection DOES cause skips, clicks, and pops).

I do use the Gigaport AG soundcard, external mixer and run a DAC-2 on this system. This is my Backup system, I haven't tried installing it on my primary, so I have a little time to work on it and hopefully I won't hose it up.

Before I forget, under ASIO settings, I have to use Normal + MME, or else I don't get any audio out of Sax n Dotties.

Anyway, what happens is the Bass distorts all of a sudden-like it runs out of power/or maybe even like a clip at any volume level. Just never know when it's going to happen, BUT IT DOES happen and often, but like I said, only on country music. I sure would like to take it out live and see what the sound is like live at the bar (i play at a country bar on monday's and thursdays- heck i've even learned how to mix country). I did do an outdoor ultimate fighting gig when the update was first available and it worked like a charm, but I only played rock and hiphop then.

Anyways, sorry for the long post, hopefully you or someone else who reads this may be able to toss a bone my way!!!

Thanks in advance,
ED

发表时间 Thu 28 Sep 06 @ 1:32 am
OK, first off - I hope you aren't changing your performance settings just because you plan on playing a certain type of music, unless you mix differently when you play those other music styles. - Reason for the question is you listed 'For Country...' then 'For everything else...' -

As for your settings try these for me -

autoupdate: disabled <- unless you stay connected to the net no need to have enabled
charts: disabled <- reports back to the VDJ charts database
Tooltip: enabled
MSN: disabled
Maxload: 15 mn <- Past reports indicate some issues resolved when not using 'always'
Read IdTag: title plus comment
write vdj tad: enabled
security: ask
scrolling: Normal
Disc: 33 rpm <- since you aren't using TCV/TCCD is doesn't matter, but I like it set to 33 vs 45
pitch range: - 34% - +34%
Bpm engine: any music
Auto Bpm: enabled
Auto Gain: always 0 db <-this is good
Auto Pitch reset: enabled <-this always returns any pitch setting to 0 when a new track is loaded onto a deck
Auto EQ Reset: enabled <- this is always good, it ensures that if you do make a eq change in VDJ, then when you load the next track on to that deck the eq's go back to 0

autocue: enabled
auto headphones: disabled
Disengage beatlock: manual
Force Fade - enabled <- if you use automix alot you want this enabled
fade length: default setting
cross fader: smooth

Those are my only settings suggestions. Also, just for the giggles of it in the performance tab, slide the fader to Fastest and change the drop down to Auto, leave SafeMode and Overclock checked.

Now load up about a dozen or so Country tracks into the playlist, set the playlist to repeat, and activate the automix. Sit back and listen - also how have you been listening to these tracks in the past - through your PA speakers or just headphones?

Let me know how things go.

cstoll

发表时间 Thu 28 Sep 06 @ 6:25 am
Hey CSTOLL,
It'll take me a couple of days before I can get to that, but I'll give it a try and see what it does.

Thanks for the help!!

ED

发表时间 Fri 29 Sep 06 @ 12:06 am
Hey CSTOLL,
Just got done messing around with the program using your suggestions. Everything seems to still be the same, however, I did notice that it seems to distort the bass whenever the bpm's are sync'd and they are over plus/minus one. I only tried country and texmex, but when I put the bpm's back to zero, it seems to stop distorting. HUH??? (still can't figure out why any other type of music doesn't seem to be affected!!!) Keep in mind that some of this country music and tex mex has a very heavy, changing bass beat that will slamm pretty hard. I also tried using the sliders on the dac2 with the same results. Seems like a different problem which I haven't been able to figure out yet!!! But I'm working on it!!

ED

发表时间 Sun 01 Oct 06 @ 5:30 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)