快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Why did you price atomix upgrade so high? - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

doxmitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
This is a copy of my post on the Atomix boards:

It is clear the folks at Atomixmp3 are much better programmers and DJ's than they are business people.

The $89.00 upgrade from Atomix to VDJ is a joke! They want their best and most loyal users to have $148 sunk into their product (for me over a 6 month period) -- while the new folks get it for $114.

If you are unwilling to take the time to develop a market segmentation, product positioning, and pricing strategy -- at least just copy Microsoft.

You will notice MICROSOFT upgrades cost about 1/3 of what new users must pay for the software: example WIN XP upgrade from WIN2000 = $99. Win XP New = $275+ .

Additonally: you should have the integrity / marketing savvy to update the Atomixmp3.com page to communicate that the virtual dj program is available, what the cost is for it, AND FOR UPGRADING!!

If the Atomix team did its homework on "How to Make Money in Software" -- then you might come up with a strategy to either 1. Ensure profitibaility with XX% market penetration of niche community like DJ's (and price / segment accordingly). or 2. EXPAND the Market (i.e. find ways to turn every Windows Media Player or WINAMP user into an VDJ user.)

Also -- THIS IS IMPORTANT -- from a cash flow perspective --- how many 2.1 & 2.2 users would have upgraded on their first visit to vdj.com if you had priced it at say $39.95?

I would have -- without ever waiting for a demo. (Quick Math: so if 1000 atomixmp3 users visit the site, and 50% upgrade at $40.00 then that is $20,000. Compared with your current situation where 1000 atomixmp3 users visit the site, and 10% decide to upgrade at $90.00 so that is $9,000 and 400 fewer users who now need to be shown the value of the product upgrade before buying!

Anyway enough ranting and free consulting.

Good Luck -- I think i will wait for the 1.1 version -- once all the bugs are out -- who knows, I might even get it cheaper then.

Doug

PS. THIS IS NOT YOUR USERS PROBLEM! THIS IS YOUR CEO'S & VP OF MARKETING'S PROBLEM.

发表时间 Fri 04 Jul 03 @ 9:19 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The thing is... it's NOT an upgrade. It's a complete seperate DJ mixing software. You will still have both!

发表时间 Fri 04 Jul 03 @ 11:55 pm
doxmitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Rick,
on http://www.virtualdj.com/download.html
is says: Update from AtomixMP3! for $89.85

I think we have a differnece in point of view -- Atomix maybe telling you and us that it is all new software on a new code base -- and that maybe true -- but to the end user, that is irrelivent.

What matters is that the functionality is better than it was before and it is being offered by the Atomix team. Right now on the site there is nothing comparing the 2 products that convinces me I need to spend 89.95 on a new DJ (as you said SECOND) product -- I would as I mentioned be happy to spend $40.00 to stay current.

I believe it is in the interst of Atomix to convert 2.2 users to the new code base ASAP because:
1. It is cheaper to support 1 product rather than 2
2. VDJ will get better faster with all the 2.2 people converting and commenting
3. Confusion in the marketplace will be reduced as right now -- with both sites up and running -- you are effectively competing against yourself!

Anyay -- thanks for listening and happy mixing.

Doug

PS: If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it is ussually a duck ;-)

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 12:42 am
why are you complaining? you have Atomixmp3 thats a perfect program as it is!
Theres nothing saying atomix isnt going to be updated so i dont understand

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 12:54 am
IF atomix was perfect, then there wouldn't be a need for a more "professional" program right? considering that the big selling point of both products is the ease of use and automatisms, there's no real reason to keep both alive when virtualdj looks by all means simply like an improved version of atomix (that hopefully will fix the bugs they haven't been able to for the past year...) why would someone buy atomix w/ its bugs and limited features when there's a better program that looks just the same and has more features? (it remains to be seen how useful they really are anyways --the "beat grid" copied from traktor looks interesting though.)

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 1:45 am
oh and by the way I would have been one of those buying it right away if the upgrade was $40. for $90 I'll wait a lot more and definitely shop around.

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 1:46 am
nobody is forcing you to buy it, your entitled to shop around!

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 1:51 am
I wonder why Atomix productions offers an upgrade if everyone complains about the price.

Because this is not the same software, VirtualDJ is a new pro software for DJ, normally you dont have an upgrade for the new software.

Then hope lucky to be able to benefit this mark of appreciation from Atomix Productions which offers a reduction to the customer of atomixmp3 software!!!
And all that some has to say, it’s to complain.

What a ingratitude!!

Norm

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 2:04 am
stuxxxPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I cant believe there are so many people complaining over 80 euro upgrade.

I'm sure the team have worked very long and hard perfecting what is most definately the best software in the market today

If your serious about your mixing its nothing compared to your hardware costs. In most cases if your a workin DJ its also nothing compared to the constant investment in new music.

Grow up people !!

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 2:05 am
you really don't get it, do you? it's not a question of cost, not just that at least. it's a question of trust, of reliability. so far this company and its development team (not to mention their "voluntary" tech support people) has gotten a pretty bad record of dealing w/ bugs and the plethora of issues riddling atomix. now magically there's this new product that supposedly solves all those problems, adds more features, and it's so fantastic that all you beta-testers are raving about it. well forgive me for my cynicism but after experiencing first hand the frustration of preparing a great show (I use(d) atomix for my radio show) only to see it ruined with skips all over the place, and interacting w/ the inexistent customer support+forum help, I don't trust them. and even if virtualDJ really is that good (and in all fairness I will give it a shot as soon as the demo is available) then atomix becomes a simple "toy" to entice people till they realize that in many cases it's unusable for real use and they're sent to virtualDJ. I don't care about the price, my USB audio card alone costs more than atomix+virtualDJ together... so you grow up and look at the facts instead of just mindlessly repeating the marketing crap you're being fed.

g

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 3:03 am
i have been fed nothing! i have nothing to do with the running of this company as you see i am a "VIP member" not a teamer!

If your not happy with Atomixmp3 or Virtual DJ then why continue to use it?
browse the market and find the product that suits your needs!

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 12:54 pm
nscodeHome userMember since 2003
>I'm sure the team have worked very long and hard perfecting what is most definately the best software in the market today

Does this best software have separate pitch and tempo conrolls? Does it have a dynamics processor, looping with any duration, where is a freq. filter, where is an adjustable flanger (not the volume)? Should I go on...

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 1:18 pm
stuxxxPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I am also not a team member or even a beta tester, I used and I'm still using atomix extensively and i bought VDJ blind.

Atomix was not perfect but improved greatly over the last year or so...

VDJ is not perfect but its certainly a big step in the right direction and i am sure the team will be continually developing it and its features in the months to come..

Technology moves on..........

if your interested in the product, buy it! If it doesnt do what you want look elsewhere, but why put down a product you havent even used yet??

Going on the attitude of some of the posts , If I were a teamer I'd really begrudge even releasing a demo...

stu

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 1:45 pm
Well i dont agree with all the people who just say "go out and but it" They said the exact with atomix and look how buggy that is. I cant understand why they brought out virtual dj?? Why not just upgrade atomix instead?? totally remake atomix with all the bugs taken out and perfect sound quality... Seems to me that they just want to try to make more money with virtual dj. I do think the price is too high to upgrade from atomix but then again i never brought atomix due to its bugs and performance.

Theres no point in buying atomix now as u may as well buy vdj instead. But i think im gonna wait for the demo if its ever gonna be released....??

Dj Dark Storm

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 2:15 pm
Several points in this topic:

1) I think it is fair that one should ask about the update from Atomix to VDJ (even if people keep on repeating that it is a whole new software) when the VDJ website reads:
"Update from AtomixMP3 !" in the download version.

2) According thazt one of the strong arguments used by the team to sell atomix was that free lifetime update would be provided, then it seems kind of contradictory that the VDJ website asks for money for the atomix update.

3) I think that it is not fair when people asked on the atomix forum that some bugs would be fixed and received as an answer, wait, VDJ is on its way. Valid answer is VDJ is an update of Atomix, not valid if it is a brand new software, because it means: "Yes, we know there are some weaknesses in Atomix, but we are fixing them only on our new product and we are goin to ask you money for that in spite of the promise to update for free."

4) Not fair that VDJ is not advertised on the atomix website. At least the team should specify whether atomix will be updated in the future.

5) My opinion is the team did an interesting move, which might be successful. They fooled us a bit with fog around VDJ but, let's face it, we are free not to buy it no one forces us!!!

6) I think that the team made a good move by not fixing the weaknesses and selling a new software. Good for them, they do a good job, a good job deserves to be paid, again, no one is forced to buy VDJ.

7) My only strong comment is that the team tries too much to please hardcore fans/blind buyers of VDJ (cf. answers in the forum such as: "most of the users are ...") . What for? They would buy it anyway, why not trying to seduce new buyers? By adopting audio standards, by implenting MIDI, ReWire, etc especially when they claim this is a remix tool. Besides, why having a pro software which is not even compatible with the pro interfaces? Why forcing laptop users to deal with two interfaces that have not the same sound definition when one wants to use an external mixer ... ?

BOTTOMLINE:

A) Team: Don't claim the software is "Ultimate" or "Pro" when key features are missing and be clear on the atomix website.

B) Blind buyers: listen a little bit to what people say on the forum because some of it make sense, especially when it is about facts (cf. the VDJ website reading "Update for Atomix", it's not an illusion right!!!!)

C) Serial critisizers: go spend 300 hundred bucks on other softwares, no one forces you to stay here but you will be welcome when you realize that Atomix and VDJ are way better than anything on the market.

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 4:39 pm
OyyoDamsPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
1) We've choosed to offer a discount price to loyal atomixmp3 customers. If you don't agree, you can purchase at full price if you want.

2) "Free lifetime update" not printed anywhere, even on Atomixmp3 website.

3) Virtual DJ is not a patch to fix Atomixmp3 bugs. Atomixmp3 has not many bugs, and when we find a solution, a patch is available for free for Atomixmp3. Virtual DJ is a brand new software, even if you disagree.

4) I'll be advertised later.

5) You can stay with Atomixmp3 if you want.

6) Same thing as 5)

7) This really a poor sentence.

A) What key features are missing ?

B) Same as 1)

C) Same as 5) and 6)

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 4:58 pm
Yan-XPRO InfinityHonorary memberMember since 2003
Quote from Lavoisier :
cf. the VDJ website reading "Update for Atomix", it's not an illusion right!!!!

--------------
The exact sentence is "Update FROM AtomixMP3"

It is a special offer for the current AtomixMP3's users.
This offer has been decided to continue our way to accord some discount on our products for the first users that have believe in us.

Do you really think a company can create only one software ?

When others softwares have added a "blue" or "red" version, or a "DJ party" or a "Studio" subtitle just after the name to ask for more $$$ instead the fact it was the same engine/product , I didn't remember lot os users making such a post like yours to disclaim about our politic !

As you have said, we will not force anyone to purchase VirtualDJ.
If you feel alright with AtomixMP3 keep it!

There's a lot of users here that have never tried AtomixMP3 and that are enjoying our new software like you some months ago when you discovered AtomixMP3.

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 5:14 pm
Thanks Dams for qualifying my sentence as poor, at least this time my post is not erased. But even if the sentence is poor, there is no answer to it.

As of Yan-X, you wrote:
"I didn't remember lot os users making such a post like yours to disclaim about our politic !". Well, you deleted one post where people disagreed with one side of your strategy right? Anyway, what does this mean I'm not allowed to make my point though? I don't think so.

I had some comments, to make. I made them. If I'm the only one to think so ... well, good for you.

Anyway, in spite of my comment, as I previously said it, my not agreeing with some strategical decisions has nothing to do with the quality of the software. I'll buy it because I was amazed by Atomix and VDJ being an improced version it can only better.

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 8:33 pm
I'm getting tired of this discussion, but there's one point I want to address. I *LOVE(D)* atomix. I bought it when 1.0 came out, and used it occasionally w/o complaints or particular problems. then I get a radio show, I decide to get a laptop+external pro USB audio card almost exclusively for use w/ atomix, and at that point the problems started happening. 1) the poor sound quality that I hadn't really noticed when dj'ing in parties w/ crappy amps+speakers became obvious on the studio monitors we have at the station
2) atomix started skipping like crazy. yes I'm one of those unlucky ones that have skips no matter how many times I reinstall windows, the latest drivers and directX. the support I received was pathetic, and the forum is just as annoying w/ a ton of useless and unhelpful posts like "It works fine on my machine, atomix is the best" well good for you, but this doesn't really help me does it?
3) I have looked around and I still like atomix's interface best, no question about it that's why I will try virtualDJ for sure and I sincerely hope it really is as good as you guys say. what bothers me is the attitude of the "go and buy it!" posts, and the fact that as far as I'm concerned atomix is unusable and now I'm supposed to pay $90 mainly to fix its problems (plus of course the new features that for a downtempo/ambient dj like me don't really matter that much...)

I hope this explains things a little.

g.

发表时间 Sat 05 Jul 03 @ 9:47 pm
LOL viva Cameron !!

发表时间 Sun 06 Jul 03 @ 9:17 am
87%