快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: is this possible...

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Hi all I actually posted this idea before I think but do to the limitations to the way this forum is set up I can't find my orginal post. Should have a control panel with your account and see the topics you started. That would be nice anyways.

My question is this. Is it possible to convert an old laptop to use as a monitor, keyboard and mouse for a regular PC? I have a small form factor PC I carry with me everywhere but I have to use so much space and wires everywhere to hook a LCD monitor, small keyboard and mouse. It would be nice to flip open an old laptop that has been converted as an external device for a PC. Just connect the monitor keyboard and mouse cables and power and that is it. Small amount of space and ready in no time. Perfect for the DJ like me who chooses a small form factor PC compared to a laptop. And one more question. If not possible to convert an old laptop to this way, is it possible to have something special made for this purpose?

This would be a great product to sell for the DJ-ing computer user like all of us whom doesn't use a laptop.

I have the new odyssey case that has my turntables set battle style and my Ecler Nuo 4 mixer with sliding shelf above the mixer for a laptop. I love the case but I have had to kind of rig something to hold a monitor, keyboard and mouse. It would rock if I just opened a modified laptop or custom built one for this application.

Here is the case I am talking about I have:

http://www.odysseygear.com/display.php?sku=frgsbm12w

发表时间 Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 1:25 am
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Unless you feel like spending anywhere from 150 on up to buy the lcd controller board ...then no.
laptops don't use anolouge lcd controller boards i believe they use lvds, as far as they keyboard and mouse ..you can probably google for a way to modify it to a ps/2 plug (i did this with a touchpad before)
FYI much cheaper to buy a lcd monitor and stick it in the old laptop case just put the controller where the MB use to be

发表时间 Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 1:31 am
"much cheaper to buy a lcd monitor and stick it in the old laptop case just put the controller where the MB use to be"

what kind of controller you talking about?

I would love to get a hold of a non working laptop and experiment. Even one that has a screen that works too..

So I wonder if anyone out there VDJ land is up to that challenge? I would pay money for the development and the ability to replicate such an working portable solution for small form factor PC users. Think of the functionality of it all. Able to open it up and plug in a USB cable and monitor cable into what used to be a laptop and use your PC.

发表时间 Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 10:59 am
The controller I'm talking about , is the interface that turns the vga or dvi signal from your video card into the lvds signal to the actual lcd...every lcd monitor has one....it's the board that has all the inputs on it...unless all the input jacks are on a smaller daughter board....Simply put, if you open up your lcd monitor it's the biggest circuit board in there..

发表时间 Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 4:59 pm
So where could I get one of these controller boards you speak of?
And would it be possible to find a shell of a laptop to convert into this as a working model?

It would be nice if a major manufactur like Dell or Compaq get a product of what I am asking. It would make a killing in the DJ market.

发表时间 Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 8:02 am
u can always search ebay for a broken laptop, you can google for the company's that sell lcd controllers
but i would just look for an older laptop with vga input

发表时间 Sun 23 Jul 06 @ 6:52 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)