快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Managing Your....

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
Managing Yourself.. I Think Its Impossible To Be A Part Time Dj. This thing must be done full time.

You guys ever find urselves caught up downloading more songs than u can play or arrange?
where u want to record a mixtape but always postpone it because you thought of a new track and ur caught up chasing new tracks?
to a point where u feel u need to hire someone to do the downloading for u or need an assistant... but u cant get anyone to do that coz its only who knows what u want... only u knows how to run your special programs....
there's no way one can be part time. this thing is full time.

[im a pcdj user and] have over 100G of music. my boy who runs traktor tell me i have too much music. he says he only has less than 20G and thats enough for his weddings and sometimes clubs. i dont do weddings.
i think im addicted to downloading music and i cant get out. lol

Care to share ideas on how u manage time to keep up with music, arrange files, edit ur files, record mixes?

发表时间 Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 6:35 am
lol ! hear your pain there vpcdj !

first and foremost ! thank you for showing the manners and not trying to potty talk vdj being a pcdj user' ! good on you mate !

just a quick one ! get a second hard drive .... a smaller one ....an 80 gig will do just fine ! then what you do is you arrange by artist not cd or genre .... start with your best artist and serch your hard drive for him / her only... relax watch tv what ever... when search complete you have this perfect list of one artist, make a folder on your 2nd hd with his name/type of music select all right click drag across and copy.
this way you will have a hd with the music you want and not a mixed hd with music that is in the album that you don't need ! saves space and time !

cheers mate !
would be awesome to see a "home edition" label under your name be it only for the use of this community if your heart is truly set on pcdj !

keep it real
spin spin

发表时间 Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 11:51 am
name name is a combination of vdj and pcdj.

my platform for organizing music is pcdj's .ini file. and this is how it works... imagine being able to import the vdj database file into excel. all my music is organized typed out in excel. well not all of it is literally typed out coz most of it is imported. its just so much better dealing with excel than pcdj or vdj. with excel i have unlimited fields to deal with and can have different Worksheets for different genres and special gigs and mixtapes. pcdj's ini file is more useful than vdj's database.txt file.. coz it has the bpms, artist, track, comment, yr, genre, file location... all seperated by a semi colon which makes it perfect to import to excel. while importing it to excel u can live out file location to make ur document neat.
organizing music in Excel makes it easy moving from program to program. coz all u have to do to search for music is through the global search of the program ur using.
Ive put a lot of work and years in organizing my music and your way hasnt convinced me to be more effecient. i dont have a "best" artist. im a dj. lol all songs to me "r supposed" to be hot and its my work to break them and make any artist look "the best".

my music is mostly singles: clean versions, street versions, instrumentals, a cappellas. 1st, 2nd and 3rd singles and my favorite song(s) from an album... and compilation albums: tons of hip-hop, dance, Now That's What I Call Music from early 80s to now... and did i mention i have tons of dvdrs with country, rock, garage and all sorts of genres which i dont think i'll ever even listen to...
the cdrs and dvdrs store albums. my hard drive has the chosen extracted songs.
im just caught up. back in the day when i had dial up i used to listen to files when i download them but now with 3MB high speed its become unmanageable and i need help. im addicted. im chasing the new song... the new remix... i forgot to say i have all (rather most) Funkymixes too. all Promo Onlys since 2003... i either need an assisant or need to stay away from my computer.
Ive been trying to make a mixtape since summer (june) last year but i cant do it coz a new song comes out every minute. its impossible for me to be a cross genre dj and be up to date. its impossible to be a hip-hop dj and keep up with the underground scene.

someone heeeeeelp!

vp

发表时间 Sat 21 Jan 06 @ 8:09 pm
I have to disagree here. I think that it is ESSENTIAL to arrange your music on Genres, and THEN by Artists. Although is hard to do it because some artists play several styles, it is possible to do it. here's my personal organization method (80GB):

First of all, get MediaMonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com/) and clean up your files. This is ESSENTIAL. Then create these macro-folders:

- CLASSICAL and MOVIE SOUNDTRACKS
- POP and ROCK
- DOWNTEMPO
- DANCE and ELECTRONICA
- WORLD

Inside those macro folders, you create the Genres folders. For example, under "Dance and Electronica", I have:

- BIG BEAT
- TECHNO
- HOUSE and DANCE MUSIC
- PROGRESSIVE HOUSE
- TRANCE
- DRUM N BASS
- HIP HOP
- ELECTRO

Similarly, create the appropriate folders inside the other macro folders (i.e. in "downtempo" I have CHILL OUT, TRIP HOP and AMBIENT, CHILL HOUSE, ELECTRO-JAZZ).

For a comprehensive description of electronic music genres (with audio samples), do yourself a favour and visit Ishkur's Guide at http://www.ishkur.com/music/
-

发表时间 Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 7:24 pm
roger i'll put ur suggestion into consideration.

i dont do house/dance/techno music anymore. if i did i know the classics off top and thats all i'll go with.

right now like i said i have all my music in Excel: bpm, artist, track, year, comment.
im only a hip-hop, r&b and dancehall dj.
the first Worksheet consists everything. then i have different Worksheets.. as 80s rap, Early 90s rap, r&b, r&b oldies, South rap, East coast rap, West rap, Pop rap, Midwest, dancehall, reggaeton, latin rap, Canadian (both r&b and rap), and i want to get into UK and european rap.
*songs appear in one or more worksheets.

I'd like to break the worksheets down to eg. one All west coast worksheet, then other west coast worksheets like 80s west coast, early 90s west coast etc...
i'd like to learn formulas in Excel where one input in one Worksheet enters the main/first worksheet.

i know it could get to be a lot of work but we're all just brain storming. Ive put in 3 years of [this Excel] work so far so its hard for me to abandon this method.

发表时间 Wed 01 Feb 06 @ 7:54 pm
hi vpcdj! very interesting method indeed. did you check ishkur's guide anyway? the hip-hop section is ok there.

if your excel list is really that huge, have you ever considered converting it to Microsoft Access? You could have queries and reports printed right away. to be honest I really enjoy the level of specialization you achieved, sounds cool!

anyway still in relation to the excel lists, maybe the best resource are Microsoft Press books. You can try to get a PDF on a peer-to-peer network or buy the real book here:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/103-1980567-6869421?%5Fencoding=UTF8&dym=0&search-type=ss&index=stripbooks%3Arelevance-above&field-keywords=microsoft%20excel&page=1

发表时间 Tue 07 Feb 06 @ 5:32 pm
what is ishkur's guide and where can i see it.

yeah what ive been doing is a lot of work. ive borrowed books from the library and taking free courses in the library just to learn excel and access just so that i can organize my music.
the first time i showed my teacher that in the library. he was really blown away with the time ive put into it. i explained to him what i eventually want to achieve coz im not happy with the way ive just copy and pasted it or typed it in.

its a lot of work and when i can give a screen shot i will. i know i will not be sharing it. lol. i can sell it. but i dont think anyone will agree with my price.

发表时间 Sun 05 Mar 06 @ 8:57 pm
the way you talk about downloading your music. have you even put some $$$ into your music collection? and for your trouble there are many softwares already available that will sort your collection for you by genre, artist, title, bpm, length, year, CD. Which ever. it will list it in the order you want and from there you can print. of course these programs cost money so don't bother looking for a free version ;)

Best Regards

DJ White Devil

发表时间 Mon 06 Mar 06 @ 4:45 am
YSRCaliPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I am pretty new at this whole "computer age" style of music playing. Forgive me for confessing this, but I have found iTunes to be very useful in finding my music on my HD......I too have folders of folders of folders of music sorted within my HD [cry laughing]

In short, by a click of the mouse, I can simply switch between artists, genre, bpm, year, etc. Searches are easy as well. Once I've found the tune I want within iTunes, I drag-n-drop into vdj. For me, It has been very easy and efficient, especially playing "on-the-fly".

I no longer have to create spead sheet(s), print it out and carry it with me in regards to all the music I bring with me (mobile DJ). Moreover, I don't need to even create and/or display a pdf of my playlists as well. I find everything easily just accessing/running iTunes in the bacground.

Hope you may find this useful as well :)

发表时间 Mon 06 Mar 06 @ 5:46 pm
sorting music according to genre or artist or year or whatever comes default with a program, i'm sorry, is not enough. That way of sorting music is sounds so 1999. in hip-hop, crunk, east coast, west coast are all in different sub-genres.
80s funk is different from 80s r&b. 80s rap is different from today’s rap.

Aint no need to attack the vp. Vp is only here for peace, socialize and help all of us move forward and everything positive. We’re talking about organizing music. Not who’s spent what on music.

Don’t be the next contestant on that Summer Jam screen

YSRCali like I said it depends on your size of ur catalogue. One time ur ipod might drop and cease to work. You at least want the list of what u had.

Then again its hard to have all those songs in ones head just to play them without looking. Eg. There could be 60 songs in the 91to92 bpm range (including 91.1, 91.2, 91.3 etc). One can get confused. And not all songs might display on the screen. So its good to have one general list with all songs, and also one that breaks it down to different sub-genres or even locations. Or remixes etc.

发表时间 Mon 06 Mar 06 @ 8:57 pm
krazykPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Yep, like the other guy said, all my stuff is organized by:
Genre
-Full Albums
-Singles

I've been part-timing for a long time. I used to play at 5 different clubs (at the least) in Hawaii (Oahu) and it was all part-time and set up around my schedule.

I'd sell my own original stuff too and made/produced/packaged my own cd's. I started giving stuff out to people, and it got around and pretty soon I had a really good word of mouth going around and people came to me. This was pre-vdj days, too.

And oh yeah...ITunes sucks! I mean it's fine for uploading crap to your IPod but, I don't use it for my own music collection management.

发表时间 Tue 07 Mar 06 @ 7:37 am
My system is:

-> Broad category
---> Genre
----> Artist
-----> Album
------> Song

and I use MediaMonkey Gold to listen and organize the collection (www.mediamonkey.com)

发表时间 Tue 07 Mar 06 @ 11:13 am
YSRCaliPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I understand your feeling and respect that, in regards to iTunes. My intent is not promote iTunes the Program, but only a suggested tool to use for music management and accessing it more easily.....it works for me :)

Fwiw, I found that iTunes is not only for uploading music onto an iPod, but makes a good media player as well. Prior, I used to use Music Match for listening to music on my laptop/PC, but have found iTunes to be more versatile and found that it seems to be a good tool for music management and the bonus, drag-n-drop friendly.

Additionally, I have created many Playlists from 80's, 90's Hi-Hop, Rap and Most Played Hits (just to name a few) as an aid to accessing my music quicker/efficiently. Wihin my Playlist folder(s), I have music catoragized by; Name, Artist, Genre, Bpm, time as well as rating. I can switch/sort between all of these catagories within a click of a mouse. Once I found what I am looking for, I simply drag it into vdj and play/mix. It's that simple.

Anyways, I thought I'd share what's been working for me, good luck

发表时间 Tue 07 Mar 06 @ 2:34 pm
krazykPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Well, you can't help but promote Itunes. I mean I DO need it to upload my music to my Ipod. And it's even bundled with new pc's these days.

It's not bad. It's maybe better in some respects than Windows Media Player.

Hey, can't wait to see how much memory the New Vista/Longhorn/Who Cares Windows version is going to take up. It's like Microsoft doesn't even write new code. They've just been riding off the original rip-off of Windows. And these Windows programs get bulkier and bulkier and suck up more system memory.
And they want to make the new Windows some 3D bonanza? Windows takes up enough memory without draining the life out of my video memory as well! ;)

Anyway, yeah...must organize by Genre.

发表时间 Wed 08 Mar 06 @ 4:58 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)