快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: Questions for all the Pros/Technical Support

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

clayPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hello VDJ People,

I have been reading intently through the forum and want to thank everyone for sharing their experiences with VDJ. I have some questions that hopefully you can help me with.

Question #1

ATI has historically been known for it's good 2D performance and video capability (All In Wonder, etc), but recently Nvidia has been improving. Most video cards are sold based on OpenGL performance, which would seem less important here. Does this mean that ATI cards might be a better choice for things like video mixing?

are both companies drivers equally capable at offloading the mixing operations required from the CPU to their GPU?

Question #2

there are fast hard drives (SCSI) OR there are big hard drives (SATA).... how important is hard drive *speed*, that is to say, does the software do a good job of buffering if you have lots of ram (my assumption), and that thus, you can get a big drive to store video, and drive speed doesn't matter?

is there settings to tell it how much of your ram to use for bufffering?

Question #3
it would seem obvious that PCI Express would be ideal for this situation, because it avoids placing traffic on the PCI bus.... have people noticed benefits using AMD processors and their built in memory controller, instead of intel?

Question #4
How multithreaded is VDJ, and how much benefit does it get from multiple cores or CPUs?

If the VDJ is multithreaded, how does that impact compare to the memory controller, ie... would an Intel dual core CPU have more impact than the benefit of the AMD memory controller? Or would two older Opterons on a dual CPU system be the ideal?

Question #5
would the opteron's be overkill and a waste? (though they are coming down in price)

Have people had problems with any specific chipsets? Intel, Via, Sis, Nvidia?

All answers and insite is appreciated.

Cheers!

Clayton

Erikson Pro/Martin Canada

发表时间 Sun 06 Nov 05 @ 1:16 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Question 2: i advise you 512MB at least.
The goal is to decrease the data transfert time the most possible you can: so fast rotation rate, big memory cache, the usb2 transfert is not advised even it can work
Question 4: yes VDJ is multithreaded and you get a lot of benefit with HT of intel or better a dual core processor

发表时间 Sun 06 Nov 05 @ 1:48 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
Answer #1

VirtualDJ was developed under N-Vidia. So its better get a 6600GT to have a very good Video performance. ATI work too, but I have a X600 with 256MB and isn’t to impressive for me, I will buy a N-Vidia 6600GT or better as soon as I can.

Answer #2

The speed always is good. The faster the better… My advice gets the fastest, reliable, and greater HD you can buy. For now Serial ATA drivers are the best overall good, because of price, capacity and speed (you can get a SATA 300GB 7200RPM for $120). In theory SCSI drives will let you load the videos faster, but you have to spend a lot of money to get a 300GB SCSI drive.

For video mixing you have to get 1GB of RAM as fast as you can to get better performance. If you can get DDR2 (533 or 667 or at fast as your system let you) you will have a better system performance and a VirtualDJ performance too.

Answer #3

Many VirtualDJ users use AMD and many other Intel. Both systems work well. If you use AGP or PCI-E is up to you. PCI Express has more performance than AGP but their use will depend on your system. Some VDJ users have AGP 8x and have very good performance too.

Answer #4

VirtualDJ use multithread, I don’t have the exact info, but it works like a charm in Intel HT or AMD X2 too.

As I said before, “faster is better”, but using AMD Opteron or Intel Xeon not really sure if the high price really worth the gain in performance. These 2 technologies are for Server use, not for multimedia use like AMD 64 or X2 and Intel Pentium 4 HT, Intel Pentium D or Pentium Extreme Edition.

Answer #5

If you like AMD go for an top AMD 64, or X2. Personally I like Intel Pentium 4 HT or Extreme Edition.

Personally, I can only tell you what I known for get Intel at their top performance. If you want to get DDR2 667, SATA-2 Intel is the way to go with an Intel motherboard, like D945P or D955 chipsets, that is the best option for an Intel Processor.

发表时间 Sun 06 Nov 05 @ 8:08 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)