快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: POLL: LIMITER or GAIN??, Lets talk about it.

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

SalvaPRO InfinityMember since 2003
How dynamic is your audio?
Audio dynamics is probably one of the most misunderstood aspects of sound, even among many professionals. A dynamics processor is a device (normally costing between $1,000 and $15,000) which can control the dynamics (volume) of audio, instantaneously, based on that audio.
A dynamics processor may also be known as a compressor (no relation to compressing a file to make it occupy less space), a limiter, or an automatic gain control (AGC). Infact, each of these are simply different types of dynamics processors. They all have one thing in common though -- they control or manipulate the volume of the audio that is fed into them.

Mp3 mixers, Radio and television stations physically and legally cannot operate without a dynamics processor. Pro DJs who operate at large venues usually must also send their signal via a dynamics processor before it is amplified and fed to the venue's speaker network. Even all music tracks are processed with a dynamics processor as part of the mastering process before being mass recorded on to CD.

Benefits of a dynamics processor:
Protect valuable equipment (amps and speakers) from being destroyed from sudden audio peaks or spikes. (Or, for radio stations, prevent over-modulation of the transmitted signal, which would result in interference with other radio services.)

------------------IMPORTANT FOT ATOMIX---------------

Regulate the volume level so that it never gets too loud or too quiet. This is especially useful for radio stations, Mp3 DJs, in-store music systems, and even home users, who need to keep the output volume level reasonably consistant.

------------------IMPORTANT FOT ATOMIX---------------

Allow you to not have to worry about the fact that CDs are recorded at widely varying levels. If a song starts from a CD that is a lot louder than the previous song, the dynamics processor will gracefully ride the levels for you, keeping the output beautifully smooth!

Give you a special sound that you desire, such as a punchy radio sound. Radio stations use dynamics processors to create what they call their "signature sound".

Enable you to get a louder overall level for any particular medium. Because the peaks are compressed, the average sound level is increased. This is why modern CDs often sound much louder than earlier releases. They have been compressed a lot more agressively during the mastering process.

HOPEFULLY you see by now just how important a dynamics processor is for Atomixmp3.

Let me now what you no about the compressors and if you think it a important option for Atomixmp3 or not, i am hoping to convince the Atoteam with this poll.

Grtz Salva

发表时间 Sun 29 Sep 02 @ 12:19 pm
OMG !! Here we go again ?!

发表时间 Mon 30 Sep 02 @ 4:18 am
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I personally would love to see some type of volume control in Atomix. But I know that it would take extra horsepower (CPU MHz) inorder to do so, and some may complain about needed a faster computer just to mix in realtime (its not as easy as it sounds folks).

Maybe something that can be turned on and off would be useful. That way, if were doing a small party and just using a amp with speakers, you can turn it on. But if you goto a club, I'm sure they sould have some type of equipment to do the work, so you can turn it off.

Just my 2 cents.

Grimm

发表时间 Mon 30 Sep 02 @ 8:48 am
something like in otsjuke would be nice ...
they have got a application called "Otsjuke", the built in dynamics processor rules! You can find the same dynamics processor in OtsCD ... that's a freeware proggie ... it let's you play multiple tracks from the same a cd and scratch cd's ! (and the scratching sounds real good!)
main point: the sound this app produces is magnificent!
try it : Otsjuke & OtsStudio --> www.otsjuke.com
Ots CD --> http://www.cdscratch.com/

Try it!
not for mixin' but for audio quality! ;)

发表时间 Mon 30 Sep 02 @ 10:36 am
Yes grimm it takes extra cpu time and you are right.
Like in the partyplayer from www.xaudio.de you can switch it on and of that olso counts for the vu meters.
I found out that they juse dsp plugin Audiostocker, i tryed it also on winamp and it works fine.

The Atomixteam couldt at least bring back the option to use dsp plugins again like in V. 1.2 .

quote"OMG !! Here we go again ?!"quote

Listen Trip if you think it's good like it is right now you are wrong!.

I will keep bringing this subject up till everybody will see how important a steady volume and quality is for a Mp3 player!.
Maybe if you are dj'ing you can check the gain time afther time, but i now also a bunch of people who wanne let the software do the work and don't wanne check the volume everytime.(think of people that are using atomixmp3 also as a backgroundplayer at slower day's)
If you are a Experienced Member! you should try to make Atomixmp3 intresting for as many people possible to.
And let's be real it's not to much to ask, because the develloper of the software doesn't have to invent the weel again, just implant the dsp plugineffect Audiostocker Pro and the problem is solved.

Grtz and i like to see some more reactions,
Salva

发表时间 Tue 01 Oct 02 @ 8:21 am
NO !! I totally understand the need for a compressor/limiter. I just found it kinda humourous how after all this time, you still bring it up ?!!!! I remember in the beta forums long ago ...

"How Dynamic is your Audio ?"

In MY personal opinion, I think the atomix's auto gain feature is sufficient enough ... if people really need to have it fine-tuned, I am sure they would use a piece of hardware (like a hardware compressor). Even if it is not as precise ... I can just make the adjustment on the gain control on my mixer !!!

发表时间 Tue 01 Oct 02 @ 4:01 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
This seems like something you would buy another external gadget for. Like a sonic maximizer, or an actual limiter or compressor. I don't think this can be properly programed into any software application, and perform properly. However, I'm not a programmer. Currently in my rack there's a mixer, an EQ, a power conditioner, and an amp (oh yeah, there's a DENON cd player there too). I think if I really felt the need for a limiter, or a compressor, I'd buy one and put it in the rack.

My 2 cents

发表时间 Tue 01 Oct 02 @ 7:23 pm
Rick - ALWAYS using common sense ... if it ain't broken ... don't fix it !!!!!!!!!! LOL !!!!!

发表时间 Wed 02 Oct 02 @ 2:40 am
Why buy one???, it works fine in the partyplayer from www.xaudio.de.
They use the Audiostocker Pro And all my mp3's sound the same.

Salva

发表时间 Wed 02 Oct 02 @ 2:18 pm
Quote"I don't think this can be properly programed into any software application, and perform properly. However, I'm not a programmer. Currently in my rack there's a mixer, an EQ, a power conditioner, and an amp (oh yeah, there's a DENON cd player there too). I think if I really felt the need for a limiter, or a compressor, I'd buy one and put it in the rack. "Quote

Like i said download the partyplayer from www.xaudio.de and try it then you will see that it is possible to properly program a limitercompressor into any software.
Like i said they use the dsp plugin "Audiostocker Pro" and it works perfect even in winamp it works perfect, But in atomixmp3 it doesnt work!.
Why spend big $$, if it is possible to implant it in the software!.

Greetz,
Salva

发表时间 Wed 02 Oct 02 @ 8:28 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
OK, OK, you've made your point... Jeeze. I think I was just trying to say that as a private party & club DJ working an average of 4+ nights every week for the past 14 years, If I really needed a limiter, or compressor there'd be one in the rack already. I'm sure that the Atomixmp3 team has seen at least one of your many posts on the subject. I suppose now it's up to them to decide if it's an avenue worth exploring.

发表时间 Wed 02 Oct 02 @ 8:45 pm
Jeeze read my message.......Duuuuuuuuuuuuh.
There a publicplaces like i have, that want to use atomixmp3 with or without a DJ.

NOW READ THIS>>>(think of people that are using atomixmp3 also as a backgroundplayer at slower day's THEY DONT WANNE WORRY ABOUT THE GAIN!!!!)
If you are a Experienced Member! you should try to make Atomixmp3 intresting for as many people possible to.

发表时间 Thu 03 Oct 02 @ 8:08 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)