快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Atomix on dual CPU ?

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

vlk72Home userMember since 2002
I am wondering if a dual CPU will improve atomix performances (is a dual PII 600mhz and of course will run on Win 2K), any experiences?
Cheers

发表时间 Wed 14 Aug 02 @ 11:35 am
I am, too.

发表时间 Wed 14 Aug 02 @ 1:12 pm
DJtalonHome userMember since 2001
Even if atomix itself isn't programmed to take advantage of SMP, the operating system is. Atomix would logically be running mostly on one CPU, and then you'd still have another whole CPU free for Windows overhead, explorer, possibly other audio apps, etc.

So no matter what it should provide some performance increase, and noticeably faster multitasking.

发表时间 Thu 15 Aug 02 @ 8:07 am
aknit44Home userMember since 2002
I'd think that since Atomix is designed for mostly one CPU, ie, it may not take advantage of an SMP environment, running more than one instance of Atomix may be able to. Multi-threading may be a good way of utilising more than one CPU, and running more than one instance of Atomix may be a mini-way of doing this.

In some cases, a multi-CPU environment may actually yield lower performance than a single processor system. I have some other processes running on Linux servers that have been designed for single processor systems, but have been installed on SMP-enabled servers. What happens is that you may get blockage from one CPU trying to perform one of the other CPU's tasks. Of course, this is very relative, and may be hardly noticeable, but benchmarking your figures may give some interesting results.

发表时间 Thu 15 Aug 02 @ 11:12 am
Gosh, seems I should test it then, the only problem is that my actual motherboard have one CPU installed at the moment, but if I found a used CPU for less than £ 30 will do.

发表时间 Thu 15 Aug 02 @ 5:59 pm
aknit44Home userMember since 2002
You could add another CPU if you found one. It would be a good idea to use two CPUs from the same manufacturer, and of course, an OS that supports pre-emptive multi-tasking and SMP, such as Windows 2000.

Sometimes Windows 2000 will not start if a major hardware change is detected such as changing a processor. I don't know how it will react to adding a new CPU post-installation, but my guess is you should have no problems.

发表时间 Fri 16 Aug 02 @ 8:33 am
Not a problem, still have to install Win2K ;-)

发表时间 Fri 16 Aug 02 @ 11:23 am
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
If I'm not mistaken, on NT and 2K you can specify in the program properties which cpu the program sould use if you have more then one cpu. So with a dual cpu setup, you can have Atomix1 use cpu1, and Atomix2 use cpu2.

The sound card maybe a different issue though. Definetly dont use any of the Live! series on NT or 2K. And how to get 2 sound cardss working properly in NT or 2K is another problem.

Grimm

发表时间 Fri 16 Aug 02 @ 11:33 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)