快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: How bout we try to start an Atomix "record poll"

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

we'll as its obvious to anyone reading these forums, alot of atomix users are finally starting to go out and play some "raves" and clubs. Ive heard of people using it for weddings, bars etc, but it seems to have taken a little time to break into the "vinyl only" idealology of dance music but it seems like its happened. So now just as vinyl dj's try to play the newest tracks, white label promo's etc, MP3 dj's can be right there doing the same thing.

Im thinking maybe we can get some record labels to make availible some of there promo releases and maybe atomix users can download them off the site here. The idea behind those promo releases is for club dj's to play the track for a crowd and get the music known before they release a full length cd or just to increase sales of the single once its released. For example thats why all those tracks you hear on radio shows like Essesntial Mix on radio 1 are always coming out a few weeks after you hear it, cuz me included, i hear a track on the show that i like and ask about it at the record store. Now of course we arent Pete Tong, but maybe we can find some smaller lables that would like to make some promo copies availbile for some of the atomix users who play out in the clubs

whats everyone think ?

发表时间 Mon 15 Jul 02 @ 8:23 pm
ikkeHome userMember since 2003
Great!

发表时间 Mon 15 Jul 02 @ 10:24 pm
I would definately PAY to download high-quality vinyl rips, someone needs to do it. If it was us here at atomix, it would be difficult to manage the program and the music at once.

The Bottom line is this:

Many of us are willing to pay for such downloads, which would keep it 100% legal. Us MP3DJ's have enough people to make such a business succeed.

If it were like $1 for a track in MP3 format, it would be much better and cost effective than buying CDs and Vinyl. Remeber-what makes us different is we have much more music at our fingertips.

Royalties could be paid to their respective record labels, and we could win.

What do you think?

发表时间 Tue 16 Jul 02 @ 4:33 am
Sounds sooooo good you know it can't be true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...........

and won't be true for a long time, you underestimate the power of Vinyl!!!!!

Sorry to burst da bubble!!!! cos that's all it was!

发表时间 Tue 16 Jul 02 @ 8:54 am
i think its more than just a bubble. tons of people are getting tracks in MP3 format, just look at the "real dj's" who use final scratch and cdj1000 cd decks, think they are getting everythign on vinyl and ripping it, no way. Now yeah, vinyl still is the big format, but i think enough people are using mp3 formats, atomix (of course), to make it worth the while of some labels to start considering it. It takes way more money for a label to press 500 copies and send it to various distributors to get it to dj's, than it takes to convert a track to mp3, let a bunch of atomix dj's play it out at the clubs and bars and get their feedback on if the crowd liked it. it cost the label nothing. I dont think major lables are going to come acround yet, but its a start if we can get some smaller labels to consider us. All it takes is a few and maybe then we can work up as atomix and mp3 dj'ing continue to grow.

Look everyone, right now, if you dj vinyl your getting the best and newest music. I like to dj with mp3's and want to keep dj'ing mp3 so we need to do what we can to make our format accepted and the first step is to play the best and newest tunes

发表时间 Tue 16 Jul 02 @ 10:39 am
id be down for trying to do something like that...where do we start?

发表时间 Tue 16 Jul 02 @ 11:12 am
liquidsound-

spoken true.

it's time to turn the tide. If a few of us came together in a single genre to start with, we could get every major record label within that style to accept a dollar or two per download of pure profit in contrast to 40-50 cents per pressed vinyl. If it can be done anywhere, it's the underground. Brittany Spears makes ten fold off a single CD than she would make off downloads, but the independent underground electronic lables would be making better profit off MP3's than pressing there own shit.

Bottom Line:

It can be done, and there are people like us who can do it.

So lets get it done.

email me @ falldownhappy@hotmail.com if you want to step up

发表时间 Tue 16 Jul 02 @ 11:58 am
I would really like to see this happen.. but how? If the teamers are going to be able to convince smaller labels that MP3-promos are the way to go then we really have to think of a really good answer to the following question from the labels:
"-How would this help us and our sales at all?"

Sure, the promos cost them next to nothing (licensecosts for the MP3-encoder perhaps and then all they have to do is mail them over to someone in charge) but the sales would eventually drop since the peer-to-peer networks are still going strong and there's always going to be FTPs all over..
Let's face it.. if you were given a kick-ass promo, would you deny your friends a copy since it's already in MP3format??
Once one of our collective hoard of friends have realized that "hey... he gave me a copy so why can't I give my friend a copy.." it's gonna spread like wild-fire = noone will be buying it 'cause they've already heard/downloaded it.

It's a bubble indeed.. but a sparkling, pretty little bubble that deserves some thought...
I'd love to see it happen..

Come to think of it, I HAVE seen it happen: www.redemption.co.uk has released several full tracks in their online store's mp3-catalogue and I found out about that on www.di.fm.
All comments about DI aside, they've got their shit together so to speak as they obviously get a lot of attention from different labels :o)

If they can do it with "just" couple of thousand listeners constantly then the peeps that listen to the more active and proffesional Atomixers should probably get some attention from them as well :o))

发表时间 Tue 16 Jul 02 @ 1:23 pm
I think from the smaller underground labels point of view, even if file sharing does occur, its still benifital to them. Back when i used to dj on vinyl, i spent alot of time trying to order vinyl versions of songs i had on mp3 already since i wanted to be able to play them in my vinyl set. IF a songs promo version does become popular and everyone starts downloading it, thats exactly what the label should want. People who spin vinyl then are more likely to hear about the track and buy it, the label goes from obsure to well known and probably the next track they put out is going to be that much bigger just since people know the name.

on another note, Alot of vinyl promo's i used to get would have questionaires that the lables or distrubutors hoped to get back, they were just basic questions in regards to how popular the track was, what style you play, if you would play it again etc. THis would be very easy information to collect online and submit, id estimate that at least 75% of atomix users would give the lables that feedback on a track verses maybe 25% tops for trying to get the same info mailed back from all over the country and world.

What we need to do to get started i think, its figure out a means to let the registered users get the track, be it hosting directly on this site or whatnot, figure out what type of information we can collect and return to the record label about our thoughts on the music and if we would play it at a club etc. Then ideally someone associated with the atomix team could try to purpose the idea, or if at the least atomix would "assign" one of use users the responibility to try to make such contacts with the labels, but i think it might be a good deal harder to achieve if it did not appear we were officially with atomix. Just appearing to be a individual dj that wants promo tracks isnt going to convience anyone i dont think, but if we can show we are a large group that plays for crowds in bars and clubs in nearly every city in the world and we are organized through this website, then we have a good chance.

One last thought, i know ive written far to much already, We need to get the information from all our fellow atomix users that are serious about dj'ing and find out what cities they are playing in and what type of crowds. It would really make a good case if we could show that we had at least one atomix dj in every major US city that could get music out there, not to mention major cities in other parts of the world

发表时间 Tue 16 Jul 02 @ 5:27 pm
jukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Brilliant Idea. My collection is constantly falling behind. Every now and again i discover a wicked tune such as FISCHERSPOONER EMERGE a good couple of months before its aired on radio but this is rare.
I DJ in nottingham and am hoping to be getting a monthly set at BEATROOT from september. I also am one of the ten finalists of teh european section of the NESCAFE LIVE comp. I have 2 years experience

发表时间 Tue 16 Jul 02 @ 11:34 pm
I'm not sure about the specifics but as I recall one of the regular posters here spins at Groovejet (Miami, FL for those who don't know) or something like that and stuff like that might prove appealing to most labels, big and small...
haven't seen him around for a while though... :oP

We can probably pull this off if we get organized and get the support and commitment needed from the teamers.. it doesn't have to be a sub-site to this one, maybe it could be a affiliate-site of sorts so that the Atomix-site remains a site purely focused on our beloved lil' proggie :o)

发表时间 Wed 17 Jul 02 @ 4:11 pm
i like this idea. I have a feeling it's not going to happen though. For one, to get the support needed from other members on this site, this post needs to stay at the top of the posts for a while, or else it's going to get lost. I generally only look at the first page for new posts. So if someone would keep posting new topics related to this one, or if atomix can keep this one on the first page for a while, i think it'll gain more support and attention.

phatty720
dave

发表时间 Wed 17 Jul 02 @ 8:14 pm
exactly...you cant spin mp3s on vinyl...i say we should at least go for it and try it...cuz that is a very good idea...i thnk we should all just put our heads together and think of a way to make it work...this is something, with enough work and motivation, that i think can be done...i myself am a vinyl dj, but i download mp3s first to see if i like the track and if i can use it, then i get it on vinyl...and with mp3 promos i think that would bring in a lotta money for the record industry and at the same time give other djs first hand at the track to go out and promote the song...i say we try to do this

发表时间 Wed 17 Jul 02 @ 10:49 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)