快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Stems, getting on my nerves
SO I want stems 2.0 been making sure I meet all requirements so I come across a gaming laptop that meets the requirements. I spend $500+ on a deal I7 rtx3070 now I find out gaming laptops produce latency that makes it unuseable. Past the return time now Im stuck.... why couldn't this be simple? Are there any fixes for this bullllllll...... I can edit and render a 3d movie but cant run my DJ software with low latency... maddddddd ain't the word............

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 5:00 am
Usually yes
For instance I use a Dell gaming laptop, so with a GPU that can handle stems 2.0
But these Dells are famous for ruining real time audio processing. However that's mainly due to the preinstalled Dell updater/service software, which can be uninstalled. And then the Graphics drivers also need to be updated to a better version
Now I very rarely have problems with it (never say never, of course)

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 5:49 am
klausmogensen wrote :
Usually yes
For instance I use a Dell gaming laptop, so with a GPU that can handle stems 2.0
But these Dells are famous for ruining real time audio processing. However that's mainly due to the preinstalled Dell updater/service software, which can be uninstalled. And then the Graphics drivers also need to be updated to a better version
Now I very rarely have problems with it (never say never, of course)

So is there any way to solve the latency issue? because Im stuck with this laptop.

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 5:53 am
If there is, it's probably specifically for your laptop/laptop brand, like it is for Dell
Luckily games don't like audio dropouts either, and there are a lot more gamers out there than laptop DJs :)
So my guess is there will be lots of suggestions/tutorials for fixing it for your specific laptop in the gaming community. There certainly were for Dell gamer laptops, when I started googling the issue

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 6:00 am
You might try backing up your system, then doing a fresh installation of Windows using a USB you create from Microsoft. Don't install any of the bloatware stuff that the manufacturer ships. You might have to log onto their website and download a few drivers but stay away from anything other than what's truly necessary.

Honestly, for anyone else who is looking to buy a laptop to use with Stems 2.0, just get the new M2 MacBook. It works seamlessly out-of-the-box and is rock-solid stable.

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 6:51 am
This is driving me crazy. Devs need to put this in the Stems FAQ so nobody else wastes their money like I just did. I mean Ive been in threads on here talking about things to understand when buying a laptop and no one mentioned this latency issue...this some bs

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 7:10 am
But it's not a general issue (and latency is always a part of the conversation for any computer setup for DJing or gaming or audio recording, so I'm not sure how you can have missed that)
I still recommend getting gaming laptops for VDJ
I have done so ever since Stems 1.0 came out in mid 2020, and I will continue to do so
Gamer paptops are generally speaking the best option for Stems 2.0, because most laptops with a powerful enough GPU will be labled "gamer laptop" It's not a "protected title" - it's used all over for high spec computers
So generally speaking you have bought the right kind of laptop
However to get the best ones for the job, you should look at the ones with a pricetag similar to that of a MacBook Pro with ARM architecture (M1, M1 Pro, M2 and so on)

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 7:24 am
Anyway...
Shouldn't we look at getting your gamer laptop fixed and ready for VDJ instead?
That basically means start googling for known audio dropout issues with your specific laptop - and solutions to fix them
Like I said most of the info will.probably come from the gamer world

On my Dell gamer laptop, 3 things were needed:
- General optimizations (latest drivers, full power on everything, no power saving features enabled, no harddrive shutdown allowed, disabling virtualization options in the BIOS (which is not called BIOS anymore) and so on)
- Downgrading the GPU driver again, because the latest one was faulty
- Uninstalling everything made by DELL that came preinstalled

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 7:32 am
There can be issues with the nvidia drivers causing latency. I tested an Asus laptop with Ryzen 9i and RTX3080ti and it was horrendous. I now have a Lenovo i9 RTX3080ti and although the latency isn't as low as I'd like there are no dropouts on the audio so there's no real issue.

In a gaming laptop you also need to look at the various power profiles and configs and find one that suits. It can be a bit of work but once done you'll have a good machine for VDJ.

The one I now have does stems at 29.5x in balanced mode and 33x in performance mode so loads the stems in around 7 seconds.

Are you actually getting bad sound or just focusing on the latency monitor? If the sound is fine and you're not getting ASIO buffer underruns then just ignore it.

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 8:23 am
Gaming laptops usually DON'T have latency issues.
And usually they are the recommended solution for any demanding task to be performed on a laptop.
On the other hand, Dell laptops are known to have produced models that frequently cause audio buffer underruns (High DPC latency spikes every half hour or so).
This is not specific to VirtualDJ. It's public information, and a quick Google search reveals all this info, and some solutions for most cases.
For instance, on ANY Dell PC/Laptop you should immediately uninstall "Dell Support Assist" application.
It is known to cause the spikes I mentioned above. On most cases this solves the problem, but not always.
Also, for any user that's going to spend a few thousand $$$ to buy a machine that deals with real time audio, some research should be done first to ensure that basic "critical to real time audio processing" tasks can be done properly.
E.g: https://www.notebookcheck.net/DPC-Latency-Ranking-Which-laptops-and-Windows-tablets-offer-the-lowest-latency.504376.0.html
This page shows the DPC latency results for a lot of laptops "out of the box" (without any optimisations)
It doesn't mean that a laptop with high DPC is unusable, but a laptop with LOW DPC is almost guaranteed to run trouble-free.
So, you could/should check the model you're interested against that list (or any similar list), to see where it's standing at.
For instance, my laptop that I purchased last year, stands at 960μs out of the box.

DPC Latency is not something new. The internet is full of forum discussions about it, on almost all DAW and DJ related software boards.
Also, unfortunatelly, DPC does not depend on processing power either. No matter how powerfull a machine is, it can suffer from high DPC. Also a "midle range" machine is possible to have excelent DPC performance. It's just how computer components behave with each other!

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 10:21 am
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
SO I want stems 2.0 been making sure I meet all requirements so I come across a gaming laptop that meets the requirements. I spend $500+ on a deal I7 rtx3070 now I find out gaming laptops produce latency that makes it unuseable. Past the return time now Im stuck.... why couldn't this be simple? Are there any fixes for this bullllllll...... I can edit and render a 3d movie but cant run my DJ software with low latency... maddddddd ain't the word............
sorry that should say RTX2060

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 1:02 pm
Without knowing the brand and model it's going to be hard to get help .... Unless "deal" is the brand? If so what model# is it?

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 2:22 pm
M1/M2 Mac and all your troubles will be gone lol!!

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 4:31 pm
Well apart from the lack of effects and the incompatibility issues if you also use Windows. But yes in General they are good machines.

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 4:43 pm
Djratedxxx919 wrote :
gaming laptops produce latency

No they don't. It would be more accurate to say "some laptops can cause latency issues". It's not specific to gaming laptops and it's not ALL laptops.

FYI my Alienware m15 R6 runs VDJ and Resolume simultaneously whilst live streaming in 720p, with heavy use of graphics FX for hours on end with no issues.

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 7:07 pm
wickedmix wrote :
Without knowing the brand and model it's going to be hard to get help .... Unless "deal" is the brand? If so what model# is it?

asus rog zephyrus m15 gu502lv-bi7n8
16 GB RAM
Intel i7-10750H
GeForce RTX 2060
1 TB SSD

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 9:13 pm

发表时间 Fri 10 Feb 23 @ 10:37 pm
wickedmix wrote :

I couldn't find g-sync so I figured the something must be outdated with the nvidia software so I removed all nidivia software just leaving the driver and for now all the crackles and pops are gone. dpc latency check is still at the same high levels but latencymon all levels have dropped. So I gonna test for week heavy and see if any problems present themselves. My next test is timecode.

发表时间 Sun 12 Feb 23 @ 5:07 am