快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Software recommendation & pricing

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Hello,
my son would like to start a DJ Career ;-), seriouly spoken, he started to work with Virtual DJ and is absolutely exited.
Now we want to do the 2nd step and we would like to ask you peolple for your recommendation.
When we downloaded the software for free, it was really cool, then we bought a used controller "reloop" from Mixage with a seperate software "Traktor", which doesn´t work unfortunatelly.
When we start ViratualDJ with the controller, we received the information from the webpage, that the "license for free" we expire within 30 days.
This is because we connected the controller to the Virtua DJ Software?
We tried to compare VirtualDJ with other systems, but there are to many providers.
We read often the SERRATO DJ Pro Software. Is there anybody who knows the advantages of Virtual DJ in comparrison to Serrato?
Is Virtual DJ really suitable for beginners? Concerning the costs..."for free" only works without any controller, just using a LapTop?
What kind of license would you recommend for somebody, who wants to find out, if DJ´ing ist the right thing? I want to avoid paying 299 $ and after a few weeks my son give it up. Would it be possible to sell this 299 $ license to any other...maybe with our controller?
By the way...yes, we already read the pricing list, but we are not sure about the best way.
Many thanks in advance.
Chris & son

发表时间 Tue 17 Dec 19 @ 3:25 pm
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
As this is a Virtual DJ forum, you'll likely find most of us will recommend Virtual DJ - we've done our research, played with various software, and selected VDJ as our platform of choice. Having said that, there are many here who use other software as well. It comes down to personal preference, really, and what functionality he needs (such as video or karaoke, which is built into VDJ, and an add-on to other software, if available at all).

I would suggest taking full advantage of the 30 day trial, and watch the tutorials within VDJ and tutorials for his controller. Practice, practice, practice.

Once the trial is over, controllers will still work with VDJ but only for ten minutes, so it becomes harder to evaluate.

If you need more time with full functionality, there is a pro subscription available which doesn't commit you to the full pro purchase price.

发表时间 Tue 17 Dec 19 @ 4:16 pm
xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015
Chris & son

When I first started mixing MP3s from my CDs, I was using VirtualDJ Home Edition without a controller until I had recorded around 15-20 full DJ mixes around 1 hour 30 min up to 2 hours in duration. Once I was able to establish my social media and have enough skill to prove I was a real DJ (I've previously owned my own Mobile DJ business years ago mixing vinyl for high schools) but I needed to establish my skill in the new digital format. I was finally able to purchase DJ Pool MP3s from various companies. I was still using the keyboard and mouse to mix and I was able to learn how to organize my library and backup my media and databases.

Once I was comfortable enough, I've created keyboard mappings to make up for the lack of a controller and used Logitech computer peripherals that could control 3 FX (High Pass Filter, Echo and anything else) without a need for a controller or license. I was able to map scripts or functions to keyboard and mouse buttons to control, dropping and raising the faders for me when my hands were busy that way I could complete transitions in a smooth fashion. I've also learned how to mix with the crossfader near the center and use the kb to center it so that I didn't have to use a DJ controller just yet.

Once I had sufficient DJ quality music organized, analyzed and playlists/virtual folders created, the next step was to finally purchase a budget DJ Controller to finally have more control over my mixes. It was amazing to be able to control the faders, FX, Filters, and crossfader at the same time and use jog wheels to fine-tune things. I've purchased a per controller license for $99 to really test the waters and see if I wanted to pursue DJing on a long term basis with a controller and so far it's fun enough to get really serious with it.

Now, If I want to transition into a working DJ I'll need to buy or rent the Pro License and upgrade my DJ Controller to a Pro level DJ Controller because budget DJ Controllers don't have the correct volume output for a live venue (in most situations) without purchasing more equipment that could be a hassle to set up and carry with me to increase the signal strength. Also, budget DJ controllers jog wheels, crossfaders, and buttons aren't as responsive as more expensive DJ Controllers which means it's best to use them along with a mouse instead of stand-alone. Most venues use XLR or TRS connections and most budget controllers only have RCA signals, but I felt it was the safest way to learn how to mix well and to see if I would give up on this hobby/career or not.

The price of a brand new laptop adds to the cost of all of this and I prefer mixing on a PC at home and would only use a laptop to play live. Having backup drives, headphones, headphone amps, DJ Pool subscriptions adds to the cost as well. It's a fun journey through sound and a great learning experience. Most DJs carry a backup DJ controller and spare equipment in case of an emergency so your first controller's still valuable enough to keep.

At this point, the next option's to purchase a VDJ Pro License ($300) so I can earn money and use any compatible DJ Controller for life. I've tried Serato and Traktor and I've found them too limited because I wanted custom control over every option possible and I prefer VDJ's visual aspect of the waveforms/beat grids. VDJ2020 really is worth every penny and you don't need to purchase expansions or upgrades later on. I felt $200 (plus the DJ Pool subscriptions/headphones) was the furthest I was willing to spend to get my feet wet and now I feel ready to seal the deal.

One thing I know from Venue Promoters and Business Owners is that it's very difficult to have a Venue/Lounge/Business hire you as a DJ unless they've heard of you from word of mouth. All of the years spent practicing and making mixes online will eventually help establish a name that could be hirable. For me, playing at High Schools for $400 for 4 hours was a great way to gain experience and create a buzz. Hiring an accountant and filing taxes was a fun experience when you're the boss of your own business. Running your own business and having a DBA (doing business as / fictitious name) is a lot of work, but it has plenty of rewards to keep you going.

发表时间 Sun 22 Dec 19 @ 3:54 am
stevoqxPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Every time I purchased a controller, I got a free software with it. First time it was Traktor I got with a Denon MC 3000, for me it didn't work. I got two times Serato together with my Denon MC 7000 and the second time with the Denon.MCX 8000. First of all it didn't work as smooth as VDJ and secondly, you have to pay for every extra you want to get. I will stick to Virtual DJ. Start with the home plus edition. If you can work at home with it, you can decide later-on to go for the pro-infinity. You'll see, get to know it and you'll want to keep it! I worked with a crack in the beginning but it convinced me so I payed for the real deal and frankly, it deserves every penny.

发表时间 Sun 22 Dec 19 @ 3:49 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)