快速登录:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

话题: Moved location of Documents folder in Windows 10

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Hello,
In an effort to decrease writes to my SSD and free up space on it's limited size, I have moved all of my libraries (Videos, Downloads, Documents, etc.) properly in Windows 10. Each of these folders gives the option to move the location under it's properties set. Everything on the PC has been working fine except VDJ's data. When I opened VDJ (current build), I noticed it didn't have my iTunes playlists. No big deal, I relinked them. What I didn't realize was my library was empty. It didn't know where home was.
A little searching brought up an older thread:
https://es.virtualdj.com/forums/199375/VirtualDJ_7_Technical_Support_(PC_Version)/Moving_the_default__My_Documents__folder.html
This thread pointed to a registry entry for the home directory. I checked, and it updated properly to the new location. I opened up the new location in a file browser and saw that the license file was updated. I uninstalled, and reinstalled VDJ, same results.

I then thought, since the music/video library was on this drive before, that it was because of the existing VDJ folder in the root of that path. So, I renamed that folder. Same results.

When I open VDJ, it does pull the location of my iTunes since I fixed that. If I click on a playlist, it sees all the songs and treats them like they are new, reading all the tags. If I close VDJ, and then re-open, it repeats the same behavior.

I can't figure out how to get VDJ to recognize the new home directory path.

EDIT: I also noticed that the settings file updated in the new path VDJ directory.

发表时间 Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 9:31 pm
I also tried removing my settings file. It put everything back to it's defaults, but my library was still missing.
I replaced it with my original settings file again.

发表时间 Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 9:40 pm
Well, I have solved my problem. Maybe this will help someone in the future.

First, a description of my initial setup.
Windows 10 PC with two hard drives.
One was an SSD (C:)
One was a large standard drive (D:)

I have had my music/videos on D: for a long time being managed by iTunes. VDJ and the iTunes database, etc. was on C: within their normal install paths. VDJ created a VirtualDJ folder on drive D: treating it like an external drive. It had it's own database.

When I moved my library directories (Documents, Videos, Music, Downloads, etc) from C: to D:, I didn't realize that VDJ would now treat that drive different. It needed the database and folders from the D:\VirtualDJ\ folder put into the path where the home folder was now located in documents. In this case it was now D:\libraries\Documents\VirtualDJ\

Once I moved that, all was good. I will be checking the old backup database from C: to see if I am missing anything. But, since I had deleted all of the CU music, and all of my samples were already located elsewhere, it should be fine.

For anyone attempting this, please make sure to back up all of your existing folders. You never know what data you may need to replace or merge.

EDIT: I was wrong, not all of my samples were moved. Some were still located on the old database. A quick path modification and merger repaired that issue.

发表时间 Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 9:58 pm

发表时间 Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 11:10 pm
I remember a lot of complaints when MS Windows started forcing the use of those library folders. I liked the idea.
I like it now even more with how easy that move was. I've had to redirect a few programs. But, for the most part, all of my data is now in an easy to back up location. Next I'll start moving my music/video library into that location.

I've used symlinks in the past. They worked much better in Linux/Unix/iOS. I ran into problems with older versions of Windows. But, that is essentially what W10 is doing now with the library locations.

发表时间 Fri 15 Dec 17 @ 11:30 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)