快速登录:  

Forum: Music discussion

话题: Hip-Hop/R&B DJ's...? for u

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

First, thanks to everyone that takes the time to respond to questions on this site. For a noob such as myself, I have learned a great deal reading through some of the topics. I have a question for those that mix hip-hop and R&B music. When putting together sets, do you tend to stay within a sub-genre or have you had success putting together sets with songs from different sub-genres? For example, if you are playing some 90's style hip-hop (boom-bap music) or classic hip-hop (Kurtis Blow "The Breaks"), do you only stay within this subgenre or do you also mix in other subgenres such as today's slower 60-70 bpm, west coast sound, etc.?

On the R&B tip, if your set includes classic R&B (think Patrice Rushen, MJ's Off The Wall album), do you only stick to the classic R&B sub-genre or do you also weave in and out of other sub-genres such as neo-soul, current, new jack swing, etc.?

Ultimately, I am asking if the min-set should only consist of one sub-genre or does it sound pleasing to the ear to weave in and out?

Thanks for any responses.

发表时间 Tue 19 Aug 14 @ 2:43 am
Anyone? Please?

发表时间 Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 12:11 pm
If you're looking for a yes or no answer, you won't get one. The answer is "it's up to you".

A DJ will generally just go with the flow and play what they think is right, based on audience reaction. There's no right or wrong. No rule that says you have to do this or that.

发表时间 Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 12:20 pm
What is your purpose of this "min-set"? Are you recording a set to use as a demo to promote yourself as a DJ? Have you been invited to spin for an hour or so at a local bar/club? Are you preparing a set for a private party?
There are no hard-set rules when it comes to mixing, if it sounds good.... DO IT! That is where practice and knowing your music makes the difference.

发表时间 Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 1:12 pm
Thanks for the responses. I am still very much a "bedroom" DJ. i enjoy putting together mixes for family and friends at get-togethers. As a noob, I was trying to figure out if DJs play different sub-genres. I don't recall hearing it which lead me to believe it was no-no. I will certainly keep in mind the concept of whether or not it sounds good to me.

发表时间 Wed 20 Aug 14 @ 11:37 pm
I jump all over the place.... I don't have all my 90's stuff on the HD yet, so I not really fooling around below 100 bpm at the moment and I'm limited between 103-110 bpm. I'll have all that fixed soon, no worries. I am also missing a big chunk of my files of early 2000's rap and r&b.

All that said, here's what usually happens.

If I go old school, I sort of stay there. In between all the well-known jams, the lesser known jams, songs that have been sampled a million times, breaks that have been used time and time again and club favorites that were sometimes very regional; I just find it a challenge to make it all fit together.

I most run between the 80's and 90's; much of the Native Tongues were largely unknown until the mid to late 80's. The only early to mid 80's I can deal with is Mantronix, Whodini and Run DMC. After '85, LL, Juice Crew, Boogie Down Productions, etc.

I also do I guess you could call it 80's Pop/R&B, from Tears for Fears to New Edition. Lots of Synthpop works with late 80's R&B since it uses the same principles, many of the same sounds, Rolland/Yamaha Keys and 808 Drum Machine.

"Girl, You Know It's True" -----> "Shout" Remix -----> "Just Wanna Hold You Tight"

发表时间 Sat 04 Oct 14 @ 7:01 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)