快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: Sound distortion after 40-60 minutes of use

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I gigged my first wedding last night with VDJ. All went well accept for every 40-50 minutes, the sound would be become distorted, it would be a low pitch crackle sound. Barely noticable in the beginnning but as the track would play I would finally realize something was up. I would have to close out of VDJ and open it back up again and it would be fine for another 40-50 minutes. I used the same track to make sure it was not the file and it was not. This happened 3 times last night. Any ideas?

发表时间 Sat 28 Dec 13 @ 10:16 am
Could be heat related.....but it's a bit difficult to say, as you've not given any details about the equipment you're using.

发表时间 Sat 28 Dec 13 @ 11:32 am
It is a recently purchased HP Pavillion Touchsmart 23 all-in-one. We are using two external sound cards (Creative Sound Blaster x-fi).

I shut it down and started it right back up (so maybe 10 seconds lapse??) so that is why I wasn't thinking that it was heat related because I didn't think that it had time to cool off enough in those approx. 8-10 seconds to last another hour before giving trouble.

Plus, even if this is heat related, a DJ has to have the ability of having the system on for 7 or 8 hours to make it through events.

发表时间 Sat 28 Dec 13 @ 1:44 pm
Two Soundblasters? That could be the reason right there.

Any reason why you're not using a decent pro ASIO audio interface?

发表时间 Sat 28 Dec 13 @ 1:51 pm
Well, no, just bought what the store had for external soundcards. I guess I didn't know there would be a problem. What is the problem?

发表时间 Sat 28 Dec 13 @ 2:06 pm
turnhimup wrote :
What is the problem?

The problem is (according to you) you're getting a low pitch crackle sound.

I take it this store wasn't a DJ retailer? You know the saying - if a job's worth doing....

You'd be better off using a single multi-channel audio interface designed for pro use, not a pair of domestic/consumer units.

发表时间 Sat 28 Dec 13 @ 2:14 pm
I'm trying to understand (and really appreciate your time). Are you saying that because I have two $30 external sound cards going to the mixer, then every 45 min (or so) a song is going to act up? Does shutting Virtual DJ down, and then turning it back on, reset the sound cards (or something) and have them work for another 45 minutes?

发表时间 Sat 28 Dec 13 @ 2:35 pm
I'm not saying that the issue is definitely caused by your cheap interfaces.

There's no way for me to be sure as you've not provided much detail, but this much is certain - you're more likely to have issues when trying/expecting to get pro level performance from consumer level kit.

Use the right tools for the job. You've got the full Pro version of VDJ. Now get yourself a pro audio interface. :-)

发表时间 Sat 28 Dec 13 @ 3:36 pm
I guarantee the Sound Blaster cards are your problem because I've heard the distortion. Throw them in the trash & buy a midi controller with a built-in sound card.
What exactly is your current set-up if you don't mind sharing?

发表时间 Sat 28 Dec 13 @ 4:05 pm
rpradoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Just want to take part in this conversation and share some facts for further investigation to the problem. I have no answer.

I have similar but not exactly the same problem about distortion sound which borders me a lot now.
The distortion sound is in the recording and not too noticable during the same performance when live.

Some facts :
- The distortion sound is usually some time say, after 30 minutes after the recording started.

- One incident, one day I played a tracklist around 45 minutes (without rehearsal) and record it, later I play the same tracklist a second time (rehearsed) and record to another file.
The first file sounds clean without too noticable distortion sound problem while the second recording has distortion sound problem and the distortion sound is to a annoying level.

- I was using vdj 7.1, Windows XP on a Notebook, Numark N4 controller.
VDJ:
- I upgraded to vdj 7.4.1 (hoping the new sound engine may help), the problem still there but the distortion sound is less, new version helps a bit.
- An idea came into my mind that may be I should have close and open vdj or switch off and on the hardwares.

Windows OS :
- I tried to set higher priority for VDJ program in Windows XP settings does not help.
- I have suspected may be related to the cache memory in Window OS or Program (buffer)

Controller :
- During the past 10 years, I have used the following controllers, I encountered the same problem before.
-- Hercule DJ Console MK1 had same problem (Acer Tablet PC + Windows XP Tablet Edition)
-- Torq Xponent had NO such problem (Windows XP notebook)
-- Numark N4 has this problem (same Windows XP notebook, same vdj version and program)

- I suspected the hardware soundcard capability
- I suspected the hardware driver

Again, just want to participate in this conversation and give some facts for further thinking.
I asked for assistance in another thread but soon after people started arguing about not important things so I hesitated to continue there, here is my second chance to solve my problem.

My problem seems related to the problem discussing here.

Thanks for your time to read.

Richard Prado Artimix

发表时间 Sun 29 Dec 13 @ 11:09 pm
Please read the forum rules.

Firstly you have hijacked someone else thread with your own problem. This is not polite.

Second, you have posted exactly the same thing in another thread (which also isn't yours).

发表时间 Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 7:10 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I had similar problems with my RMX sometimes but could "fix" it by just opening the soundconfig and click "Apply".
Problem solved... until next time.

发表时间 Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 8:23 am
rpradoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
groovindj wrote :
Please read the forum rules.

Firstly you have hijacked someone else thread with your own problem. This is not polite.

Second, you have posted exactly the same thing in another thread (which also isn't yours).

I didn't mean that. Apologize for the inconvenience made!

Richard Prado Artimix

发表时间 Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 10:51 am
Ok, I'll save up for a better sound card to see if that works. I am running the USB Soundblasters to my external Numark mixer, two separate channels, two separate sound blasters. Also, my second gig on Saturday, my screen went blank like 4 times. The must still played, and when I would touch a part of the screen that part of the display would come back (playlist, a deck, the search box, etc). It would not fully come back on so I would have to close the program and open it back up and all would be fine....

发表时间 Tue 31 Dec 13 @ 4:55 pm
This is a teachable moment, so please focus on the message. You are not ready for prime time, and should not be playing live anywhere. I don't know how good a DJ you are, or think you are, your equipment is unreliable. Being a DJ is more than playing some music, you have to be able to handle any situation that comes up. Your clients don't care about your little soundcard issues. They paid you to provide them with uninterrupted musical entertainment. Would you bring a blown speaker to an affair? The bigger issue is, you did not know what your system would do, because you did not practice enough with it. You are just starting out, and this is the impression you want people to see? So, how can we help you?

First, if you don't know, ask us before you buy. I don't think anyone here would have told you to get those cards. If you can, I would return them. Don't just take no for an answer, fight to return them. The Numark DJIO, is an inexpensive sound card that works with VDJ. Look here. You can find out how to configure it here.

Secondly, You should practice with this, or any setup you get, to work out all the kinks. You should practice as long as your gigs would be. This way you can have confidence, that your equipment is ready for the task. You can not put on a great show, if your are worried that your sound is going to go south, every 45 minutes.

Thirdly, be prepared. You should have as much backup as you can. Shet happens to all of us, no matter how good we are.

Good luck, and let us know how we can help you.

发表时间 Wed 01 Jan 14 @ 3:29 am
Amen to that! Well said, AMAHM.

Sometimes things like this need saying. Cruel to be kind and all that.

It might seem blunt but it's excellent advice that applies to everyone who's providing their services to the public for a fee.

发表时间 Wed 01 Jan 14 @ 7:46 am
Totally agree +1

发表时间 Wed 01 Jan 14 @ 8:21 am
Wow, ok, so this is a great support board. Ask a question then be accused of a bottom feeder, just-push-play DJ. I will not be coming back here. To let everyone one know I have been in the DJ industry for 11 years now, I have DJ'd over 250 or so weddings plus many other events. I came here for help regarding Virtual DJ as the board was designed for. Did I make a mistake with the soundcards, sure, maybe, but this is not how professionals treat each other. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. I wish you all the best with your businesses and hope the support over the phone is more professional. Thank you.
-Fellow Professional DJ, Turn Him Up DJ's, www.turnhimupdjs.com.

发表时间 Wed 01 Jan 14 @ 8:51 pm
I can only speak for myself. Which part of my message offended you? If you were here in front of me, I would have used a great deal of colorful language. As a professional, it is my job to tell you the way it is. At no time, did I imply you were a "bottom feeder". I explained where you went wrong, and offered advise on how to fix it. I also asked you to come back if you needed more help. This is what you presented to me.

You bought a sound card, you knew nothing about. You used VDJ for the first time at a gig, and ran into problems, that you could not fix. You did another gig, and had problems with your computer, that you could not fix. These are rookie mistakes, to me. Now you tell me you have been doing this 11 years, and that you are a professional. As I stated in my first post, I do not know how good a DJ you are, or think you are. This is what I know.

I do not go live, in front of paying clients, with new gear, I have not tested, thoroughly. If I have an issue with any equipment, and can't explain it, or fix it, I go to backup. Things happen all the time, that are out of our control. It's how we handle them, that makes us professionals. That equipment will never see the light of day, until I am confident that it will do as I ask of it. I have other things I need to worry about at a gig, I don't need the added stress, of wondering if my equipment is gonna go south. This is why we buy professional grade equipment. I believe you made rookie mistakes, we all do it, get over it. Is it my bluntness you don't like? Get over it, and look at the message. If there is something wrong with my message or the links that I gave you, point them out to me. I am not ashamed of anything I write. Again, if there is anything I can do for you, let me know.

I also fixed that first link, sorry about that.

发表时间 Thu 02 Jan 14 @ 1:29 pm
pseftPRO InfinityMember since 2009
PachN wrote :
I had similar problems with my RMX sometimes but could "fix" it by just opening the soundconfig and click "Apply".
Problem solved... until next time.

pachn… i was gonna say the same thing… no need to reset vdj.
iv had the same problem in this version all i do, is what pachn said.

and i never used a external sound card when that cracklings happened
+1

发表时间 Mon 06 Jan 14 @ 4:37 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)