快速登录:  

Forum: Music discussion

话题: Best moment for transition? - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Hey guys, what is the best moment for transition from one track to another?Shall I play the second track when the last bar of the chorus of the first one starts, or when the outro begins?I mean how to mix in a way that there will be no long delays between choruses of different songs

发表时间 Mon 04 Mar 13 @ 6:03 pm
What works for some tracks may not work with others. When no-one is listening, try it, and see what sounds good. When no-one is listening, it doesn't matter if it sounds awful - you'll know not to do it again when people are!

Try build up a collection of different transitions to keep things interesting - sometimes a cut, sometimes a fade, sometimes a beatmatch, sometimes effects, it keeps the audience guessing whats coming next.

Practice is your friend - as I found out last week to my detriment - the more you and Practice hang out together, the better you'll begin to understand each other, the better you'll become.

Sadly, there is no exact science to mixing, no magic formula - give three DJs the same three tracks, each will play and mix them differently.

I mix Hard House, and try to have the bassline of one stop (so its just the thump-thump-thump left over) at the precise moment the next bassline begins - again, only practice tells me when that is...

Ta
Mike

发表时间 Tue 05 Mar 13 @ 1:36 am
The best moment is the one that feels right.

发表时间 Wed 06 Mar 13 @ 2:10 pm
Is that necessary to always start the second track from its intro?

发表时间 Wed 06 Mar 13 @ 3:40 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
No, start the track from where you want. Mixing is a personal expression of the music. There are no rules for right and wrong. It's also an evolving expression of oneself. As you mature, your style may find it changes course. Don't sweat "the right way". Simply feel what you are tying to do, and work at doing it....

发表时间 Wed 06 Mar 13 @ 5:50 pm
The only thing that pisses me off is that I read on some forums that there are certain parts of a track from where to start, that you have to count the bars etc. That's why I am getting confused

发表时间 Thu 07 Mar 13 @ 10:03 am
You know what they say about opinions!

The www is a great invention, but because it's open to everyone, you do have to put up with some nonsense sometimes.

It's often the younger DJs who say things like "you have to do it this way"....because that's the only way they know, that they've picked up from another youngster, who read it online, or saw someone do it once. They don't have the experience or genuine first hand knowledge.

It doesn't make their method "wrong" necessarily, just that there's more than one way to skin a cat - and they've only learned one way.

发表时间 Thu 07 Mar 13 @ 10:55 am
Thank you very much for all the opinions, now I will just do what I want and try to make something different from others :)

发表时间 Thu 07 Mar 13 @ 2:23 pm
welll....

I don't entirely agree that its so incredibly freestyle that you can do it whatever way you like.. it will need to 'feel right' to your audience and some things definitely don't feel right and others in general always do. That is why people count beats and bars which should eventually become a subconsciousness habit..

What doesn't feel right (unless you wanna mess with your audience minds, ears and feet) is..

- not starting the tracks on the same beat
- mixing songs in obviously clashing keys, especially when both tracks are very big on melody

What in general should be avoided

- transitioning somewhere halfway a chorus
- mixing vocals through vocals

What works to make it 'feel right'

- Mix in compatible keys or energy enhancing keys
- Not only match the beats but also the patterns of the songs (the repeating four bar part), this way build ups will be in sync as well
- Make the final switch at the end of a pattern, preferably after a build up op drop down

All the above basically follow the way music is build up and hence predictable for the audience.

You are very free to ignore all of the above of course, and to think counting bars is something that makes you pissed of or confused, but at the end of the day most mixable music isn't made freestyle, its also made based on a set of standards that feels pleasant to our ears and senses.

Good luck!

发表时间 Fri 08 Mar 13 @ 10:42 pm
A fabulous mix is the one the audience doesn't notice - the seamless transition, if you will. If no-one stops dancing to look at you as if to say 'WTF?!', you know you're doing it right...

Ta
Mike

发表时间 Sat 09 Mar 13 @ 1:34 am
jboerlage wrote :

- mixing songs in obviously clashing keys, especially when both tracks are very big on melody

None of use were suggesting that he mixes off beat, clashes keys or mixes vocals over vocals.

Just that mixing two tunes together doesn't have to be rigid. Once you get beyond the basics (which you listed) you don't have to stick to one method or technique (such as always mixing after X number of bars).

发表时间 Sat 09 Mar 13 @ 7:41 am
I personally find DJs that mix every song perfectly at 130bpm boring, however at the other end of the scale there are DJs that constantly talk over tracks and are annoying.

It's finding that middle ground. Depending on the type of music you are playing (and the crowd) you can change the style of how the tracks go together as the night goes on.

Keith

发表时间 Sun 10 Mar 13 @ 6:15 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
jboerlage wrote :
What doesn't feel right (unless you wanna mess with your audience minds, ears and feet) is..

- Not only match the beats but also the patterns of the songs (the repeating four bar part), this way build ups will be in sync as well
- Make the final switch at the end of a pattern, preferably after a build up op drop down

All the above basically follow the way music is build up and hence predictable for the audience.

I was giving the OP the benefit of the doubt that, after time, he/she would come to these conclusions on their own. If they didn't, they would probably stop mixing anyway. No need to get all worked up over it....

发表时间 Sun 10 Mar 13 @ 12:32 pm
jboerlage wrote :
welll....

I don't entirely agree that its so incredibly freestyle that you can do it whatever way you like.. it will need to 'feel right' to your audience and some things definitely don't feel right and others in general always do. That is why people count beats and bars which should eventually become a subconsciousness habit..

You are very free to ignore all of the above of course, and to think counting bars is something that makes you pissed of or confused, but at the end of the day most mixable music isn't made freestyle, its also made based on a set of standards that feels pleasant to our ears and senses.

Good luck!

Yes bro, you were right, from the moment I started counting beats my mixing improved very much in a couple of days :)

发表时间 Fri 15 Mar 13 @ 7:29 am
My idea is, try to remember how most of your library of songs end (typically in the last 10 seconds is the outro) and thats when I mess with the volumes to bring the songs together, and fade out the ending song. But otherwise, play around with it, and its up to you! Thats the fun of being a DJ. Enjoy, and Good luck ! :D

发表时间 Fri 15 Mar 13 @ 2:21 pm
Murad Sensus wrote :

Yes bro, you were right, from the moment I started counting beats my mixing improved very much in a couple of days :)

Ur welcome!

发表时间 Tue 19 Mar 13 @ 5:32 pm
groovindj wrote :
You know what they say about opinions!

The www is a great invention, but because it's open to everyone, you do have to put up with some nonsense sometimes.

It's often the younger DJs who say things like "you have to do it this way"....because that's the only way they know, that they've picked up from another youngster, who read it online, or saw someone do it once. They don't have the experience or genuine first hand knowledge.

It doesn't make their method "wrong" necessarily, just that there's more than one way to skin a cat - and they've only learned one way.

I'm not a young guy (32) but in the DJ experience age if you will I'm maybe a few weeks old lol. I agree 100% I've always be interested and finally pulled the trigger on getting some gear. Kept it simple with a controller, and I really have no experience to give advice but I think from what I am getting by reading its all about the audience. I follow a guy by the name Ellaskins on youtube and he put out a few video's on mobile Djing recently. This is the first one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bowoQ5zuXQ4&feature=share&list=UUr3_EE6O_eA71X2quaKvziw
There are 6 so far but he talks about using the Mic to go from one song to the other. I have learned a lot from him already and his catch phrase is "Practice and Enjoy". Simple, basic, true, and full of meaning. Check him out and at least you get an idea of what other ways you can do to transition.

发表时间 Mon 25 Mar 13 @ 6:08 pm
Yes I know Johnathan (ellaskins a.k.a. the DJ Tutor). I have met him many times, been to his house and work with him at the BPM DJ show in the UK every year. Some people don't like his "punk TV" style and all the messing about, but he is very knowledgeable, and the various companies that he's worked with have teamed up with him because of that.

This is the crucial difference. If you get your knowledge from someone who has proper direct working experience then it's better than getting it from some bedroom DJ who saw a Skrillex video once. :-)

发表时间 Tue 26 Mar 13 @ 6:33 am
This is an interesting post, some good information too. As for myself, over the years my style has changed, I started with vinyl in the 80's overseas while in the service (Italy) did some club work, came back to the states did some local stuff, then fell off for a few years. Started back in the mid 90's still with vinyl, mostly R&B, Funk, for parties. I've since moved as the industry has from vinyl, to CD's, to digital. And stiill have the turntables set up at home with all the vinyl when I feel like flashing back. But as it was stated, the only way to find YOUR grove is to practice, what I have also done is gone to clubs and other parties and watched and listened to how other DJ's played how the crowd reacts and so on and so forth. I've found that what I think might move a crowd while I'm at home practicing may not move the crowd one night but move it the next. Reading the crowd is important, I've seen where a guy very good in scratching and mixing completely turned off the crowd he was playing for simply because he was playing for himself as opposed to playing the crowd. And I've seen where a guy who did no scratching at all but figured out the crowd using nice blends rocked the house.

I do agree that learning to mix differently keeps your crowd guessing, figuring out how to transition from a playlist that's maybe 80-85 bpm to 100-105 bpm while keeping folks on the floor. Or going from R&B 100-110 bpm to a nice house set at 122-130 bpm is fun to learn how to do.

With that being said IMHO practice and find what technique works for you

发表时间 Mon 01 Apr 13 @ 7:18 pm
ididitagain2day wrote :
over the years my style has changed

In going from the external mixer and soundcard to using a controller (or even both!), my style has changed and evolved dramatically. What used to be quite chop and cut hard house mixing has turned into a more natural blending transition between tracks.

Ta
Mike

发表时间 Fri 05 Apr 13 @ 6:19 pm
87%