快速登录:  

Forum: Music discussion

话题: Can somebody help with this ?

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

If this issue has been addressed before, please redirect me to the topic, I cannot find it anywhere. Thanks.

So I am rather new at djing, and I have sort of a noob problem, I guess.
I mixed a lot of music with VDJ and I keep seeing this problem.

I open the mix in A Audition and see that at the transition time, the volume of the whole thing rises.
I have many other mixes, made by professional djs, and their sets are flawless ! The volume stays the same during the whole mix.

The thing I kept seeing after an hour of search on google, is that I should "play" with the gain.
I don't understand how the gain thing works. Can someone explain to me please ? I would be forever grateful.
Or just point me out to some tutorials that DO explain. I swear I did my research on this but I cannot find any useful informations.
Maybe I just suck at google.

Thanks again, peace.

*edit, the tracks I use have the same volume, so that's not the issue*

发表时间 Mon 07 May 12 @ 6:44 am
the gain just sets the volume for a paticular channel or deck, the volume slider can only work within the range of the gain... Other dj's probably:

a) have better trained ears
b) better speakers to hear the difference
c) use external compressors to set the dynamic range
d) use post production wave editors like Audition to change the volume when it gets too low

the first one takes time, the next two take money... the last one you can do now... just highlight and amplify the quieter sections trying to blend the levels then run a light compressor over the entire mix.

Mastering techniques are an artform, but there is plenty of youtube to help you understand what compressors do to the audio.

发表时间 Mon 07 May 12 @ 7:16 am
@synthet1c

It's not about the quieter parts of the mix. I am interested in keeping the volume the same, during a transition. Because when you turn the slider to another song, it overlaps and the end result is a curve of higher volume. Let me give you an example of what I mean, from a mix of mine :

http://i46.tinypic.com/14y000h.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I know how to mess with it in adobe audition and make the volume nice and uniform, but it just seems like a tedious work to do, and I just don't see professional djs doing that. You have to know exactly where the volume starts to rise, and exactly how fast it grows in intensity. And you CAN and probably WILL get it wrong. There must be an easier way, that provides optimum results. I mean.. isn't there a sort of plugin or something similar, that limits the maximum volume ? Something that doesn't lower the volume except for when it reaches a certain level. There has to be something like that !

Thanks

发表时间 Mon 07 May 12 @ 11:54 am
that's exactly what a compressor does... you set a threshhold for the compressor to kick in and when the level goes above that it's squashed back down... In VDJ Pro you can use a vst plugin on the individual channels, I have never done it though as I just use the gain knob and my ears if the volume is too low or loud...

with that pic you could easily squash that down in Audition... but mixing is called "mixing" for a reason, you are supposed to mix the audio sources gently together... from the wave I can see that you are not mixing you are playing two tracks togeter at full volume, the when you take the first track out of the mix completely it returns to the usual level so it's a combination of the two tracks that raises the master output and unfortunately there is no way to run a plugin on the master in the current version, running two compressors on the individual decks will not do anything here...

Try mixing the first track at full volume and the second track at 80 - 90% then then slowly switching over the volumes during the transition. Just before you drop the new track make sure the outgoing track is quieter and the incoming at 100%, then swap the basslines completely between the two tracks on the drop and start to slowly fade out the first track. Use your ears and best judgement for the best sound.

发表时间 Mon 07 May 12 @ 12:28 pm
@synthet1c I understand.. but I thought about something different..
How about a setup, that makes the slider go from 100% to 0% volume, in a uniformed way ? Or in a personalized way.
Let me give an example of what I mean :
http://i45.tinypic.com/1h5vme.jpg

Bascially, personalizing the slider's properties, is what I am looking for. That would solve the problem I think...
Or personalizing the lowfader or something.
You may notice I use a different skin. I love this one because I mix using the lowfader.

But yeah, that's my "solution".. but I doubt such a setting could be made.

发表时间 Mon 07 May 12 @ 1:34 pm
yes you could do that in VDJ pro with a controller as you can already adjust the crossfader curve... In vdj home you can change the crossfader curve by mapping your keyboard with:

crossfader_curve "0=[1,0]/0.5=[0.75,0.75]/1=[0,1]"

If I understood the graphic correctly that should have the levels dip to 75% in the middle of the crossfader, the bold part is the centre if you need to adjust the amounts

发表时间 Mon 07 May 12 @ 2:36 pm
Thanks alot ! :D

发表时间 Mon 07 May 12 @ 3:11 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)