快速登录:  

Forum: Music discussion

话题: Mixing help

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Hi guys

I am pretty new at using VDJ and im getting decent at mixing songs. However my main concern is although i can mix the intro & outro of songs, sometimes not even waiting for the outro, what else can i do in between? I see DJ's in clubs and it looks like they are constantly doing things, where as when i try, i find myself waiting doing nothing in between songs. Any help from club DJ's like you would be appreciated :) and anyone else.

Thanks

发表时间 Wed 07 Sep 11 @ 8:47 pm
I'm not a club DJ, but I do a number of things while I'm mixing.

Anyone can fade one song into another -- There are plenty of software applications that do that automatically (even itunes does it).

There are a number of things I do to manipulate the songs I'm playing so that they're not so stagnate.

Cutting in between tracks is probably the most bare bones thing to do while on the board:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rblflLpfblc

This is by far the best video I've found, and it features the Numark Mixtrack, which is probably one of the most popular starter boards here.

It should be fairly easy to follow, but it's also important to remember that djing is also ~10% visual. So it's very possible that the excessive amount of board work is just the DJ being "in the zone" and fiddling with the EQ and Fader to stay concentrated, not to mention look more DJish, even if it's not entirely "necessary".

Then again the type of mixing their doing is important to consider as well. If they're scratching their hands are gonna be all over the place. If they're mixing in their own affects (i.e not pre-recorded into the track being play) then they're going to be hands on all the time.

Think "stick-shift" vs "automatic".

I hope that helps a little.

Good luck!

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert, but I like to lend my experience to others when I can. Feel free to comment otherwise if you feel I've said something wrong.

发表时间 Thu 08 Sep 11 @ 12:41 pm
Wow very helpful tutorial even though im not into dubstep i can see the technique thanks for sharing. I think watching DJ's in clubs i was really taken aback cause i have no idea what they are pressing, but with these annotations it shows some good techniques and it doesnt look so impossible. It has become clear to me that i cant mix with just virtual dj aswel. Thanks heaps

发表时间 Thu 08 Sep 11 @ 10:43 pm
yep you're a champ

发表时间 Thu 08 Sep 11 @ 10:48 pm

发表时间 Thu 08 Sep 11 @ 11:18 pm
Yeah i can beatmatch fine, even without sync but the interface looks so much better on the mixtrack. using the mouse and even keyboard shortcuts just doesnt seem as good. as for scratching i am hopelesss on vdj XD. As for hardware i will take into consideratioen the mixtrack pro

thanks again

发表时间 Thu 08 Sep 11 @ 11:32 pm
when i say the interface looks better on the mixtrack, i dont just mean for beatmatching

发表时间 Thu 08 Sep 11 @ 11:33 pm
get a reloop digital jockey 2 I got one second hand for $250 off ebay, upgrade to pro, get the mapper I'm working on when released... I have done some crazy things to the mapping of the dj2, It will give you plenty to do in the middle of a mix.

Other than that just listen to the songs, if you think you need a fill give it a fill with a roll effect, or if you want to turn down one filter out the lows... if you want to to give the track some ambiance and get people excited filter out the highs. You should mix your highs and mids occasionally to hear different parts of the tracks, there is plenty to do...

That being said don't ever overuse effects even if andy golden says to, it will mess up the sound and although it may be fun for you it is horrible to listen to, unless the audience know what is happening and appreciate what your doing, as in go nuts with your dj mates showing them the craziest routine you can think of with as many effects as your computer can handle, but in a live environment your job is to listen to the music and adjust it so it mixes well and at the right times.

Effects are great for fills, but not for a whole song, if they were scratch dj's and "controllerists" wouldn't be the five minute sideshow, with their only true appreciation coming from other scratch dj's and "controllerists", that they are right now.

发表时间 Fri 09 Sep 11 @ 12:05 am
Exta988Home userMember since 2012
http://youtu.be/rcdLNq3rSdg

This is a link to a video that I upload on YouTube with a link for download my keyboard mapping and with description of how to run my mapping in VirtualDJ.
I create a keyboard mixer that helps me to improve my mixing.

发表时间 Sat 28 Jan 12 @ 10:16 am
JC JOYHome userMember since 2012
Hiii! guys!! as I can hear one side deck A and deck B across in my headphones? in the new virtual dj 7.0

发表时间 Tue 07 Feb 12 @ 4:43 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)