快速登录:  

Forum: Video Discussion

话题: Can you give me feedback on my video mix please?

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I've been using Virtual DJ since I was 12, I'm 19 and recently bought a MIDI controller and did a Eminem music video mix playing around, it's my first official one just to let you know. I'm just wondering if you could give me any tips or recommendations if you see anything? Because I know it's not perfect. Thank you.

This is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XegqiluqPL0

Thanks once again.

发表时间 Tue 06 Sep 11 @ 4:06 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
When a 12 year old walks up to my gear and says "Oh I've got that software too", I think wow this kids got the best tools he could possibly have, tools I didn't have at his age. I don't get mad at him, instead I think that at such a young age with these tools, I wonder where he will be in a few years.

What we hope is that when Virtual Dj starts to make you money that you consider a full pro license so you can unlock things you may not be aware exist.

The mix is ok, but a few things to note.
Count your beats, know what verse you are hearing and use the chorus or break to mix out on and into the next first verse with a cut or a fade depending on the intro.
Don't let the vocals overlap more than 4 beats when mixing out, when it lingers its clashing after a while.
Watch rapid or large % pitch changes and resets, make it less obvious or do it by hand with that controller.
When possible, use key identification to mix tracks that play nice harmonically.

Practice, practice, practice....

发表时间 Tue 13 Sep 11 @ 6:11 am

Yeah I know exactly what you're saying. You've got me sussed that much, come on give me break, we've gotta start some where. I wanted to buy it but as a student, I don't exactly have that much money at the moment for it, for the full edition; I wanted it for all the special FX and things on here. Don't worry, I have every intention of buying the software legitimately for the use of business in front of crowds.

Yeah, Rap is kinda hard to mix, I mainly listen for the snare patten, or the way the lyrics are rapped in the song to fit, if this is a good idea? And as you say, some time after that video mix, I did start playing with the FX and did find myself using the 'break' a lot more often, like you say, it does seem to work really good to drop the tracks out, with most types of mixing. Would you not say that quietly bringing the vocals in is a good idea then? I just thought it gave a vibe to the audience, which makes them recognize what track is coming in. I'm guessing you must mean play the loop on the last for beats of the song playing, just before I wanna bring the next track in, and just after the loop finishes drop the next song in and instantly turn the 4beat loop off? Yeah you're right about the clashing. My pitching has been a big problem with mixing, you will notice that I took the key off unintentionally towards the end "my bad" maybe I should just use the 'break' for slowing songs to a alt rather than doing it manually? And I always try and keep the song BPM's close to each other as much as possible, if not 'break' out. Sorry to ask but how do you use key identification?

Thank you for your advise and help, and my noticeable illegal activity. LOL

Rich,

=)

发表时间 Fri 16 Sep 11 @ 7:05 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
The only thing I can add to Rick is, not every transition has to be a long blend. If Keys are compatable, you can loop either song (with no or low background vocal) during the fade to keep vocals out of the mix and go for the long mix.

Sometimes if I can't get that kind of mix and the beats are close, I stack the second track's 1st beat, on the last beat of the song I am fading out of. Beat never stops, no clash and usually a pleasantly surprised crowd. Just make sure the BPM is the same by Syncing it.

EXAMPLE - Try to fade from any similar BPM range song into "Hotel Room Service" by Pitbull.
1. Use the Pitbull track as the second song
2. Start your fade into the no beat part (15+ sec in). You do not have to play the whole intro section of the Pitbull song, But you have 30 seconds to make a real good mix.
3. Then on the first real down beat of "Hotel Room Service" at about 44 sec. Make the first down beat of "Hotel Room Service" (about 44 sec) line up with the last beat of the song you are fading out of. You should be teasing your crown with a hint of the next song "meet me at the hotel room.." in the background (at a lower volume) than the 1st song song you are fading out of.
4. Then when the first song drops out (last beat) and "Hotel Room Service" kicks in (on first beat), cut the fader over.

That should make a real high energy blend. When learning, I find Classic Hip Hop and Pitbull very easily makes pretty good mixes.

Deffinatley try to catch loops after the corus. If you chop the most recogniseable part of the song that everyone in you crowd is singing (in thier head or whatever) they WILL notice, and you are bound to get some looks or complaints.

Last I learned with listening to the snare when my headphones were sub par, it was just easier to hear. BUT you can't do that. Most songs are based of 4 beat structures. A kick drum or bass is always the first beat at the start of a song, start of vocals and resume from corus. Meaning it is the 1st of four, and the only one you can easily identfy.

The 4 Beats are - Kick drum (bass) - Snare - Kick drum (bass) - Snare - Then repeat. When there are 2 snares, there is no way to really tell the difference/significance between them. You will get luck sometimes, but other you will align 2 songs like this:

1st song - Kick drum (bass) - Snare - Kick drum (bass) - Snare
2nd song --------------------------------------- Kick drum (bass) - Snare - Kick drum (bass) -Snare

Instead, if you identify the first beat you will get mixes like this:

1st song - Kick drum (bass) - Snare - Kick drum (bass) - Snare
2nd song - Kick drum (bass) - Snare - Kick drum (bass) - Snare

Which is what will sound better. Good Luck, PM me if you need help, or you can see the mixing section of the forum.

发表时间 Mon 19 Sep 11 @ 11:56 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)