快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: Automix pop and volume issues

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

mr. nn7Home userMember since 2010
I'm a regular Traktor user who is testing VirtualDJ for a possible migration. I downloaded the trial yesterday, v. 6.07 b217. I have found a few issues with automix that I was hoping someone could help me fix. I'm currently on a core2 duo at 2.53 ghz, 4gb ram, running windows 7 64bit. I'm currently using the internal soundcard on my laptop (haven't plugged in the Gigaport yet).

1. When the automix starts, the ending track suddenly gets louder for maybe a quarter second. The volume change is significant and obvious, especially with songs that are stable in volume.

2. When the ending track finally stops, there's a pop in the audio output. I had the performance slider all the way over at quality. I've tried setting latency back to auto and turning on safe-mode but neither of those fixed the problem.

I created a few sample files to explore this a little closer. I created 500hz and 783hz sine wave files so I can look closer at what's going on:

http://www.artsmartempire.com/virtualdj/500.mp3
http://www.artsmartempire.com/virtualdj/783.mp3

I used those along with mp3s of Golden Earring's "Radar Love", Moody Blues's "Nights in White Satin", and Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight" just because they were in my playlist at the time.

I played songs in virtualDJ and recorded the output with Adobe Audition. What Audition recorded matches what I heard in realtime.

We'll start with

http://www.artsmartempire.com/virtualdj/transition_pop.mp3

This is just using automix to jump between our two synthetic waveforms. At 5.1955s we have the end of the first transition and an audible pop. With audition it's clear to see this pop is due to the sharp cut from peak to trough (with some fourier distortion thrown in from the mp3 compression of my sample). There's also some volume change around 5.23 but it's minor.

As we do another transition there's a blip at 6.610 probably from me double-clicking on the new file to force the transition. There's some gradual volume dampening at 7.169 which may be heterodyning, I'm willing to ignore that. at 11.5 there is another audible pop as the transition ends.

http://www.artsmartempire.com/virtualdj/glitches.mp3

This one is a bit more serious. At 3.65s you can see an almost doubling in amplitude of the output for a tenth of a second. Immediately after that you can hear the intro of Moody Blues's "Nights in White Satin." At 22.95s as we finish our second transition there's a volume cut of about 50%, this time for nearly 0.2 seconds. The volume cut is choppy, causing pops at both ends. There's another pop at 23.3980 which I believe corresponds to the software grabbing another track and updating the display. Pop at 39.002 (end of transition), pop at 39.370 at end of transition. At 41.276 there is another drastic volume change from the beginning of a transition but this one is fairly smooth and doesn't cause any major pops. Immediately after this volume change and return to normal you hear the fade-in of Moody Blues's "Nights in White Satin" again.

For a less academic example, try

http://www.artsmartempire.com/virtualdj/volume_change.mp3

At about 3.1 seconds you can hear the ending song get louder for about 0.2 seconds at the beginning of the transition.

发表时间 Wed 17 Mar 10 @ 3:24 pm
Nice catch..
I've reported the same thing.

It seems to be happening because of VDJ's Automix using Autogain on a single deck..
if you used the "old" 'deck to deck' automix it doesnt have the same problem.

The primary problem is usually one of two things..
1.) the tracks your trying to "automix" have not been previously scanned (so no "pre gain has been set)
or
2.) the tracks have not been "nomalized" so the "autogain" has to move to much to bring the second track to 0 DB
(IE: it can't handle tracks that have wildly different volume levels)

There ARE a couple of work-arounds to help with the issue until it gets fixed..

发表时间 Thu 18 Mar 10 @ 12:24 am
P.S.
I just listened to your audio files you posted..

I'm not sure if all the "pops" can be attributed to the "autogain VS automix" issue..
some may be due to your system not being tweeked with their optimum settings.. IE: Safe mode VS Overclock VS Latency VS Master Tempo etc etc etc

basically "pops" can also be caused when the computer "glitches" from having settings higher then its actually capable of handling.

发表时间 Thu 18 Mar 10 @ 12:38 am
All of the songs were scanned (and had all been played shortly before making this example). It may or may not be Automix's fault, I'm just looking for specific instructions on how to stop it from happening.

发表时间 Thu 18 Mar 10 @ 4:09 pm
as a no licence user, your only option is to normalize all your music tracks.

发表时间 Thu 18 Mar 10 @ 5:11 pm
How does doing anything to my music files help anything? I've found what appears to be audio glitching problems with the software.

发表时间 Thu 18 Mar 10 @ 10:11 pm
mr. nn7 wrote :
How does doing anything to my music files help anything?

Did you read any of my posts? The problem is, your music file volume levels have not been normalized..
This is something MOST DJ's do anyways.. Most DJ's do it when they rip their music, but it can be done after the fact if needed.

Quote :
I've found what appears to be audio glitching problems with the software.

Your right.. but if your basing your purchase decision based on a minor "gain bug" with automix.. Then I would recommend you check out Mixmiester, or OTSAV (both software choices are built from the ground up to be a full time Automix) .

and yes.. I said minor bug..

1.) if your files were optimized from the start.. not a problem.
2.) If you don't use the autogain.. not a problem.
3.) if you dont use automix.. not a problem.
4.) it will probably be fixed in the future at some point.. BUT, since the majority of VDJ users dont USE automix, I'm assuming its not high on the priority list.
5.) registry can be hacked as a workaround, giving the autogain more room to manuever, (not a fix though)

发表时间 Fri 19 Mar 10 @ 11:12 am
Sorry if I ruffled a few feathers. I merely pointed out that I was having issues with the software and wanted some feedback. My order of operations up to this point has been to run a sanity checker through the mp3 files, trim silence from both ends, apply the replay gain calculation into the ID3 tag, and then to have Traktor stripe my files. Much of this stuff was ripped nearly a decade ago and the software I was using didn't normalize audio (or even tag the songs). The stuff I rip now I just don't bother normalizing, since the normalizers usually don't choose values as well as replaygain.

There was never any need to actually go in and modify my MP3s since the software did that for me. What you're confirming is that it is indeed a bug in VirtualDJ and you expect it to be fixed in a future version. That's really all I needed to know.

发表时间 Fri 19 Mar 10 @ 1:23 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)