快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: DO NOT BUY! Seagate 7200.4 500GB

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

On 12/27 i bought a Seagate 7200.4 internal 500GB hard drive for my Macbook Pro 17" 2.66 4GB. After researching the drive, there were mixed reviews about the performance and reliability. Since i work in the IT field, and am neurotic about doing checks and scans of my hardware, i figured i would have a better shot at making this drive work as it sould, without dying. The drive was almost phenomenal. Worked very fast, and the 16MB cache was an excellent upgrade from the factory 320GB drive.

Since about Monday (1/18) i noticed that my system was starting to slow don a little bit. Nothing noticeable for average use, but when in virtual dj, the performance slowed considerably. Songs were taking linger to load, and crashes were starting to happen more and more. I was lucky that it happened on a Monday instead of a Friday.

Yesterday (1/23), my system would not load any programs. It took about 6 minutes to load the OS. I ran a tool to check the hard drive, and there were a huge number of bad blocks, unrecoverable. My only option was to replace the hard drive.

Since i do constant backups with a sizable external hard drive, i just put the factory drive back in, and restored from the external. (which was pretty easy by the way)

Moral of the story is, do not but that hard drive, and always do constant backups with time machine. Anybody have a similar experience?

Also, i am in the market for a 500GB drive, that has a larger cache and wont die on me after 20 days. Any advice?

Thanks!

发表时间 Sun 24 Jan 10 @ 2:49 pm
AviryPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I have the same HD on my unibody macbook.
6 months and no problems at all.
and i do back up my stuff too.

发表时间 Mon 25 Jan 10 @ 12:56 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)