快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: Question for CSTOLL

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I was just wondering... the fact there there are several DJing software out there all trying to do the same thing... are the approaches to solve everyday djing problems so unique and proprietary, that the threat of copyright infringment limit how you go about solving a problem?

I think a good example is warping.
Ableton has a near intuitive way of warping a song in order for a song to be metronomically correct (or as best one can get it) and their method is using a mouse to do this.

the newest version of Synchroscience from M-Audio, you click on the anchor icon, the wave display turns blue, you click on an anchor point, and then you move the jog wheel to set the other anchor point, you click the anchor icon again and the points are set.

in virtual dj, you have to right click the BPM to get a pop up window and then click arrow keys to decide where to place the anchor point and then you repeat again.

It would be a lot easier if vdj could do any of these two combinations. But then it gets me thinking that maybe proprietary techniques for dealing (in this case warping) with the same problem be problematic because they are copyrighted?

just wondering.

发表时间 Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 10:57 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
It's not necessarily concerns over copyright infringements ... but the classic concept of doing it the way he/she did it ... and of all things in the DJ world even going back to the classic vinyl days ... you hear a mix then you go and repeat it identical to the way you heard it ... what happens ??? The old and long time label of 'poser' comes to mind ... :)

But back to your question about warping ... not familiar with the other programs ;) .. but what you described in VirtualDJ and equate to 'warping' is actually labeled a 'Phase' and relates to our Computer Base Grid (CBG). The CBG allow for certain features of VirtualDJ to do it's magic - specifically our seamless looping, beatlock, and sync capabilities. But adjusting the Phase points or CBG that the best defines the song our software magic is possible.

Now if this is warping is truly the process of making something metronomic-ally correct then your comparison is correct.

And you are not limited in VirtualDJ to only use the phase arrows in the BPM dialog ... those same options can be put on a skin for easier access - there are some out there ... and the actions can also be assigned to keyboard keys and even controllers with the new VDJScript in V6.

发表时间 Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 11:31 pm
Thanks for the answer.

The flexibility of VDJScript offers a lot of flexibility. Very powerful indeed!

发表时间 Sun 23 Aug 09 @ 12:46 am
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Not sure if you realize how simple it is now to set anchors live or stopped now.

If you just click ONCE on the bpm button on the deck it will reposition the anchor perfectly.
It seems to find the peak, so you don't even have to be that close with the strike of the key.

发表时间 Sun 23 Aug 09 @ 4:59 am
I've been doing that already.
What I was wondering is that some songs have this organic variation to their beats. A beatgrid is precise. So what you start noticing is that after a while the beat is no longer aligned with the beat grid. I get the impression that people confuse that with drift, but in actuality the song was just recorded that way.

Ableton has been good with the software where you actually manipulate the beatgrid to align it to the beat. You find a position and you anchor at that spot... move foward and look for misalignment again and you repeat the proces. When the song is played back, there will be micro adjustments of the music to play it metronomically (if that's the word) correct. In Ableton, its called warping. Cstoll indicated phase shift.

but like I said before, It would be nice if VDJ could do it that way, but then I thought.. maybe Ableton has a monopoly on this technique and then everyone else has to figure out a new way of doing the same thing to avoid some sort of copyright infringment.

发表时间 Wed 26 Aug 09 @ 9:36 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)