快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: Laptop?

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

aeonkHome userMember since 2009
Im only just kicking off my dj career and because of my age and lack of money equipment is very slim. I have a decent desktop computer and was wondering if that would be suitable to use for gigs? Is the main reason for laptops just there easier and more conveniant?

发表时间 Fri 13 Mar 09 @ 8:22 am
Yeah, although there's not too much difference performance ways between a laptop and a desktop. I am asking my club if they will do a permanent instalkl of a desktop as it would save having to set up every week.

发表时间 Fri 13 Mar 09 @ 11:19 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I have a really nice laptop, it has Vista with Direct X 10 which I though was suppoed to be allot better for VDJ. I find I get cleaner sound out of my dedicated XP desktop. So that is what I use, I think you will be quite happy with it. I just keep the laptop there incase my desktop stops working and I need to get the show up and running quickly.

Also as I mentioned it is dedicated. Nothing but XP SP3, VDJ and Itunes are on an 80 gig drive and then I have a second 500 gig drive for all the music. All recomended settings for best performance in VDJ are set. It would be a waste (in my eyes) to never use a laptop for any other task. Plus parts are cheap and easily obtainable for desktops, so cost of running and fixing are low. It is really my machine of choice.

Good luck, I am just starting out myself. My budget is a bit bigger but I am after reliability. This is really were the desktop shines. I want to set up RAID configuration. That way if I loose the OS drive it just starts reading off the other one and my desktop is not down for the night. You can but really should not use the software RAID built into XP as you will use your main processor to do all the work. A decent hardware RAID card is about $250 on newegg and will be a much better choice. I am also going to put a second storage drive in there in case that 500 gig gives out or do external SATA set up. Hope you or anybody can benefit from these ideas, they cam from my IT guy at work. But try all that with a laptop (I know it may be possible but it is easier and cheaper on a desktop). Take care

发表时间 Fri 13 Mar 09 @ 11:23 am
I've been DJing from laptops since 1999 and never had a hard drive go down on me. I suppose raided arrays are cool if you're anal about something going wrong, but the likelihood of an HDD going down is pretty slim.

发表时间 Fri 13 Mar 09 @ 1:11 pm
aeonkHome userMember since 2009
Oh ok, thanks for all the help. I think i will just stick to my desktop until my djing gets a bit more serious and professional :P.

发表时间 Fri 13 Mar 09 @ 6:16 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
kradcliffe wrote :
I suppose raided arrays are cool if you're anal about something going wrong, but the likelihood of an HDD going down is pretty slim.

Yea, I am anal gear slut!

VDJ crashed on me the other night though. Kind of nervous about that! I was playing a song on deck 2, hit back spin. Then started deck 1 and faded over. As soon as I hit play on deck 1 I just got a stuttery sound out of the speakers. I had to kill VDJ in task manager and restart it, not the OS. I could not duplicate this after though with the same songs. Both tunes were legally bought through iTunes, not saying much but many have blamed corrupt, illegally downloaded mp3s as the source of a VDJ lock up. I was just stating that was not the case here.

And I know RAID will not prevent that lock up. It will only help if I lost the OS hard drive and needed to get windows running again (the RMX controler is useless without the PC). I have 2 - 512 meg ram sticks, XP pro SP3, other than that only iTunes and VDJ loaded, that is it. All recomended settings (by this site) to help performance have been set. I have 2 - 1 gig ram sticks on the way. $22 total is nothing compard to the $ into the controller and VDJ. Plus if that happens on a gig, you know the customer is going to want money back. So again $22 is nothing if it even helps once.

发表时间 Fri 13 Mar 09 @ 9:25 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)