快速登录:  

Forum: Old versions

话题: Question about equal loudness

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Hello everybody,

I have a question about different sound volumes between different songs. To explain my question, I first have to present you two songs:

This is a song called 'Death and Destruction', from an artist called 'Kalen'. It comes from a free internet label called 'ignored records'.

And here is a song made by me (a trancey song)

From looking at the pictures and statistics, it's clear that both songs are equally loud, my song is even a bit louder.

I played the two songs with virtual dj, equally loud (level at maximum, gain at -5 for some headroom for mastering the mix), and when I analyze the minimix, I get this picture.

Although the two songs are equal in loudness, and are palyed on the same volume, there is a big difference, while playing them in virtual dj. My song sounds very quiet in comparison with Kalen's song.

When I play both songs at the same loudness level in ableton (production software used for making my own song) they sound equally loud. I used a demo from traktor, and with that application, the two songs sound also equally loud.

So I have two questions:

1. Can somebody explain the difference in loudness? It only happens with virtual dj, not with ableton or traktor.
2. What can I do about it? I can disable automatic loudness in the settings, but how can I determine how loud my song has to be played? Do I have to analyze loudness before starting a set? How do you handle different gain settings?

People who think my song is overcompressed; I used only in mastering stage a bit of multiband compression, and I limited it with the maximum peak at -6 dB, which is perfectly normal nowadays.

Any comment or help is welcome!! I appreciate it!

Greetz,
manducator

发表时间 Sun 23 Nov 08 @ 2:43 pm
Oops, something went wrong, and I posted my question 6 times. It was not my intention to spam this board.

I'm sorry, guys...

发表时间 Sun 23 Nov 08 @ 2:53 pm
xonorPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Go to config, and in options, select autogain at OFF.

This option set the gain of each song you play overiding the gain you set.

发表时间 Sun 23 Nov 08 @ 3:00 pm
I know, xonor, but do you also have advice on how to determine the loudness by hand? It's difficult to compare in your headphones.

Greetz,
manducator

发表时间 Sun 23 Nov 08 @ 3:04 pm
xonorPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Yes, it's difficult, but the practice it's great and your ears too.

I always use autogain, and normaly i don't have to touch volume in many songs.

发表时间 Sun 23 Nov 08 @ 4:06 pm
on your music recording program, do you have an option to normalize the track? this will level your peaks and amplify the quiet parts. some times this affects the quality though. it is much easier using an external mixer when mixing as you are able to visually see the lights and can adjust the gains to level things out.

发表时间 Sun 23 Nov 08 @ 7:51 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The problem is that VDj doesnt not analyze loudness properly. It scans
the whole song (which is ok), but then applies some kind of RMS value
which is an avarage of WHOLE song. Which is incorrect, as when the
songs that have more quiet parts in between the loud choruses have
lower avarage value, and are recognized as quieter. What we want is
choruses (loudest parts) to be of equal loudness. In your case, by
compressing your song heavily, the RMS is around -10, so VDJ recognised
it as significantly louder, thus lowering the volume too much with auto gain.

Another tip: Don't compress your tracks too much, even though we
'like' loudness, having some dynamics sounds much better than a flat
recording.

发表时间 Mon 24 Nov 08 @ 1:38 am

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)