快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Best Practices for VDJ and Live Streaming and Recording - Page: 1
Hi All,

I bought a Pioneer DDJ400 and started to stream on Twitch this week. I used RekordBox for the first stream, but was unable to get to properly record my mic and controller, so I had to use OBS and then split the audio from the MP4 that was created.

What my goal is, is to be able to record my mic and the music from the DDJ400 inside of VDJ for export to MixCloud. I played around a bit with it tonight and got it to work somewhat, but the mic audio was a little flanged in my headphone even with no effects. There was no latency issue, it just sounded like a signal with a flange.

Here is my current configuration

Pioneer DDJ400 USB out into my streaming PC.
RCA out from DDJ400 to line in on streaming PC (Probably not necessary)
Electrovoice RE20 into a Cloud Lifter (Clean signal boost) into a FocusRite Scarlett Solo 3rd Gen via XLR and output USB to streaming PC.

The great thing is that VDJ auto detects both my Pioneer controller as well as the Focusrite interface as shown in the photo.

I just ordered an RCA to 1/4" cable and thought it might be best to route the DDJ400 through the instrument jack on the Focusrite to simplify the connection to VDJ.

I'm not doing a typical club DJ type of set. I'm a radio guy, so I will be speaking at regular intervals so I would like the quality to be good. Is VDJ well suited for this, and if so, would it be better to the new option, or am I missing something in the settings that is causing the flange sound in the mic?

Any information would be helpful. I did some searching and looked for videos that may explain the best way to set things up, but I really didn't find anything.

TIA

发表时间 Wed 04 Aug 21 @ 6:05 am
The flange is probably due to your duplicating the signal from the DDJ-400 (USB and RCA).

Using VDJ there's no need for OBS. You can stream directly, which is what I do (also to Twitch).

发表时间 Wed 04 Aug 21 @ 6:13 pm
groovindj wrote :
The flange is probably due to your duplicating the signal from the DDJ-400 (USB and RCA).

Using VDJ there's no need for OBS. You can stream directly, which is what I do (also to Twitch).

Thanks for the reply. I need OBS because I'm using some other tools with it. I will try removing the RCA cables from the mix to see if that has any effect.

发表时间 Wed 04 Aug 21 @ 8:04 pm
groovindj wrote :

I discovered the flange was due to live monitoring at the same time from the FocusRite. I still can't get both my Mic and DDJ400 to go to OBS like I could with RekordBox, but I am pretty confident that with the RCA to 1/4" cable I can just pass everything through using the FocusRite and it will hopefully work.

发表时间 Thu 05 Aug 21 @ 5:11 am
It would be cool if you could list each tool you use in OBS that VDJ can't do
I don't doubt some exist (like maybe ways of integrating with stream elements for Twitch)

But each time one of these things can be done in VDJ - either in another way or actually something new build for VDJ by the devs or a user - there will be more people not needing to use the very much added complexity of a second software (and sometimes a second laptop), second sound card, and the audio and video routing then needed

For instance the difference between me practicing at home and going live on twitch (including video, camera, shaders, text overlay, video skin overlay with track info and so on) is 1 click on the broadcast button - so it's incredibly simple to live stream for me

发表时间 Thu 05 Aug 21 @ 6:56 am
When I stream it is direct to twitch within vdj my mic audio is a sure c606 into a gear4 lucky voice and it is pluged into the line in on the pc works a treat and vdj does not know it is there the way I have set in vdj is mic and the setting is high definition device ( WASPI ) and I do not use all the fancy stuff just the stuff in vdj at the end of the day viewers have gone to your channel to see you and not a load of fancy stuff all over the screen and a small square at the top with your face in it chatting away. I use two cameras one on the controller the other one is an over or side view.

发表时间 Thu 05 Aug 21 @ 1:20 pm
klausmogensen wrote :
It would be cool if you could list each tool you use in OBS that VDJ can't do
I don't doubt some exist (like maybe ways of integrating with stream elements for Twitch)

But each time one of these things can be done in VDJ - either in another way or actually something new build for VDJ by the devs or a user - there will be more people not needing to use the very much added complexity of a second software (and sometimes a second laptop), second sound card, and the audio and video routing then needed

For instance the difference between me practicing at home and going live on twitch (including video, camera, shaders, text overlay, video skin overlay with track info and so on) is 1 click on the broadcast button - so it's incredibly simple to live stream for me

The key ones for me are the following:

1. Multiple scene changes, (starting soon, live broadcast and thanks for watching) all controlled through Stream deck.
2. Stream overly with branding
3. Playing random videos in a folder using VLC.
4. Instant or nearly instant song information sent to screen in a specific overlay on screen with custom css.

If all of this can be done with just VDJ, I am complete open to it.

发表时间 Thu 05 Aug 21 @ 1:26 pm
Yes, all of that can be done with VDJ. In fact it's what I (and probably others here) do on a regular basis.

The VDJ sampler comes in useful for things like a logo or 'starting soon' screen. The text plugin can overlay multiple static or moving text messages such as 'back soon' or 'welcome raiders' etc.

Random videos or stills can be done with the VDJ slideshow.

Song info can be done with a videoskin (several 'song info' ones available for downoad).

Of course there are some things VDJ can't do, and for that I feed Resolume into VDJ.

发表时间 Thu 05 Aug 21 @ 5:15 pm
groovindj wrote :
Yes, all of that can be done with VDJ. In fact it's what I (and probably others here) do on a regular basis.

The VDJ sampler comes in useful for things like a logo or 'starting soon' screen. The text plugin can overlay multiple static or moving text messages such as 'back soon' or 'welcome raiders' etc.

Random videos or stills can be done with the VDJ slideshow.

Song info can be done with a videoskin (several 'song info' ones available for downoad).

Of course there are some things VDJ can't do, and for that I feed Resolume into VDJ.

Well that sounds great. I am not expecting you to do this for me, but can you tell me where to search for these things? Are they under extensions? Any links to the actual items you're referring to will help me a great deal to implement them. Any way I can simplify my workflow and reduce the need for additional. software sounds like a great idea to me.

Thanks!

发表时间 Thu 05 Aug 21 @ 8:09 pm
On the skin you will see audio video scratch and master if you click on to video you will see source click on the arrow and you see options there and next to that you will see video fx again click on the arrow to see options someone will correct me if I am wrong hope it helps.

发表时间 Thu 05 Aug 21 @ 8:37 pm
I for got to mention the event scheduler that is found next to clock on the default skin that might be use full to you.

发表时间 Thu 05 Aug 21 @ 8:55 pm

发表时间 Thu 05 Aug 21 @ 9:49 pm
wickedmix wrote :
@SlugRadio
you can find how to use most of that stuff here -> https://www.youtube.com/c/virtualdjofficial/videos

i believe all of the stuff mentioned is built in or can be installed from extension under options

Excellent! I'll take a look. Thank you!

发表时间 Thu 05 Aug 21 @ 10:26 pm
SlugRadio wrote :
groovindj wrote :

I discovered the flange was due to live monitoring at the same time from the FocusRite. I still can't get both my Mic and DDJ400 to go to OBS like I could with RekordBox, but I am pretty confident that with the RCA to 1/4" cable I can just pass everything through using the FocusRite and it will hopefully work.

This unfortunately didn't work. it appears that VDJ just can't properly route the sound like RekordBox can. That's unfortunate because there were a few features that I wanted to use in VDJ.

发表时间 Sat 07 Aug 21 @ 6:23 am
Are you still trying to route VDJ into OBS?

Just use VDJ. The way you have you audio set up (according to the earlier pic) there should be no issues recording music and mic.

发表时间 Sat 07 Aug 21 @ 6:36 am
groovindj wrote :
Are you still trying to route VDJ into OBS?

Just use VDJ. The way you have you audio set up (according to the earlier pic) there should be no issues recording music and mic.

If you could show me any kind of tutorial that shows a Twitch stream where the DJ has a Starting Soon, Stream Overlay while DJ'ing, videos playing behind the overlay, song titles where the placement and appearance is customizable and an ending stream scene all that can be controlled using a Stream deck, I would be happy to do it, but I've gone through every video I can find and everything expects that you either already know how to do all this, or doesn't provide any demos of how it all works.

The only advantage VDJ has for me over RekordBox at the moment is that there is a third party tool that requires either Serato or VDJ to work and that if I record VDJ it writes a cue file making it easy to upload timestamped sets into MixCloud. Otherwise RekordBox with the NowPlaying App, VLC and OBS do what I need. The only downsides is there is a 1 minute delay on song titles updating and I have to manually add the song times into MixCloud.

I am open to trying to make this work if there is some tutorial out there that walks through this scenario. I just haven't found it yet.

发表时间 Sat 07 Aug 21 @ 7:28 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Not sure what the stream deck sends out, but looks like it's at least possible to use it as a midi controller using some plugin, so in that case you can map the buttons to anything you want in VirtualDJ.

Depending on your needs, for starting soon/ending stream you could either create a fixed image (can be transparent png too) and load it in the sampler, then map some keys to start/stop that sample.
Another way if you also still want to combine it with video out/titles on-screen etc is to use a couple of different video skins for each part of the show.
Just check out the video skins that can be downloaded through extensions, and then use 'edit' to extract them to xml's in which you can adjust placement of the elements or remove elements as needed.
You can again use midi mappings to switch video skins through your stream deck/keyboard or other midi controller.

As mentioned earlier, the slideshow plugin is capable of playing videos too, so that can be used to replace VLC for background videos.

发表时间 Sat 07 Aug 21 @ 7:48 am
@slugradio Why do you need a stream deck as it is a handheld gaming device for playing and streaming games and as far as can see you will wasting at least $400 and can't see why a radio dj would need that.

发表时间 Sat 07 Aug 21 @ 11:55 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
DJ Skylite because he has one, and it is an common choice for streamers.
It's just a input device.

发表时间 Sun 08 Aug 21 @ 1:11 am
locodog wrote :
DJ Skylite because he has one, and it is an common choice for streamers.
It's just a input device.

I've spent most of this thread being told to stop using the tools I use and to just do it all in VDJ. Almost none of it was helpful and a lot was insulting if I'm being honest. Going to request a refund as it doesn't work with my hardware.

发表时间 Sun 08 Aug 21 @ 7:03 am
83%