快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: What Criteria Sorts music from windows 10 files to Virtual DJ Exactly the same order?
What Criteria Sorts music from windows 10 files to Virtual DJ Exactly the same order?
If I use Filename, name etc they always seem to be in different orders because windows file explorer and virtual DJ have different priorities to _ & - (underscores and hyphens) so they never seem to be in exactly the same orders in their respective files or programs which is making things more difficult and time consuming when sorting through new music! Are there two criteria's I can order both the folder and the folder within virtual DJ that will exactly match up? I hope I have explained myself sufficiently but if not please feel free to ask me for more detail or information. Thanks in advance.

发表时间 Sat 10 Apr 21 @ 10:01 pm
Why you want to sort in that order? Perhaps explaining what you want, makes it easier to understand.. .
As DJs you would usually sort by BPM, search by title, artist etc..

Or build playlists (where order can matter), to reset a sort (for example if sorted by bpm) simply click the column header and choose reset sort order

发表时间 Sat 10 Apr 21 @ 10:36 pm
its when i am sorting through a folder of new music, often the files will start 01,02 etc and have hyphens or underscores after the numbers before the track name but virtual DJ orders them differently to the folder. I have tried sorting both the folder and in virtual DJ by title, filename but they are never in the exact same order virtual DJ seems to give different priorities to hyphens and underscores so it can be annoying and time consuming.

发表时间 Sun 11 Apr 21 @ 4:02 am
You do know that you can change the file names?

The best option is to use the standard Artist - Title layout. Eliminate things like numbers and underscores.

发表时间 Sun 11 Apr 21 @ 7:09 am
Yateseyuk wrote :
its when i am sorting through a folder of new music, often the files will start 01,02 etc and have hyphens or underscores after the numbers before the track name

it can be annoying and time consuming.

Cleaning up songs is a bit time consuming but definitively worth it ;-)
Should just remove the clutter in front of those files, a one time thing ...

发表时间 Sun 11 Apr 21 @ 10:42 am
Just FYI, Windows are using what's called "natural" sorting, while most apps (including VirtualDJ) are using what's called "strict" sorting

To give you an example,
Windows will sort like this:

However most programs will sort like this:

The first approach feels more natural to humans but technically speaking is not correct
The second approach is technically correct (even by grammar/syntax terms) but doesn't feel natural because your mind interpets the "text" as numbers and wants to sort them by a "smaller to bigger number" rule.

发表时间 Mon 12 Apr 21 @ 7:21 am
NicotuxHome userMember since 2014
you forget the more inconsistant :
OS will sort using OS locale conventions ... and own bugs (time bug in vista and early win10)
VDJ and most other apps will sort using
- "order" file or OS convention with OS functions,
- locale convention in some places
- en_US conventions in other
- reverse order in other places

and filesystem case in/sensitive can alter sort order of all as well as encoding
.... and even pre/post localization with OS virtual libraries

发表时间 Mon 12 Apr 21 @ 7:38 am
LOL.
I was trying to give the user an overall idea of why sorting is different, not a full technical spec sheet. :)

发表时间 Mon 12 Apr 21 @ 8:17 am
I understand that they are being sorted differently that's my issue. My question is is there a sort criteria for both windows and VDJ that will order them exactly the same? Thank you.

发表时间 Sat 15 May 21 @ 10:28 pm