快速登录:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

话题: Why is VDJ Keys VERY different from Mixed In Key? - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

I started creating filter folders for key. And for example, 07A listed all songs with key 07A. However, something didn't seem right. And when I checked in Rekordbox OR elected the option "use key from tag" almost none of them were 07A???

Uh, what? Why is this happening? This is feels quite awkward having discovered such a discrepancy in key between rekordbox and mixed in key.

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 7:34 am
Which version of VDJ are you using?

If VDJ 8, what key detection option do you have selected?

Why does a discrepancy between Rekordbox and MIK matter, if you're using VDJ?

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 7:49 am
It matters because:
1) Songs I would normally play together are not being presented as songs that are in key with one another (e.g. in rekordbox two songs are 4 and 5 but in VDJ they may be 3 and 7).
2) I have been using Rekordbox and Mixed in Key for years and they are rarely different from one another. Also, it seems Serato Pro is also the same as Rekordbox and Mixed in Key. So what makes VDJ so different?
3) I only use VDJ 8 at home, and will continue to play shows with USBs in CDJs.

And key detection is set to electronic.
v8.5 b6017

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 8:03 am
There's your problem. Set it to 'broad range'.

The 'electronic' setting is biased towards minor keys. This is because:
1) VDJ 7 used to be like that
2) EDM is always in minor keys (not necessarily true but assumed by many)

If you always use MIK anyway, set VDJ to get the key from the tags.

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 8:08 am
Set it to broad even though my entire library is ONLY techno and house music?

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 8:09 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Yes, the setting is only there for compatibility with vdj 7.
Unless all your music is in minor key, broad range is preferred.

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 8:10 am
Weird. I set it to broad and then tried two songs with "analyze for bpm, etc" and got the same results as using electronic.

Silent Moment - Dionigi: VDJ-06B, MIK/RB- 09A
Spaceman - Adam Beyer: VDJ-10B, MIK/RB-01A

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 8:14 am
And yeah, thank you for the option to use key from tag. this will be what I use so my library and options stay the same as im use to with my pioneer system

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 8:16 am
What is going on with your app? I decided to double check some songs...

Together (Reset Robot Remix) - Maximiljan
The key in the comment is 9A - 6
VDJ key is 04A

When I select "use key from tag" VDJ used the key 05A???? 45 instances in my 05A folder to be exact.

I really feel like I can't trust VDJ. The key thing feels really unpredictable. Any ideas?

This behavior is actually happening to many songs. When I put the Comment column next to Key, I can easily see the differences. Why is VDJ changing the key from what is in the comment?

After checking Serato - this seems to be happening with Serato as well. It too is converting the same comments into 05A. I'm so confused.

Rekordbox is retaining the same key/tag.

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 8:38 am
The trouble with music like that (I just listened to it) is - there is very little musical content.

It's mainly just a dirty bass drum and percussion, with a few notes here and there. Very hard for key detection to work out which key it should be.

The fewer musical notes there are, the more key groups it would/could fit into.

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 8:50 am
Sure, that's a reason for why its possible one algorithm may tag it one way while another tags it another but it doesn't explain why one app transforms the comment key into a different key.

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 8:58 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
When you use getKeyFromTag, VDJ uses the key from the file's key tag, not from the comment tag.
Perhaps your file's key tag is different from what you have put in the comment tag?

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 9:12 am
MIK has these options:

You need to write the key to the initialkey tag, not the comments.

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 9:23 am
I dunno. When I get song info in Mixed In Key
Key: 8A
Tag Comment: 8A

Then when I looked at what VDJ converts it to: 06A

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 9:27 am
Why are you letting VDJ convert it if you prefer MIK?

Write the keys (not to comments) using MIK, then set VDJ to get the key from the tags.

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 10:19 am
is there a tutorial on this? I tried the "use key from tag" but it's not the same key as MIK for some reason. this is part of my confusion. for example, right now im looking at songs in my folder 6 - and MIK comments are 6 (in MIK the key is also 6) and VDJ key is 6 or 5 or 2 etc... its not actually the same. would LOVE to know how to fix this

I'm going to try reanalyzing my entire library in MIK. then checking out VDJ. maybe because some songs were keyed with older versions of MIK there are issues.

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 8:58 pm
Well, this seemed to work.

I reanalyzed my library and reloaded the tags.

Thanks for your patience and help :)

发表时间 Wed 22 Jul 20 @ 9:52 pm
Hi,

Because MIK write the key in :

"INITIALKEY"
And VIRTUALDJ read in "KEY" TAG, not "INITIALKEY" tag used by most other DJ software, with the option useKeyFromTag option.

example with MEDIAINFO software :

Adion :
It would be nice to have in option, the choice :

useKeyFromTag from "INITIALKEY" Tag
or
useKeyFromTag from "KEY" Tag

In Rekordbox when you choose the option to write the Key on ID3 TAG, it write the KEY on "INITIALKEY" not "KEY"

Regards,

Olivier

发表时间 Mon 27 Jul 20 @ 9:06 pm
user22381562 wrote :
I dunno. When I get song info in Mixed In Key
Key: 8A
Tag Comment: 8A

Then when I looked at what VDJ converts it to: 06A

Sounds like you trying to promote Mixed in Key. What kind of CPU do you have etc, what is your work Flow
VDJ does an excellent job on the correct key bpm. Mixed key and the other separate software all vary a lot, I have talked to my people that use just about any of those key programs they are not 100% . Love VDJ they give you the Key options and the number version---- A key. just like the famous wheel for using A# to mix with Fm ,etc Just saying be happy any of them get a close as they do and be happy about.

发表时间 Mon 03 Aug 20 @ 7:33 pm
I can't tell the difference between A, B, W, or blue key. I made up my mind to use one software, and have zero confusion. I don't know if my keys are the same as some other software, or if they are right or wrong. If they are wrong, they are all wrong, which makes them the same. If they are right, they are all right, which makes them the same. The last time someone came up to me and said "Hey Rick, that last song you mixed was out of key". I remember, NEVER.

发表时间 Tue 04 Aug 20 @ 6:31 am
69%