快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: HDMI vs DVI vs VGA vs S-Video vs Component vs RCA

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi all,

Found some info I've been looking for myself which I thought would be useful to others. Thanks to Adam Holler for the info...(whoever he is).

Number ranking below of preference. 1 being the best.

1) HDMI/DVI (same exact quality)
Both of these connections are identical except that HDMI supports audio. DVI is rectangular and has lots of pins, HDMI is small and trapezoidal. They're literally same. Digital data (basically .BMPs) are carried to your display where they are converted to analog. Literally 0 signal degredation.

2) VGA
Typically uses 5 signal leads. This is the analog connection for monitors. One holds the red data, one the green, one the blue and the other two hold synchronization data in analog format. Is digitized by some types of displays and not by others.

3) Component
Typically uses 3 signal leads. This looks like a red, green, and blue-colored version of composite. One holds the luminance (total brightness) and a synch, one holds the (red - luminance) data, and one holds the (blue - luminance.) The display uses simple math to determine the missing luminance (which is necessary green data,) and convert the image into RGB (which is what VGA already has.) Note that this only has 1 synch while VGA has 2.

4) S-Video (Y/C)
Typically uses 2 signal leads. S-Video, S-VHS, Y/C, whatever you call it. This is the strange connection a circular head and pins. The highly underrated signal carrier. Uses two leads. One holds the luminance (total brightness,) and the other holds both the (red - luminance) and the (blue - luminance.) I can't remember which line holds the synch, but it doesn't really matter. Y/C is the first on this list which cannot support resolutions other than standard definition (480i/576i.)

5) Composite
Typically uses 1 signal lead. The most common connection for standard definition video. This is the one yellow wire you always get. This carries the luminance (overall brightness,) sync pulses, and color all in one cable. Really terrible, in my opinion.

6) R/F
Typically uses 1 signal lead. Channel 3 or channel 4? This is the sharp, old-school connection your NES probably used and the one you probably still use (though typically in digital mode) for your TV connection assuming you don't have satellite. This smushes sound, luminance, and color information all into one cable and frankly looks absolutely horrible especially since the modulators in the little MadCatz or Pelican R/F adaptors are worthless.

发表时间 Mon 17 Dec 07 @ 8:04 pm
very helpful info thanks on the differences :-)

发表时间 Mon 17 Dec 07 @ 8:51 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

Yeah thanks l_rids, really good info.

Jimmy b

发表时间 Mon 17 Dec 07 @ 8:53 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Yup, it's a shame everywhere I work at still uses something like a Kramer VS-88V so will only accept composite feeds. All those LCDs and projectors fed from a signal that could be so much better :(

发表时间 Mon 17 Dec 07 @ 9:04 pm
I always use VGA where possible. VGA gives me the best performance on near and far distances. I had some projectors/beamers and LCD displays which where 65 meters away from my booth and 15 meters apart from each other. I had to use 6 of them and two screens near my booth.

Only VGA worked perfect. HDMI could not do the job.

I hear more people complaining about losing stability when HDMI has to reach to far..

发表时间 Wed 15 Feb 17 @ 8:58 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
That is why there are hdmi repeaters available :)

Depending on the quality and diameter of the used HDMI cable, you could say every 15 to 20 meters a repeater is needed.

发表时间 Wed 15 Feb 17 @ 11:32 am
I use 1 VGA repeater to have my signal 65 meters away trough UTP cable. Costs me 30 Euro..
Not want to talk about the HDMI costs...

I don't have any succesfull expereince with HDMI that's worth the money.

My problem in the future is that almost none of the tv's have VGA anymore.. It's all going to be HDMI or likewise... :(

发表时间 Wed 15 Feb 17 @ 11:38 am
Does the mini display port (commonly found on macs) send the same quality signal as HDMI?

发表时间 Wed 15 Feb 17 @ 2:04 pm
There are some subtle differences between them, but basically yes. display port 1.3 supports up to 8k resolution, including 3d etc. You can also do multiple screen outputs on one cable with display port. My Windows machine has display port, as well as HDMI and is becoming quite standard on windows as well now, just not at the budget end. But will eventually and I would imagine HDMI will become defunct in the next few years.

发表时间 Wed 15 Feb 17 @ 2:13 pm
Good to know, thanks for that info!

发表时间 Wed 15 Feb 17 @ 2:40 pm

发表时间 Wed 15 Feb 17 @ 3:51 pm
Opening a 10 year old thread to tell us things change fast? Why not start a new thread?

发表时间 Wed 15 Feb 17 @ 4:08 pm
I didn't reopen the 10 year old thread, that happened 14 hours ago. I just updated some information since it had been revisited.
But thanks. For what I don't know.

发表时间 Wed 15 Feb 17 @ 4:49 pm
TDBennett wrote :
that happened 14 hours ago

Looks like spam/advertising too.

发表时间 Wed 15 Feb 17 @ 6:52 pm
Bare in mind most digital signals will give you a degree if delay due I\O conversions.. HDMI, DVI etc.

This varies between devices depending on the converters.

发表时间 Fri 17 Feb 17 @ 7:36 am
Most everything has some sort of delay compensation so I don't think it really matters anymore, my opinion.

发表时间 Fri 17 Feb 17 @ 6:28 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)