快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Files on network drive and USB stick - keep file info sync/updated

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Hi folk,

I was wondering...how do you manage your files?
I am not talking about the folder structure.

I have my files on a network HardDrive (I use the desktop computer to download the music, then I transfer it and organized it on the network HardDrive). New songs are added there.
I dj at home with the laptop, using the files directly from the network drive.
Then when I need to dj, I put them on a USB stick and I use the same laptop.

Which is the best way to keep the files always updated based on the last time they are used?
Because when I use them on the USB pendrive, it happens set new cuepoints, or set new BPM, or whatever. Information that goes into the VDJ database I think?
Should I copy back the files from the USB pendrive every time I dj?

What if I would like to dj also with the desktop PC? It would be another VDJ database added to the equation I guess...

I also add that I use filter folders, and I put tags in some fields of the files (comment, grouping,...).

I hope I have been kind of clear, because I am not even sure how to explain it...!! :)

Thank you!!

发表时间 Mon 02 Dec 19 @ 2:32 pm
Edited:

Hi folk,

I was wondering...how do you manage your files?
I am not talking about the folder structure.

I have my files on a network HardDrive (I use the desktop computer to download the music, then I transfer it and organized it on the network HardDrive). New songs are added there.
I dj at home with the laptop, using the files directly from the network drive.
Then when I need to, I put them on a USB stick and I use the same laptop (djing a party for exemple).

Which is the best way to keep the files AND the Vdj database always updated based on the last time they are used?

Because when I use the USB pendrive, it happens I set new cuepoints, or set new BPM, or whatever. Information that goes into the VDJ database I think? But in case I edit the name of a tag or a song title, the information is in the file.

What if I would like to dj also with the desktop PC? It would be another VDJ database added to the equation I guess...

I also use filter folders, and I put tags in some fields of the files (comment, grouping,...).

Should I copy the files AND the Vdj database (based on the last use of them) every time I use a different computer in order to always have everything updated and the same?

I hope I have been kind of clear, because I am not even sure how to explain it...!! :)

Thank you!!

发表时间 Tue 03 Dec 19 @ 9:16 am
all on an external drive backed up to several other external drives :-)

发表时间 Tue 03 Dec 19 @ 11:20 am
You can also change the VDJ home folder to any drive, so you could for example have all your music on one portable SSD and just use it on each machine with all the music and VDJ files permanently on it.

I have done this for a while now.

Synchredible is good for backing up and syncing changes between drives and machines

发表时间 Tue 03 Dec 19 @ 11:28 am
kradcliffe wrote :
You can also change the VDJ home folder to any drive, so you could for example have all your music on one portable SSD and just use it on each machine with all the music and VDJ files permanently on it.

I have done this for a while now.

Synchredible is good for backing up and syncing changes between drives and machines

Hi Kradcliffe, sorry for this late reply, but I dropped the thing back then, and now I am back on it :)

So, I read I can move the VDJ home folder to any drive.
But what do you mean by "VDJ home folder" precisely?

I installed VDJ in C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDJ. Here I only find the .exe file with "virtualdj8.visualelementsmanifest", "D3DCompiler_43.dll" and "D3DX9_43.dll". Except from the exe file, all the others are "last modified" in 2014 (shall I delete them?).

But a database with a lot of other folders and files are in C:\Users\skatercorpse\Documents\VirtualDJ (this might be the VDJ home folder you are talking about).

How could I proceed?
What I am thinking at the moment, is that I could copy the "C:\Users\skatercorpse\Documents\VirtualDJ" folder to the NAS.
Then I could have the same on the laptop and the desktop PC.
Use a software to keep them synced.
Have VJD executable file on laptop and desktop PC.

At the same time, copy the music folder (with the tracks) from the NAS to the laptop and the desktop PC, and keep these folders in sync with a software as well.

Might this work?

SUMMARY
NAS: VDJ home folder, music folder with tracks
Laptop: VDJ executable, VDJ home folder, music folder with tracks
Desktop: VDJ executable, VDJ home folder, music folder with tracks
Except of the VDJ executable files, everything is synced with a software.

Edit: if someone else would like to do something similar, I am now reading some useful links, trying to sorting out the best working solution:
https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/VirtualDJ8_Backup%20Database_.html
https://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/How%20to%20Transfer%20To%20A%20New%20Computer.html

发表时间 Thu 02 Jul 20 @ 3:49 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)