快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: New Laptop - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Ok so my MacBook is a 2012 retina and my Windows machine is an 2011 Asus.

Both machines run VDJ well and really only the Windows machine will drop FPS if I’m doing live camera feeds and a ton of visuals on screen.

Anyways I’m gonna get a new machine (not sure if I’m going Windows or Mac) and I’ve been looking at a few.

I’ve even played with the idea of building a mini PC.

But I’ve recently stumbled across this badass machine and it checks all boxes for me

https://m.newegg.com/products/34-154-900

So I wanna know what all you “Power” users are running with??

Please post make and model and specs if possible.

Thanks for the time and info.

发表时间 Tue 05 Feb 19 @ 9:26 pm
I was looking for a new laptop , and the MSI would be my choice too .

发表时间 Tue 05 Feb 19 @ 10:17 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I find most of the new laptops useless. For one they don't have a DVD drive which I can replace with a 2TB hdd and two often they have too few USB ports. Who needs flashing lights on a keyboard? I'm using an older second hand fast Asus i7 3rd gen quad core with onboard graphic and it does well (it cost around $200 !).

Most of the time all we need is simple graphics since monitor real estate is limited. I have 10 x 50" screens which does not demand much graphics power. However I am eyeing a venue with a huge screen plus loads more support monitors that might permit intricate graphics.

I'm waiting for laptop friendly internal hdd drives with capacities in excess of 2Tb. Both my main laptops have 2Tb + 1Tb hdd's. I don't like external hdd's as they are too easy to lose and also steal. 3Tb is only just enough space for my video files at the moment.

发表时间 Tue 05 Feb 19 @ 11:09 pm
Like I said Ron, "POWER" users........ I don't really think of you as a "POWER" user.

Try doing this with your laptop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zB5-n9IeG0&t=6s

If your laptop can do this and your able to record it all Ill take your opinions into consideration, until then theres no need for any of your input here........

Post the video when your done........

发表时间 Tue 05 Feb 19 @ 11:44 pm
I'd say my 10 by 50" large screen TV's is power enough, what are your applications? What screens are you using? Power user sounds a bit silly. Big muscles and maybe little brain. It's just getting people to spend money and then their expensive possesions are put at risk in a venue..and I've got bouncers to help.

On your two mobile 55" screens what your doing is overkill. It could be of use to a very few people on huge screens..but I can only think of one venue where Id like to do that, it looks cluttered and is stealing spacer from the important music videos.

More is often not better.
Try to keep it simple, to the point, and clean unless you have a screen the size of a very, very big wall.

How did you manage to change your username both here and on the Serato forums long ago? We have only recently been able to change our user names on this forum.

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 12:44 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
the SOUND INSURGENT wrote :
...not sure if I’m going Windows or Mac...
You know the answer lol
BTW, the MSI looks like a very good choice

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 1:20 am
@Ron,
Just as I thought. Your little weak ass laptop can’t handle it. So please just leave this thread. Nothing in this thread is of any concern to you or what it is you do. You are not on my level and probably never will be, so just quit posting, please, thanks and goodbye.....

@DjDad
Well if I want to use everything VDJ has to offer then I have to go with the Windows machine, lol!! But with the Mac I can use Mix Emergency with VDJ and have more, better looking fx’s, lol!! What are you using??

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 1:57 am
What level is that since your laptop is made in 2011? Hardly cutting edge. Yours makes my Asus (2015) look state of the art with my 3Tb of internal hdd capacity and its fast i7 quad core cpu. The quad core can handle multipe tasks easily.

Notes:
£60 will buy a 2Tb hdd drive to replace a DVD drive which is needed to internally store 1080p music video files. Music video is what a VDJ is about in most cases but not all as I see in this thread.
Beatbreaker why is your video low resolution? Youtube hosts 1080p resolutions.

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 4:36 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I built a rack mount a little while back for my live sound gigs. I'll use it for backing the band during breaks, adding video, backing tracks, after party, etc. I've also used desktops in the past. It works good for installs or my rack due to a KVM in the rack always hooked up. But, for mobile work, hooking up a monitor, keyboard, mouse every time is annoying. For that reason I would not do a mini PC if you do mobile work.

I've recently been booking gig's in dark environments. They have been smaller gigs that I have not set up my lighting rig for. I added LED lighting under my laptop tray so I could see my whole controller. I truly wish I had a backlit keyboard.

A second hard drive bay is also important to me. Luckily, there are good options for that. The more videos I get from my subscription, the smaller my HDD looks, lol.

There are quite a few events that I run multiple things on my video screen. These include scrolling text, live cameras, graphics when videos aren't playing, skype calls, chat windows, among other things. So, I completely understand and agree with you about looking for a robust computer. I, personally, will be looking at an MSI option.

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 5:07 am
The cpu benchmarks for the MSI are excellent. It does have an adaquate number of USB ports. It does not have a DVD drive which means an external drive will be needed since a 1Tb hdd is no good.

..but it is expensive and our security leave quickly, I'm almost the last leaving, anyway I make my way by myself to my car with a considerable amount of equipment in a major city center. I would not want to add this laptop.

A robust laptop does not equate to a gaming laptop. We still only run at 1080p resolution defined by our videos and display screens. My i7 has a cpu benchmark of almost 8000, while this MSI comes in at 1200. It's not that much better. Moore's law is fading away. I think it was WildCountry who pointed that fact out.

With respect to lighting..I lke to be clearly seen and I'm fond of a large shadow behind me highlighting my movement. An illuminated keyboard is OK but it is not needed in my case since this lighting also lights my mixer, decks, .. everything.

Laptop cost can set an entry barrier for new DJ's..I want to make it clear that you do not need to spend a small fortune to get good equipment.

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 7:22 am
It seems that the MSI can hold up to 3 drives actually:
https://www.msi.com/Laptop/GP63-Leopard-8RE/Specification

So, it has 2 slots for SSD's (M.2 type) and 1 slot for a regular 2.5' HDD
In other words, storage should not be an issue if you have the money... :P
(Let's say put 2x2TB M.2 SSD's and 1x4TB 2.5' SSD = 8TB on SSD! =1300-1400 USD :P )

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 9:27 am
That's a big sales point. I'm running out of hdd space fast. It's still too expensive..I'll buy one secondhand in a few years time. For the moment I'll just get another 2Tb laptop hdd for £60 = @ $80 which will give me 4Tb of internal hdd capacity.

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 9:51 am
Ron,

This thread is about a new high end PC requirement, not the shit you buy from jumble sales.

Are you posting just to deliberately wind people up?

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 10:05 am
Hype is toxic and is designed to make even those with little money waste it on over the top equipment which is not needed.
I wonder who pulls the strings.
This forum is for helping people.. not parting them from their hard earned money.

You and Beatbreaker promoted the expensive Xtendamix, and you belittled VDJ Pro which offers a vastly superior and cheaper service. Why? I don't trust either of you. I'm sure both of you will be pleased to know you wasted a lot of my money.

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 10:51 am
I would choose for a GTX1060 6GB graphic card , an i7 processor and 8 GB memory . This should be fast enough to last for years .

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 11:06 am
We can just lock this thread now as Ron is going to just keep adding his psycho schizophrenic paranoid views, and misinformation as he still and never will look at the bigger picture.

SMDH......

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 12:29 pm
Or the forum admins give us an "ignore user" mode. Please .......

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 12:34 pm
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
@Ron While everyone is entitled to voice their opinion here, please stick to the topic. I'm sure you've been asked this before.

If Huey wants to spend his money on a new shiny machine, that's his business. When users push their machines to the limits and decide to upgrade, it's a good thing. The more users test the limits the faster the software evolves.

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 2:42 pm
freppaPRO InfinityMember since 2002
I think you have found a great laptop there: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=34-154-900

The specs looks great, just buy It !

Now I still use my old Asus G55, but when I will buy me a new one, this one will surely be one of the favorites to compare with.

The "Power" for us Vj´s is booth in grafic and cpu, when we use several programs doing videos, and multiple efx and taking messages on screens through network or wifi and the same time record this.. things will get heavy.

Like you showed in the link, its not a cheap laptop that can do all that AND record at the same time (I would really like to try to record any of my gigs for 4 hours ;).

+1 for Mix Emergency on PC, but that will never happen :(

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 5:09 pm
This machine looks good on paper, and is not that expensive, when you have the money. Who buys a rowboat, when they can afford a 300 foot yacht? If you don't understand that some of us have the money to spend, then this thread is not for you. Start your own thread for budget computers. He has stated that he does not want your input on "his" subject, so respect "his thread".

My only issues with this computer is the 15 inch screen, and the brand MSI, itself. I don't have any opinion about the reliability, as I don't know anyone that uses it. I want as big a screen as I can get. My desktop has been down for almost a year, and I miss my 27 inch monitor. I need a new MB, RAM, Processor, and Video Card. I have been busy and lazy, but it's time to get it back. My 17" ASUS ROG is a little over 4 years old, so I'm also looking to upgrade both.

Hopefully, guys that use MSI will chime in and let you know their experience. I for one don't like to rush a purchase, because I don't like regrets. It may take me a little longer, but I'm happy with my purchase. Good luck and keep us posted.

发表时间 Wed 06 Feb 19 @ 9:27 pm
67%