快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Mobile DJ Lighting Help - Page: 1

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

gmediaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Like many of you, I am always trying to cut down on setup time without compromising on performance. It is time to update/upgrade our lighting as well.

I have seen these pictures of DJ setups with just two GOBO/moving heads on each side of the booth on top of the speakers or on top of a truss, etc. I have always thought, "man, if I could put on a decent light show with just two (maybe 4) moving lights, that would simplify things so much!"

What are your thoughts for those that have a similar setup or who have seen them in action. Are they enough for mobile DJs for weddings, school dances, and corporate parties? Would they feel cheated at all or what do you think.

Also, I so wish I was a gobo/moving head light expert, so that I knew exactly what to buy. Here are a few options I have been thinking about, but I may not be thinking in the right direction:

A. (2) Chauvet DJ Intimidator Spot 375Z (150W LED) ($2K USD)
Is this the price-point I should be expecting, or are there better bang-for-the-buck options that you'd suggest.

B. (2) ADJ Vizi BSW 300 (300W LED) ($4K USD)
Is this overkill for DJ's at 300W, or would this be perfect? Would two do the trick?

C. (4) ADJ Pocket Pro's (25W LED) ($300 x 4 = $1200USD)
Thinking one on each speaker and two on a truss stand if we went that route.

D. Go a different route.

Thank you all!!

Chris

发表时间 Sat 14 Apr 18 @ 3:17 pm

发表时间 Sat 14 Apr 18 @ 4:05 pm
938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Another good inexpensive option:

https://youtu.be/E3-njFee518

A pair of these can definitely cover a typical size venue.

I bought one unit for my second system. Just so it doesn’t lonely, I just add 2 uplights outer, 2 stobes inner, and it sits on the centre.

But I will definitely get another unit and the pair will become the primary.

发表时间 Sun 15 Apr 18 @ 9:07 am
Will you only use Movinglights(MH) for Mobile DJ Light?
Will you Not use Groundlight,Effekts, Strobe,etc.

Find the ADJ Vizibeam 5 R very nice but iself have only at the Moment these with DMX,S2Light and Remote over IR,Switch and, etc.for Groundlight,Uplighting and Effekts.

4× Varytec Par 56 Led
2x Eurolite PST 9 .
The Eurolite PST 9 Watt LED RGB are Not so good in Colourmixing,tjing the give better Pinspot for the Mirrorball.
Use somes of S2L Effekt (4x) ADJ Dual Gem Led,Varytec Sundancer ,Varytec Stageray ,Botex Strobe,Scanic Colourmoon,all with Remote over DJ Switch and too 2x Par 30 Cans with 3x 9W RGB Led and 6x low budget 10 W. LED for Uplightings.

1X Full HD Beamer for Lasereffects. (Have not test this with the BeamerTools 4 Laser, but in next Time i will Start to test wen i have Time)

Use the ADJ Lightbridge One and 2x ADJ LTS 6 Stands.

Will buy me in Future more DMX Light we some better Par,Effekts and Movinglights we this:
8× ADJ Mega Par
2-4× Scanner/ Led Scanner or /and 4x MH with Gobo
4x MH Washer
2x Blinder

Greatings,Dirk

Think you can Start Best with
4x Led Par Cans /or 4x ADJ Mega Pars
2-4× MH
1x Strobe
1x Centereffect ADJ Quad Gem Led or other
2x Effekts we ADJ Quad Phase or Similar
1x Good Fogmachine or Fazer/Hazer
1x Good Stand or Truss.
DMX Hybrid Hardwarepult or DMX Software with Interface or a Combination of this.
Greatings Dirk

发表时间 Sun 15 Apr 18 @ 2:39 pm
Thank you guys fir chiming in!

I am specifically talking about moving head gobos though. I am needing advice on those.

Sorry for the confusion :(

Chris

发表时间 Sun 15 Apr 18 @ 2:50 pm
The thing is, for coverage, a moving head is only going to give you one beam of light. If it has a prism then maybe 2-3, but prisms tend to be only on the higher end models. If you've then got the heads set so they move around the room, a lot of the time there'll be no light on the dance floor.

The Martin Wizard I linked to has both a parabolic mirror and a barrel mirror. For one light, it gives out a huge coverage of beams (over 80). That's why the one light/two light guys favour them.

发表时间 Sun 15 Apr 18 @ 3:25 pm
Did someone mention a DMX control plugin for VDJ?

So I ended up buying two gigbar 2's and 4 ADJ Pocket Spots.

All are pretty nice, but I need to learn to tame them quick. I didn't have quite enough time before a big gig to learn all I need to know, so I used Audio Mode on each. Great for full-on dance songs, but sucked for slow/intimate songs. THe photographer probably hated us too. It is either all or nothing with these. Maybe I could have scaled back the audio sensitivity, but dang.

I need something to focus two of the spots on the center of the dance floor when there is a special couple dance, while the other two spots slowly pan all around the room. As it was, they even panned behind is. This was a bit of a waste, since there was just a wall there.

I'm thinking the ideal would be a DMX power dimmer so that the dance lights (minus the spots) could be on audio and when I give them full power, they are blitzing the room, and when I give them less power, they are slowing down and not so active. Then I would have the spots on a simple auto sequence and when I press scene 1, they go to full dance mode, scene 2 is slow dance mode, and scene 3 is special dance (focal on the middle of stage).

I need to figure all of this out. If I can accomplish it all without lugging a few dimmer blocks around I will. Otherwise, that is what I have to do I think.

Any thoughts on my ramble?

Chris

发表时间 Fri 27 Apr 18 @ 9:44 pm
manxcatPRO InfinityMember since 2012
I am using 2 older Chauvet GigBars, an LT and an IRC. I tried a number of different control methods including the remotes, the peddles, a stand alone DMX controller, and the freestyler software...hated them all. I then found Q Light Controller Plus which has been fantastic. I have a USB-DMX512 interface connected to a wireless transmitter and wireless receivers on the 2 bars. One of the most important things for me was a clean beat to trigger the lights, to make that work right I ran the booth output of my Nurmark NVii into a Pyle PAD30MXUBT USB sound card and used the input from that as the trigger in QLC+, works really well because I can use the simple EQ on the Pyle to turn filter frequencies and set the input intensity. The GigBar LT has the easy ability to install more fixtures on top of it so I mounted a 24 LED UV light bar and ran a DMX cable to it from the GigBar so it gets the wireless control too.

In QLC+ I have a TON of functions I created to set any seen with one button and I control that button with a 24" touch screen. In the past I have used a LaunchPad as well as a APC Mini, but I like the touch screen best. None of this was extremely quick, I probably have days refining my console interface in QLC+, but when I started, I had stuff working within an hour better than any of the other solutions mentioned above. I am not sure if it helps the original poster with his question, but the GigBars do spin and are not too expensive to get into and with QLC+ they work really well.

发表时间 Sat 28 Apr 18 @ 3:05 am
You can't get the moving heads to do exactly what you want without dmx
But dmx is a pretty big and time consuming step up that you may or may not want to take

But you can the moving heads to act in a nice way for a slow song with just a master-slave setup, and the remotes you can get for them.
ADJ moving heads usually have a mirrored master-slave function, which is also useful to get better looks
And if they are placed next to you, they usually have a program that only pans to the front and other that only pans 2 the back

So if you want to avoid using dmx I would:
- master slave them - 2 of them mirrored
- Select the auto program that only pans to the front
And for slow songs
- disable sound activation - that makes them go into slow movements
- select 1 color - like white for a first dance
- select 1 gobo - which may be no gobo at all
Then to get to fast songs you select gobo and color 0 to "set it free", and reactivate sound activation, and they are flying around again

发表时间 Sat 28 Apr 18 @ 10:48 am
Good feedback!Thank you! I guess I figured that DMS was the only real way for the moving heads, but I was hoping the gigbar 2's could be just a bit more tamable without. I'm dorking around with myADJ DMX operator (16CH) and the GigBar 2 right now and a bit sad at how unfriendly a live show would be with this sort of setup. I do not mind learning DMX and spending the time on it if the actual gigs are not complicated by it.

manxcat wrote :
I am using 2 older Chauvet GigBars, an LT and an IRC. I tried a number of different control methods including the remotes, the peddles, a stand alone DMX controller, and the freestyler software...hated them all. I then found Q Light Controller Plus which has been fantastic. I have a USB-DMX512 interface connected to a wireless transmitter and wireless receivers on the 2 bars. One of the most important things for me was a clean beat to trigger the lights, to make that work right I ran the booth output of my Nurmark NVii into a Pyle PAD30MXUBT USB sound card and used the input from that as the trigger in QLC+, works really well because I can use the simple EQ on the Pyle to turn filter frequencies and set the input intensity. The GigBar LT has the easy ability to install more fixtures on top of it so I mounted a 24 LED UV light bar and ran a DMX cable to it from the GigBar so it gets the wireless control too.

In QLC+ I have a TON of functions I created to set any seen with one button and I control that button with a 24" touch screen. In the past I have used a LaunchPad as well as a APC Mini, but I like the touch screen best. None of this was extremely quick, I probably have days refining my console interface in QLC+, but when I started, I had stuff working within an hour better than any of the other solutions mentioned above. I am not sure if it helps the original poster with his question, but the GigBars do spin and are not too expensive to get into and with QLC+ they work really well.

Thank you for sharing all of that. It sounds similar to where I'm at. I don't really think having everything touchscreen or mouse-based is my favorite idea, but I do like how simplified you have it.

I would love to do everything from a simple, small, DMX controller. I have the Gigbar 2's programmed well enough with the ADJ DMX Operator, but I cannot manually program the LED flood/spots independently without using it's 23channel mode. The only reason I would need to is that the spots are SOOO bright. I had complaints already right out of the gate. I need to back the spots off while keeping the derby's bright. Anyway, I cannot explain why 90% of DJ controllers only do 16 channels (1-8 A, 9-16 B). It would be stupid easy to just make a 17-24 C button. Once you step into 24 channel boards, they are much bulkier and not as common. I don't know how well I could program/automate the Pocket Pros (..sorry if I keep calling them "Pocket Spots". Probably confusing with Inno Pocket Spot.). I would like one "scene" for "special" dances (bride/groom first dance, prom king/queen dance, etc.) where our two middle spots/moving heads are pointed at approximate center of the dance floor with a rotating gobo while the other two are slowly panning the left and the right sides of the dance floor and room with multiple gobos and colors. Another scene would be something similar without focusing on the center for slow dances, and then a few where the middle two are panning the dance floor more quickly while the outside two are panning the room. Is this even doable with a hardware DMX controller like the ADJ DMX Operator? What is the general approach to making that happen.

I think DMX software with Midi controller sounds like it would do the most and be ideal. I hate the thought of bringing another PC, but maybe it could run on our secondary (backup) DJ PC. I am looking at the Q Light Controller Plus as you suggested. I'm also looking at the Elation Compu Show with a MidiCon 2 or MidiCon Pro controller. The Elation with the MidiCon is like a $2200 - $3800 investment, depending on which route you go. I know they would do what I'm talking about, but I don't know that this simplifies anything. lol

What do you guys think?

Chris

发表时间 Tue 01 May 18 @ 4:26 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I use a USB DMX dongle running from the same PC as VDJ. I have FreestylerDMX running along side VDJ. VDJ had a FreestylerDMX plugin that allows you to send beats and commands directly from VDJ.

The initial setup for your show can take a little bit of time. The learning curve is mostly with the software (any software). That being said, you can't beat it for control and setup time after your initially running.

I fly my speakers, lighting, and projector on my truss. The lights are all DMX cabled together. My PC has a USB/DMX dongle that goes into an ADJ WyFly wireless DMX transceiver. The truss has the receiving ADJ WyFly that feeds the lights. At the far end of the light chain is a DMX terminator. The terminator is important. It will help stop random spasms in the lights.

I set up shows for event types or reoccurring venues. I have an annual event that I use all the same lights at. Being able to connect it all and go is nice. My future light purchases will have WyFly built in so there is less cabling.

In VDJ, I script commands via keyboard shortcuts or controller mapping. This puts main things like blackout, strobe, solid colors, dance scenes, moving head home positions, all at a convenient shortcut all from VDJ.

发表时间 Tue 01 May 18 @ 8:22 pm
I'm surprised no one's mentioned SoundSwitch yet.

They're fairly new to the game and a bit expensive, but their software does use the same kind of visual style that Pioneer's new Rekordbox DJ addon uses, where you draw the lighting routine.

发表时间 Tue 01 May 18 @ 9:23 pm
ive had all those lights, moving heads, gig bars, etc... i'm not a fan of DMX. i like to use the freedom pars, wireless and battery powered. keep the master next to you the rest can be laid out around the room. Makes a hell of an impressive display and super easy to manage. can change colors with a simple remote, no wires to worry about. Even can dance to the beat of the music. Once you go wireless and batt powered you never want to go back.

发表时间 Tue 01 May 18 @ 9:50 pm

heres a pic

发表时间 Tue 01 May 18 @ 9:51 pm
and another

发表时间 Tue 01 May 18 @ 9:52 pm
lucas569 wrote :
ive had all those lights, moving heads, gig bars, etc... i'm not a fan of DMX. i like to use the freedom pars, wireless and battery powered. keep the master next to you the rest can be laid out around the room. Makes a hell of an impressive display and super easy to manage. can change colors with a simple remote, no wires to worry about. Even can dance to the beat of the music. Once you go wireless and batt powered you never want to go back.

It's a very nice looking wash. Do you have any pictures of the dance floor lit up or spotlight dances?

发表时间 Tue 01 May 18 @ 11:03 pm
no not at the moment

发表时间 Thu 03 May 18 @ 4:53 am

发表时间 Thu 03 May 18 @ 7:43 pm
Bluetooth is great for short-range connections, but I am amazed at how manufacturers will try to use short-range wireless tech in their products. Personally, I think nearly everything wireless should be IP and WIFI based. It is more universal, easy to extend/repeat, and has a pretty long range out of the gate. Just saying.

Chris

发表时间 Fri 04 May 18 @ 2:18 am
Both WiFi and Bluetooth frequencies start getting real noisy when the venue starts filling with cell phones. The best way to keep connectivity with those is to get the transmitters and receivers up above the meat sacs.

Bluetooth also has a delay. So, if your letting the lights run auto programs or just changing colors, it’s nice and easy to do with a phone app.
But, the delay would kill me when I live mix a light show.

发表时间 Fri 04 May 18 @ 3:46 am
91%