快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: Beat Grid Question

由于该帖子已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

Hi folks. I know from searching the forum that my topic has been "Beat" to death (pun intended). But I still have a question because I have never done anything but the automatic analyzing prior to now.

I have been playing around with the new SoundSwitch product. That's a discussion for another thread. However, it is clear that for that product to work well, you really have to have your beat grids tight and proper.

So I am trying to learn how to open the BPM editor and manually tighten my beat grids. I have only tried this with about 2 or 3 songs so far and I am quite sure it takes a lot more practice than I have to date in order to get good at it.

My question really pertains to the number of beat anchors that typically end up being needed to properly chart out the beat grid for a song. It seems apparent to me that the songs I am trying to play with weren't recorded with any metronome effect to keep them on track. As a result, it seems like I need a lot of beat anchors in each one to keep it on track. By a lot I am talking about maybe 10-12 on average. I guess I am wondering if this is normal or whether I am likely doing something wrong. I just want to get some feedback who do lots of manual beat grid correction who can tell me what kind of expectations to have with this process of manually adjusting the grids.

Thanks folks,
Rob

发表时间 Sat 03 Feb 18 @ 8:12 am
the number of beat anchors depends on the music really

if you are working on music that uses real drums then it could be many depending how tight you want it

with most modern electronic music you will only need 1 depending sometimes they go off after a drop.

PS if you have access to ableton live i would suggest you warp tracks with live drummers that way beat gridding will be simple :-)

发表时间 Sat 03 Feb 18 @ 12:55 pm
I don't have Ableton Live but I have Presonus Studio One Professional with Melodyne 4 Editor. I know the Studio One process to warp a song. However I could use some help in understanding the full workflow for doing that. In other words, I have a very clean library of music with proper metadata in almost everything. What are the steps and in what order to warp the songs without messing up the database.xml file or the metadata in the song files. If I import the .mp3 file, it seems when I am done I will have to export a new copy of the song. Will it have the metadata that the imported song had? Can you help me understand the end to end workflow?

Thanks .......... Rob

发表时间 Wed 07 Feb 18 @ 2:28 am
The only problem here is... songs that arn't edm, that have real instruments, warping them will ruin the feel of the track. It's often the 'humanism' inaccuracies of the music that people who like those styles appreciate, even if they don't know why. Personally i like perfectly tight music.

发表时间 Wed 07 Feb 18 @ 7:36 am
I'd go with simply anchoring at cue points, places likely to switch.

Some times the issue isn't the musicians either. When the track was edited together, if it was done on tape or something like cool edit, instead of a modern DAW / Sequencer, the timing can go off where ever that splice happened to be.

发表时间 Wed 07 Feb 18 @ 7:42 am
sorry Rob i am not familiar with Presonus Studio One maybe someone else here can help with it.

i did find this with a quick search they say read from page 130 on about Time stretching http://daw.one/presonus-studio-one-3-reference-manual-in-pdf-unofficial/

and this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv9k8fiEg8Q
and maybe this as well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAl7v_D5UjQ

as for how tags work in that software I am not sure.

i will say this definitely make new copies of you files that are warped and save the old ones separately.

发表时间 Wed 07 Feb 18 @ 10:25 am
Cubase has Pitch and Warp. Very easy to use. Click and that hit will move to the Grid.

发表时间 Wed 07 Feb 18 @ 2:08 pm
mitchiemasha wrote :
warping them will ruin the feel of the track

Not necessarily.

I personally have warped lots of oldies so I could either incorporate them into mixes/sets, or spice them up a bit with some extra percussion etc.

Those that I've actually played out to a live audience, no one's ever said anything to me about how I ruined the track!

Warping doesn't have to be super tight on every beat. You can warp every four bars (for example) if you want, and keep the in between parts loose.

发表时间 Wed 07 Feb 18 @ 9:54 pm
groovindj wrote :

Warping doesn't have to be super tight on every beat. You can warp every four bars (for example) if you want, and keep the in between parts loose.

Exactly... that was a perfect example of using a quote and pushing it past the context of the rest of the persons comments. I'm usually quite careful with my words because of such but well done for catching me out. I should of put 'can' not 'will' and 'when done to extremes'.

发表时间 Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 12:12 pm
virtual dj get my beatgrids right 99.5% of the time but for some reason rekordbox is rubbish at it

发表时间 Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 1:42 pm
mitchiemasha wrote :
I should of put

No, you should have put...

:-P

发表时间 Thu 08 Feb 18 @ 6:33 pm

(陈旧帖子或论坛版块会自动关闭)