快速登录:  

Forum: General Discussion

话题: vdj 8 vs rekordbox dj sound difference - Page: 4

由于该帖子的部分内容已年深日久,可能包含陈旧过时或描述错误的信息。

PitchQuality 3 sounds like where the sweet spot is for max functionality, then. Thanks!

发表时间 Sat 06 May 17 @ 6:58 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Adion wrote :
pitchQuality 3 and turning off master tempo would have the same effect. (or pitchQuality 0 would turn it off even with master tempo on)

Does pitchQuality 3 offer improved quality over 2 when making large speed changes?

发表时间 Mon 08 May 17 @ 4:44 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
No, it's the same as 2,except that the pitch algorithm is completely bypassed when playing at 0%

发表时间 Mon 08 May 17 @ 6:07 am
Can we copy the audio quality of Rekordbox with the Virtual Dj 8.2 internal Equalizer?

发表时间 Wed 17 May 17 @ 8:28 pm
An interesting topic

The tonal qualtity is going to be coloured by many things, the encoding of the file, the dsp and decoding in vdj, the dac in your laptop or controller, your amp, the speakers the room your playing in etc

Comparing one program to another is always going to give different results.

Ideally the output should be flat , people often think that it sounds better if it's either punchy or warm.

I don't think this is very important, unless your on a mission to try and say program A is better than program B , the tonal quality is a personal thing anyway, although for disco play out its normally accepted that punchy base is king..

Surely you eq every venue ?

发表时间 Thu 18 May 17 @ 5:19 am
wmorgan12 wrote :
vdj 8 vs rekordbox dj sound difference

All settings on mixer and laptops are same. Both laptops are the same spec
In fact laptop running rekordbox dj the master volume is set at 3 o'clock and the laptop running vdj8 is at max please watch the video and let us know what you think

please click on the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb4Hu-7hFxk&t=18s

Video is unavailable! ((

发表时间 Sun 25 Jun 17 @ 5:36 pm
umm your right its gone no idea why will upload it again thanks

发表时间 Sun 25 Jun 17 @ 7:40 pm
Hi,

I prefer the VirtualDJ 8.3 sound.
Sound more natural than Rekordbox.

Rekordbox limiter behave too fast, and you need more headroom, as if the Rekordbox DSP audio Engine is only 16/24 bits, even if the software is compilled at 32/64 bits.
Rekordbox sound compressed and lifeless, even with Auto Gain off/on, and with several Headroom (0/-3/-6/-9/-12 dB)

My DDJ 1000 sound better with latest Virtual DJ 8.3 b4742 than RekordBox V5.4.x. (Mixvibes audio engine ?) (just to verify that the Stereo hardware mode is on, in hidden DDJ1K settings menu by pressing 1 sec HOT cues).

VIrtualDJ have a 32 bits float software DSP Audio Engine.

发表时间 Sun 20 Jan 19 @ 10:13 am
I've adjusted the equalizer settings for examples of harware mixing consoles from Pioneer or Denon and Numark. My equalizer settings came to the result after much testing:
EqalizerMode: Full Kill
EqalizerLow: 100
EqalizerMid: 1350
EqalizerHigh: 15000
PitchQuality: 3
Otherwise you can still use various plugins as Mster FX which optimize the sound.
However, the following would be nice which would improve the sound properly.
It would be good to turn off the internal limiter, or to be able to adjust this according to your own needs and sound equipment (which is different in each case). It is for example that all my MP3s have about 95 DB, and I do not use autogain.
That's why of course I could not provide a Zero DB.
The Limiter work but much too early, even if you slightly increase the bass, or uses an effect, this starts to work. I do not think so well.
And I have to mention (nobody tells me my MP3s are too loud), I have no overrides. Also not if I play with other programs.
If you could adjust the limiter, or even better use your own, turn off the internal, then the sound would be even better.

Of course it also depends on the hardware as the sound is.
But I can see on Recordbox or even in my ears Traktor, which comes there a little more to my ears ;-)
But should not mean that they are better, in functionality VDJ is best in my eyes, only the sound would have to be optimized, or adjusted according to their own needs.
Although I also know that Virtual DJ uses the ZPlane algorithm, that's very good.
Greetings Dani

发表时间 Mon 21 Jan 19 @ 6:11 pm
The limiter *only* starts working if clipping would otherwise occur, so that's definitely not too early.
If you need more headroom, you can still use the zeroDb option, even with autoGain disabled.

If you want to use your own limiter plugin, you can simply load it as a master effect.
As long as it prevents clipping, the default limiter will not kick in.

发表时间 Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 3:38 am
Adion wrote :
The limiter *only* starts working if clipping would otherwise occur, so that's definitely not too early.
If you need more headroom, you can still use the zeroDb option, even with autoGain disabled.

If you want to use your own limiter plugin, you can simply load it as a master effect.
As long as it prevents clipping, the default limiter will not kick in.

No I have try this , ZeroDB works only when Autogain is on ....
Otherwise the Sound keep at the same Gain (Level) DB....
And the limiter sets in too early ...
He is wrong ...
A limiter can be set from which volume he should use ... And if clipping arises, which also depends on the hardware ...
I turn up the bass or the level only a small minimal piece, or I use an effect (example, an effect for the master, equalizer ect.), And already the Limiter starts to work, you can see this on the red LED ..
And I have no overrides in my tracks with 95DB, not even on other programs ...
A limiter must be able to be adapted to the equipment, I have other programs where this can be done ...
I do not have to argue over it anymore, I do know about these things for over 20 years .. Sorry, sounds a bit rude sometimes, but that should not be it, I just give my experience back, and what I do think as a DJ how it should be ..
Viile is good, and I support Virtual DJ with my experience and what I think .. But you should be more concerned with certain things like sound ...
Have a nice day :-) Greeting Dani

发表时间 Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 2:02 pm
Digital clipping doesn't depend (only) on the hardware, it depends on the signal sent to the hardware in the first place.
If clipping occurs there, then that information is already lost and can't be retrieved anymore.

The limiter in VDJ only kicks in if the signal crosses the black line in the picture. There's no later time it could be set to kick in without allowing clipping to occur.
Not sure what you mean by 95dB. On which scale and how do you measure this?

发表时间 Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 3:09 pm
Adion wrote :
Digital clipping doesn't depend (only) on the hardware, it depends on the signal sent to the hardware in the first place.
If clipping occurs there, then that information is already lost and can't be retrieved anymore.

The limiter in VDJ only kicks in if the signal crosses the black line in the picture. There's no later time it could be set to kick in without allowing clipping to occur.
Not sure what you mean by 95dB. On which scale and how do you measure this?

OK, then you should try the same songs with a proper limiter of production programs.
And you will see that your limiter is not set up correctly and is working too early ... I have nothing more to add.
And if music is overdriven is very dependent on your hardware ;-)
It is strange that with other programs the sound is not dampened by a badly programmed limiter ;-)

发表时间 Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 3:17 pm
I agree that the VDJ limiter could be made to sound a lot better. I use pro VST limiter/maximizer plugins in Adobe Audition, Ableton Live, Cubase etc. and they are far less harsh.

The VDJ one is so obvious (and nasty sounding) when it kicks in, whereas even a free VST like LoudMax is so much "smoother" and can be pushed well into hard "brickwall" levels without sounding bad.

发表时间 Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 5:26 pm
groovindj wrote :
I agree that the VDJ limiter could be made to sound a lot better. I use pro VST limiter/maximizer plugins in Adobe Audition, Ableton Live, Cubase etc. and they are far less harsh.

The VDJ one is so obvious (and nasty sounding) when it kicks in, whereas even a free VST like LoudMax is so much "smoother" and can be pushed well into hard "brickwall" levels without sounding bad.

Thats also because I say this ..
I have many Limiters these are better..
Furthermore, there must be an option to turn off the limiter, and adjust .., for example, if you want to use your own limiter, or what else is often the case, that in a location a hardware limiter already exists.
There are enough reasons.
And as I said, the limiter sets in too early, and the sound is very poor compared to others ..
If Virtual DJ wants that the quality is better then it has to change that ... Only then it can compete with other programs ;-)

发表时间 Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 6:30 pm
I already told you, if you want to use your own limiter you can do so.
The vdj limiter *only* kicks in when clipping would otherwise occur, it can not kick in any later, since then distortion already occurred.
A hardware limiter can do nothing for you if the output of VDJ would already be clipped.
If you want more headroom, lower your volume.

发表时间 Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 6:53 pm
Adion wrote :
The vdj limiter *only* kicks in when clipping would otherwise occur, it can not kick in any later, since then distortion already occurred.
A hardware limiter can do nothing for you if the output of VDJ would already be clipped.

This is because othe Progs have a better Sound....

And using 2 Limiter is shit ....

You should more looking in other Programs , and also look at other Limiters , than You will you how these tools work... ;-)

Good Night

发表时间 Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 11:14 pm
Hi,

Strange. Limiter of VirtualDJ work very nice, and sound much better than Rekordbox V5.4.2 (Sound not limited but compressed to early)

No problem with my .flac collection analysed in VirtualDJ.

VirtualDJ sound more natural than others, and limiter is "on" only if i make something wrong. and not to early.
The only thing is that the file have to be analysed before the first reading, to calculate peak, like all DJ software.

发表时间 Tue 22 Jan 19 @ 11:29 pm
djdutschi wrote :
Adion wrote :

This is because othe Progs have a better Sound....

And using 2 Limiter is shit ....

You should more looking in other Programs , and also look at other Limiters , than You will you how these tools work... ;-)

Good Night

Maybe its because English is not your native language but you have to understand, if the digital signal is ALREADY CLIPPED (stream is all one's) before going into any DAC, the signal quality is already lost. The VDJ limiter activates when this is going to happen, to save the signal from being clipped (not before)

发表时间 Wed 23 Jan 19 @ 7:54 am
Also there's a tremendous difference between a compressor, a compressor/limiter and a limiter.
The limiter in VirtualDJ is a brickwall/peakstop limiter that limits (compresses with ratio infinity to 1) the sound if it's going to distort. It is there to prevent distortion and NOTHING ELSE.

If you want a compressor or a "smooth limiter" that will limit the sound in earlier stages, then you can use a plug-in.
No, there's nothing wrong in using 2 "limiters" or 2 compressors, or whatever...
In fact if you use a VST compressor/limiter and you set it properly the limiter of VirtualDJ should not get engaged. If it gets engaged it means that you didn't configure your VST limiter correctly and it still allows the signal to get too hot and distort.

Hard VS Soft limiter:
For anyone that has some experience with compressors, compressor/limiters and limiters the differences are obvious, but:
You can't have a "soft" limiter if you don't start compressing the signal prior to the max acceptable value.
A "soft" limiter set at 0db peak, will start compressing the signal as early as -6db (or even less) with a progressive ratio
So, as an example, it will use ratio 2:1 at -6db, 10:1 at -3db and infinity:1 just before 0db which is the stop threshold.

Therefore a "soft" limiter can alter the dynamics of your sound even if it doesn't need to.

As an extreme example where your audio peaks are constantly between -6db and 0db (without ever exceeding 0db) the "soft" limiter will alter the dynamics without any "real" reason as your peaks would not cause distortion anyway.

A "hard" limiter does not engage if it doesn't have too, but when it engages it makes it's presence obvious. And it's presence becomes more and more obvious the more your peaks exceed the threshold level.
A peak going to +1db (and getting compressed) will be almost un-noticed, where a peak going to +9db (and getting compressed) will make a far more drastic difference in sound.

So, as a recap:
VirtualDJ features a "hard" limiter (also known as brickwall or peakstop limiter) in order to prevent sound distortion.
It DOES NOT feature a compressor/limiter that will help you maximize your volume.
It DOES NOT feature a "soft" limiter because that would alter the dynamics of your sound.
VirtualDJ limiter is your LAST guard before DIGITAL distortion.
If you wish to have a soft limiter or a compressor to alter the dynamics of your sound you can use a VST plug-in without any problem at all.
If you use a VST compressor/limiter and you set it up correctly, VirtualDJ's own limiter should not engage!

发表时间 Wed 23 Jan 19 @ 11:09 am
91%